Thread: OT - We're going on a Girl Scout Campout! Any fun outdoor cooking recipes???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

We're taking our Junior troop on their first campout November 3rd. We have most of the meals planned, but I thought I'd see if any of you ladies have some kid-friendly special cookout meals (or desserts!) that you have tried and would like to share! TIA!

~Dee

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 18, 2006 01:35 AM: Message edited by: DaisyDee ]</font>

Polly Marie

If you're tired of the typical weiner roasts then these recipes are for boiled frankfurters:
    Snake Hot Dogs:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...e%20hot%20dogs

Octopus Dogs:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...octopus%20dogs

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

S'Mores of course!!! We had dessert at our council sponsered camp that was vanilla pudding with cherry pie filling and crushed graham crackers in a baggie served with a spoon. The girls really liked it. We also wrapped carrots, potatoes and hamburger (like a mini meat loaf) into foil and put into the coals to cook (this took a long time).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

S'mores- but with a twist! Use fudge stripe cookies, then just put the marshmallow in between 2 of them (then you don't have to deal with unwrapping the chocolate). Or make them with the chocolate and marshmallow, but use peanut butter cookies or mint cookies! YUUUMMMMM! Okay, I'm hungry now. Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Our troop made this recipe on a cookout last year and everyone loved them. We wanted to try something different. The girls were able to easily follow this recipe and make it themselves. Even our picky eaters loved this. You wrap it in foil and can cook it over the campfire on a grate or on a grill. If you want to make it easier, use canned sliced new potatoes.

Campfire Potatoes:
    INGREDIENTS
    5 potatoes, thinly sliced
    1 onion, sliced
    6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
    1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/3 cup chicken broth
    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
    On a piece of heavy foil approximately 20x20 inches, place the potatoes and onion. Dot with butter.
    In a medium bowl, mix Cheddar cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over the potatoes.
    Fold edges of foil. Cover potatoes with chicken broth.
    Seal foil tightly and place on the prepared grill. Cook 35 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Our favorite camping treat is pudding pops. It's an AG magazine recipe that's been around pretty much since I started getting the magazine. It isn't very camping-ish, but then again, we don't go camping unless we have a bathroom and running water and a kitchen. [img]wink.gif[/img] So when you're tired and need something to perk you up at 1:00 AM, here's what to do. It only works if you have a freezer at camp.

First, make 2 packets of pudding. I think this is plenty, but it all depends. It made about 20 pops, I think. This is fun - the girls can shake the containers. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Lightly shake sprinkles into the bottom of dixie cups.

Instead of pouring the pudding into bowls, pour into dixie cups over the sprinkles. Stick popsicle sticks into the dixie cups for a handle. Place in freezer.

When frozen, peel/pop off the dixie cup and you have a homemade fudgesicle or vanilla popsicle! They are delicious!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't help with a recipe because this is one I'd like myself--I remember going to girl scout camp during the summer when I was a kid back in the dark ages... & we made this meal.

It was called sloppy joes & as well as hamburger in it there were also beans & it was on a burger bun. I'd like to be able to make it again but my senior brain can't remember the recipe or much else about it or camping. I do, however, remember "situpons" like Molly. Needing the restroom meant you needed to go see "Mrs Murphy".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We also wrapped carrots, potatoes and hamburger (like a mini meat loaf) into foil and put into the coals to cook (this took a long time).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We called that "Hobo Stew" when I went to 4-H camp. We actually have that one planned already for the campout! We're also making "Girl Scout Soup" which will be an interesting experiment. Each girl brings a can of her favorite condensed soup and we mix them all together in one big pot. According to the GS trainers at camping training weekend we went to, it will turn out great. But, we're going to have PB&J standing by just in case! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

S'mores- but with a twist! Use fudge stripe cookies, then just put the marshmallow in between 2 of them (then you don't have to deal with unwrapping the chocolate). Or make them with the chocolate and marshmallow, but use peanut butter cookies or mint cookies! YUUUMMMMM! Okay, I'm hungry now. Thanks.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can also use "All Abouts" GS cookies since they are fudgy on the bottoms. I had a box of them saved, but somehow my dog got into it. [img]mad.gif[/img] So, we're going to make the old-fashioned kind. We're also going to make Banana Boats one night, and one of my girls will be turning the big 1-0 while we are there, so we are going to make her a cake in the cast iron dutch oven, and have the girls try and make ice cream using the coffee can method and the ziplock bag method. It will be another experiment to see which way works better.

I'd like to be able to make it again but my senior brain can't remember the recipe or much else about it or camping. I do, however, remember "situpons" like Molly. Needing the restroom meant you needed to go see "Mrs Murphy".
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We're in the process of making sit-upons! It's a GS tradition that we hadn't done yet, so we're doing them for the campout. At Girl Scout camp the outhouse is called a "Biffy." It stands for
    "Bathroom In Forest For You." I don't think that's what it was originally short for though, because my grandfather always used to say that he needed to use the biffy.