Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re-Wigging - HELP

joelanddeborah

Felina Doon, I wanted to tell you about a very quick fix we did for a doll that smelled terribly of smoke--

We took off her head and stuffed a strong-smelling dryer sheet inside the stuffing at the top of her body, and another one up inside her head. Then, we put the head back on and left her like that. It has been a couple of months, and she still has them in! But, I think we can take them out now, because she smells great.

Just something silly we found! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The poster mentioned that they used these two colors of paint for their red-haired doll: 941 Acorn Brown and 959 English Mustard.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep that was me. Felina, like you thought, Acrylic is the exact right thing to use. The brand for the two I used is Folk Art and came from Micheal's, and were about a buck each. They have incredibly fine brushes (should be in the sale isle), and toothpicks work well, too. I think having 2 different colors makes it look a bit more realistic, even if you use one a lot more than the other (I think I used more of the Acorn Brown).

Here's a picture of my girl's freckles, to show how the colors work with her hair. Melissa posted something very helpful in the same thread that I mentioned the colors I used (the search feature isn't working for me, so I can't find it), that you should use a color that's very similar to the doll's hair color, but a few shades lighter.

000 0451

Freckling, like re-wigging is really fun and easy. The best part about freckling is that you can take it off relatively easily if you decide you don't like it. I can't wait until you post pics [img]smile.gif[/img] !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got that same "Marie" wig for my Anne. Mine is a Little Sister Katie. That wig is really nice for Anne. The color is great and it has "skin" all over the top of her head so you can part her hair in the middle, on the side, or not at all. I have not freckled yet, but to be really Anne she still needs the "seven freckles on her nose" and maybe a few more for good measure. I will post pictures when I get her all the way done.

Thanks for all the freckle tips. Now I just need the time to do it!

~Abby

MissCurlyCat

Originally posted by Calyndra:

Thanks for all the freckle tips. Now I just need the time to do it!

~Abby
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It only takes 5 mins to freckle! It's very easy too. I don't think it will take you that long.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cami, your doll's freckles look so cute close up! One disappointing thing about freckled dolls is that you can't usually see the freckles in photos!

I noticed when freckling that I only needed one shade of paint. If you add more water as you go, the shade gets lighter and lighter. You also want to be sure to add water or the freckles get to be 3D and look more like raised moles! [img]wink.gif[/img]

CurlyCat is correct about how long it takes to freckle. In fact, if you go slowly, you'll find yourself trying to be too deliberate with where each one goes. Freckles should be organic--all over the place and splotched--to look natural, and that's best done by doing a quick job and not thinking about what you're doing too much. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all of the tips

DH Tightened her Limbs and I restuffed - I had to use a zip tie to get her head back on, but since she is for me I don't mind so much I just couldn't get the string tight enough and her original strings had been cut - I figure when I have the time I will buy better string and re-do her then.

She smells great now - I used some of my gentle shampoo on her and it made a BIG improvement. teh stuffing aired overnight and no longer smells after that and a little clean linen lysol.

All I need is for the Wig to get here and a good straw hat - She will get her freckles tonight after I run to the craft store

MissCurlyCat

I used a color called "Milk Chocolate" (See my new album called "Samantha's new do'")

I wanted darker freckles though. So if you want them to be darker look for this color.

I'll add the pictures of the new Sam with freckles later today.

ETA:
    BTW, I used contact cement to put on Samantha's new wig. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It worked though. I just had to hold my breath while putting it on! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 11, 2006 12:17 PM: Message edited by: MissCurlyCat ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font face="comic sans ms"><font color="hotpink">I was thinking about rewigging a Kit doll i have. You can buy wigs at any craft store like Michaels, right?</font></font>

MissCurlyCat

Originally posted by Hollister_Girl:
    <font face="comic sans ms"><font color="hotpink">I was thinking about rewigging a Kit doll i have. You can buy wigs at any craft store like Michaels, right?</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I bought mine at a craft store. But i heard that Micheals doesn't have a great selection. I went to a place called Crafts Direct. I don't know if you have one where you live.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123