Thread: Anybody done dollie OOAK repaints?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What materials do you need? What has been your experiences? For vinyl? For porcelein?

I've done drawing and painting before, so I think I could do the painting OK, but I have no idea what kind of materials one uses or anything.

I was looking at the Living Dead dolls website today and there are a few that I really like the idea of buying and repainting. I love goth stuff and want a few dolls and their clothes, but I'd prefer mine to be more pretty than scary. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm considering one who looks like she has dark spots on her skin- I'd basically just be painting over the spots on her and wanting her to be a really pale off-white. The other's skin is fine, but I'd want to repaint the eyebrows and eyes with some fine detailing.

Any suggestions on websites or anything to help me see if I could do it and where I'd get materials and instruction? Thanks!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 10, 2006 10:57 PM: Message edited by: horsemom ]</font>

13Pumpkins

I am actually working on a couple of LDD repaints. But their not too detailed. MissFelcity'sCloset has done some My Scene repaints. One of my Madisons... the scary smiling one who looked to much like Janet Jackson is now a lovely Goth, with everything re done.

You have to remove the old with non acetone nail polish remover. YOu have to scrub with a cotton ball/qtp. BUT if it starts to get dirty, chabge it, or it will msear and that is really hard to remove. If it won't come completely off, you might have to try pure acetone, which I am a little scared off. Oh, and don't let it sit to long or it will rubberize the doll's vynl. The thinnest paint brush possible is neccessary. YOu can use craft acrylics, but they don't work as well as artist ones.

[img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do repaints all the time but not as radical as what you have in mind. I generally use acryllic paint for eyebrows, to add a slant to asian eyes and for lips. I use oil pastels for blush on cheeks and smear it with my thumb. I've added freckles (before the new AGs with freckles were released), Vulcan eyebrows and somewhat elfin eyebrows.

I think the key to success is the right brush. I generally don't use a brush larger than 00 and I try to keep it almost dry -- just enough paint to make the first line visible and then go back over it, if it works. Good luck!
    (edited to correct midnight typos)

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 11, 2006 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Sakurako ]</font>

13Pumpkins

Originally posted by horsemom:
    Thank you! That doesn't sound so bad! Do you have to put any sealant over the paint when you're finished, or are you just careful not to scratch the paint?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am sorry, that was before breakfast. Yo have to seal them so they don't scratch it.
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the info and link- I've seen her work before and love it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you! That doesn't sound so bad! Do you have to put any sealant over the paint when you're finished, or are you just careful not to scratch the paint?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i use the sealer (matte) to thin the paint for freckles, that way you dont end up with a sealer "halo" around the freckles...=]