Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The LA County Fair is here in Southern California and has brought with it tons of booths with products ranging from odd to useful to just plain cute along with TONS of different food and craft contests.

More specifically, it brought along the George Geary cheesecake contest my dad and I entered for the first time ever today. There were 30 cheesecakes in all, and I have to say we felt very intimidated by all the insanely awesome looking cakes there were.

Some of the cheesecakes weren't decorated too much, but others just screamed "Look at how beautiful I am!" and we were sure we wouldn't even place.

But after the judging, as the results were announced, we were shocked to hear we'd won second place!

We won a beautiful set of professional cheesecake pans, a signed copy of George Geary's cheesecake book and a beautiful red rosette. First place went to a savory cheesecake and we were told that in past years savory and sweet cheesecakes were in separate categories and we would have placed first.

I'm still thrilled and in a little bit of shock, but we'll definitely be entering again next year as well a few other food contests. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How exciting! Congratulations to the both of you! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Polly Marie

Big Congratulations to Dad and you!
    [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]
    Need to enter more of those food contests!
    Bet y'all would win some. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congratulations! That sounds exciting! [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img] I love cheesecakes! What kind of cheesecake did you make? Enjoy your prize and get busy on next year's entry! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It was a pumpkin cheesecake with a nilla wafer crust and a sour cream/caramel topping. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My son's favorite cheesecake is a Maple Pumpkin one! Your version sounds yummy!

thepidget

That's really cool!! Congrats!!! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

I've been meaning to enter some stained glass objects that I've made at the LA County fair for a long time. I could've done so five years ago, but I chickened out. [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]frown.gif[/img] But hearing about your recent win makes me think that I should at least give it a try.

Is it hard to enter something at the fair? What's the process? Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congratulations! Your cheesecake sounds absolutely delicious.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! DH loves watching all the food competitions on the food channel - not to mention Cheese Cake. What a fun thing to do with your dad. I could see DH and DD doing something like that when she's older. Congratulations [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] .

emsmombuysdolls

That's awesome! People say I make a pretty mean cheesecake. We should trade recipes some time [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast