Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which AGOT do you think would make for a good Renaissance doll? I was thinking either the doll with black hair or a doll that has curly light red hair like the hair on 26. So many of the dolls have bang that I don't know if they would look right.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

#26 is really pretty... #1 doesn't have bangs, if that's what you're looking for

GreyMyst

Check out my sig. AGT 15 is wearing an outfit from that era and I must say she looks stunning in it. She also has no bangs.

If I have to choose I'd say #26 though, she's very very pretty.

Originally posted by Kit 1934:
    Definitely #21. JMO, though.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">#21 is caucasian with blonde hair. Why on earth would a Harlem renaissance doll be white?

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 22, 2006 06:21 PM: Message edited by: SaraLovesHerDollys ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah, i didnt get that either. are you looking for a renaissance doll or a harlem renaissance doll? they couldnt be more different times.

i dont get the red hair either???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess I don't know that much about the times...sorry. I have gone to the Renaissance Fair here in Wisconsin and no one I have ever seen has been black. I am thinking more Renaissance I guess. I thought "Harlem" was just the full name of the time but I guess not. Could you enlighten me. [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

By the way your #15 looks just like Catherine Zeta Joans in that outfit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Harlem Renaissance was during the 20's-30's in Harelem NY. It was a time and place (correct me if I am wrong) when African Americans were able to express themselves. Music such as Jazz and clothing such as zoot suits were made popular during this time.

Not the same as the Medival Renaissance as in the Knights of the Round Table

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The Harlem Renaissance was a period in New York (Harlem!) in the 1920s in which there was a great output of all aspects of the arts from the African American community. There's a good History Mystery called "Mystery of the Dark Tower" that would give you a little bit of an idea about the period.

http://www.fatherryan.org/harlemrenaissance/ says: "In the early 1900s, particularly in the 1920s, African-American literature, art, music, dance, and social commentary began to flourish in Harlem, a section of New York City. This African-American cultural movement became known as "The New Negro Movement" and later as the Harlem Renaissance. More than a literary movement, the Harlem Renaissance exalted the unique culture of African-Americans and redefined African-American expression. African-Americans were encouraged to celebrate their heritage."

Swing Dancing (Lindy Hopping), the poetry of Langston Hughes, great jazz music and entertainers like Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington were just a few developments of or contributors to the arts during this time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

So, talking about the Renaissance... I think number 25 is really pretty. If a doll's highlighted hair is too obvious, it might not fit with the period. 24 also has gorgeous hair with those curls, although freckles might not have been terribly fashionable. Her hair is a little curly, so that might add a little length that would allow you to do some great hairstyles! You're totally right about not wanting the doll to have bangs, but beyond that just go with your preference of haircolor, keeping in mind that highlighted hair and prominent freckles probably wouldn't be quite as accurate either.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know, in most places and periods in the Renaissance, women had to wear some sort of headwear. (The most prominent exceptions were probably Ireland (?) and Italy for sure.) So, if you do happen across or buy a doll with bangs, you can try to hide them under her hat, like modern re-enactors do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Inactive Member supernonamegirl's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually think Felicity makes a great Irish renaisance doll.
    Josefina would also work if you wanted to focus on Spain.
    Other wise, any doll without bangs works. Bangs are not even remotely historically accurate and actually look quite sill with the rennaisance stuff that I have.
    Editted to add more information on the topics, because I think it's very important to know.

A renaissance is defined as a "revival" or rebirth of knowledge in all it's forms, but usally specfically aimed towards cultural changes and advances.
    The Renaissance you're thinking of followed the Dark Ages, a time in which civilization was weak (Rome had fallen, and no major power had replaced it, in the west at least.), and there were believed to be no advancements in technology and much previous knowledge was "lost."

More recently, there is the agrument that the idea of the Dark ages comes from the Western mindset as the Eastern cultures, especailly the Arabic cultures, flourished. THey also perserved some of the great western Civilizations writings and culture which were, in a sense "rediscovered."
    And, sure enough, they began to end when contact between the cultures began to grow due to the Crusades. Many things that were This led to advancements in fighting technique, scientific discovery, art, music, philosophy, etc. etc. etc.

I also request a topic title change. I posted a little more info about the Harlem Renaissance in the new 1920's Harlem Renaissance girl thread.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 23, 2006 01:09 AM: Message edited by: supernonamegirl ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast