Thread: OT - Going to Seattle this weekend, What should we visit??!!??

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Ye Old Curiosity is down by the wharf area, walking distance from the ferry & Pike's Market. At Pikes don't forget to visit the fish market for the fish throwing show and be sure to rub the bronze pig for luck. If you like donuts, there is a booth were they make mini ones fresh...yum, yum!)

If it's nice weather, a ferry ride is fairly inexpensive if you walk on; about $5 westbound and free eastbound to Bremerton or Bainbridge. The view is gorgeous during sunny weather. Google WA state Ferry for information.

All of the thrift stores I went to were on the Peninsula but I've heard that the Seattle Goodwill is fun, although in a dicey neighborhood.

Hope this helps some, have lots of fun and a safe drive!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I live a bit north of Seattle. I don't normally do any of the typical 'tourist' type things. I work a about 4 blocks from the Seattle Center but don't visit often. The Space Needle (at the Seattle Cener)is kind of cool but I know there is a charge to go to the top. Havimom is correct that the Old Curiosity Shop is down on the waterfront (very close to the Pike Place Market and the Ferry Terminal). A ferry boat ride would be fun too! I can't think of anything else to suggest at the moment but will post if I think of something! - Meg B.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

My BFF and I have been dying to go to Seattle, and it looks like this weekend we will finally have the time! We are each interested in relocating to the surrounding area, but have no idea what we should look for, or which neighborhoods/cities are decent or, which we should stay away from.

We are leaving on Fri. morning, and coming back on Sat. evening. On Fri. we are hoping to look at cities/neighborhoods, and on Sat. we are going to visit Seattle itself. We know we want to go to Pike Place Market on Sat morning, but we are on an insanely tight budget, so museums and other paid attractions are out.

For those of you who live up there, and those who have visited, what would be the highlights that we shouldn't miss? I've always wanted to vist Ye Old Curiosity Shop, but I have no idea where it is. We love Thrift Stores, so if anyone knows some good ones, please list them! All advice is welcome! We have no idea what we're doing!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

~Dee

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 12, 2006 12:57 AM: Message edited by: DaisyDee ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I LOVE the Pike Place Market & would definitely go there. Besides being an important piece of Seattle's history with beautiful displays of produce & great little places to eat, they also reportedly have ghosts. Also try to visit the Rosalie Whyle Doll Museum in Belleview. It's probably the nicest doll museum in the country. Here's a link to info on it & also other attractions in the Seattle area. http://www.seattleattractions.com/doll.html I'd also see The Experience rock & roll museum at the Seattle Center. It has a lot of interactive exhibits. Oh, & Pioneer Square too. It has history, beautiful shops AND a tour of underground Seattle. That's an old part of town that was covered over & built on top of after a fire.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You could eat at Dick's Hamburgers, that's always fun. And go to Pike Place Market, of course.

I dunno. I grew up in Tacoma, but Seattle was never really a destination for us unless we wanted to go to a specific store. There's the outdoor shopping mall, but I can't remember what it's called... Hm. The underground tour is a waste of money, to be honest. The ads make it sound a lot greater than it is but basically you walk around in basements. The Seattle Science Center is a lot of fun - even if you aren't a kid - but from what I've heard, the Experience Music Center isn't worth the money but I haven't been myself so I couldn't say - maybe they've fixed it up lately?

If you're willing to bip down the freeway to Tacoma, you could go to Point Defiance Park, which is agreat park, and visit the fort, the Rose Garden and Pagoda, or the zoo. Also, from PDP you can take a ferry to an island. Don't ask me what you'll do once you get to the island [img]wink.gif[/img] .

As for places to live - what are you looking for? Great little neighborhoods? Thriving night life? Different areas are good for different reasons.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 12, 2006 01:00 PM: Message edited by: only1genevieve ]</font>