Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading level for AG Historical Books?

Inactive Member mominindianapolis's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It says age 8 and up on the book, but I don't see any reading level listed. Does anyone know what level these are considered?
    My 5 yo dd is working her way thru her first one by herself and I am curious to have a good idea of her accomplishment. Not to mention that I think a special treat might be in order when she is finished! [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ January 26, 2006 05:19 PM: Message edited by: mominindianapolis ]</font>

joelanddeborah

I just looked on the "Accelerated Reader" Program from my children's school, and the AG Historical Books seem to range from about 3.9 through about 4.9 (So, about a fourth grade reading level) Good for your five-year-old! Now you're going to be living at the library in the AG section!!
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am not sure if your school does the AR program (accelerated reader) or not. If you are familiar with it, the books range from about 3.4 -4.1 or so. I believe the numbers represent grade levels, but I am not positive on that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My older daughter read her first AG book when she was 5 as well. When I told a 4th grade teacher at church that she was reading it, the teacher "corrected" me and said that I meant I was reading it to her. I said, no, she's reading it. She seemed quite impressed! At my kids' school, most girls get into the books in second grade, a few earlier, and a few later. I think a 5 year old reading it is pretty impressive though (I know I was impressed with my kid [img]smile.gif[/img] ) We had the rule in our house that she had to read all the historical books before she could decide who her favorite was and get her first doll.

I love that both of my girls are such avid readers. It's wonderful that your daughter is reading so well.

Jo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's really great. Yes, a reward will be in order, but as those of us know who have readers, reading IS its own reward!!

I tend to think that the books are on the easy reader chapter books level, just because they are shorter than other chapter books, but I realized that's not so at all. They are great books with great thought-provoking stories and wonderful characters.

So, who is she reading??

GreyMyst

It's an accomplishment no matter what, but you know your child and how good of a reader she is far better than we do. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd say it deserves a nice size reward!

I'd say 8 is being generous on the low side for most kids I've known. My step-sister is 10 and still can't read the books well. My cousin is 12 and still struggles with them as well. They get thrown every time they encounter big words or words like "Aye"

Reading any chapter books at 5 is an accomplishment and reading THESE chapter books is near miracle. I read all 9 (that were out at the time) over summer vacation when I was 6 but I was a very good reader.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well - I have been collecting all the sets for her when I could find them on ebay or at Sam's Club for a good price. I actually have almost all of the short stories put away for her birthday. I wanted to have her choose her first doll when she could read the books, but I couldn't wait. So we got Molly when she got her first pair of glasses, at not quite 4. (She has a much older brother so she tends to want to do more grown-up things than she might if siblings were closer to her age.) I have read her some of the books and she has the audiobooks.

She chose to read "Meet Samantha". I have not read this book aloud to her, so I know that she won't be merely remembering it. I showed her on the website how she will receive star points for reading the book. She just read some portions of the 1st chapter aloud to me. I am fascinated with how she chose to read Jessie's part in sort of a Scottish brogue. I knew she read well and with expression for her age, but I was very surprised and pleased with how well she did with a more difficult book. She was thrilled to read that Samantha liked learning about New Orleans (a place dd is also fascinated with) so I know that her comprehension is good also.

We homeschool - so I'm always glad to find out that she is doing well for her age. Her aunt is a schoolteacher and is coming for the weekend tomorrow. I had asked her to do some evaluating for us. I will be anxious to hear what she has to say.

Thanks all of you for such encouraging and helpful responses. I truly appreciate it. I have been collecting these books and things since before dd was born and it is just such a joy to share my enjoyment with her. We are going to AGPC next month for her 6th bday and to see the play she has been wanting to be old enough to see for so long. I am pretty sure a new dolly will be coming home with us. I am excited to see if she will choose Kaya (the last historical doll we need) or a GOT doll. We have also talked about choosing more clothes for some of the dolls we already have . . .

Oh - and PS - We agreed that a reward is in order for the very first big chapter book, but that after that it is exciting just to be able to read books all by yourself! [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ January 26, 2006 06:02 PM: Message edited by: mominindianapolis ]</font></font>

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ January 26, 2006 06:05 PM: Message edited by: mominindianapolis ]</font>

joelanddeborah

You know a fun thing we have done is use the Historical Girls to talk about attributes and values like courage, kindness, loyalty, etc. I know if my daughter is having trouble sharing or being kind, it's time for us to pull out the Samantha books. If she needs to have courage to do something that's right (especially if it's hard) we can read Felicity again. They really are wholesome and well-written compared to some of the other things out there for elementary girls. She is almost seven, now, and instead of reading through a whole series or one girl's books at a time, she tells me she chooses one "depending on her mood that day." So, I think she's gotten the point that each historical girl has different strengths and weaknesses.

Since you homeschool, you should save up to buy the different Teacher's Guides on ebay. There is one for each historical girl and each one has great ideas to teach about history and talk about the girls' different characters. I LOVE them!

Deborah

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't you wish AG still made those teacher guides and educational resources? They were excellent resources. I've been collecting. I also have the unit study called "Portraits of American Girlhood". It is not done by Pleasant Company or AG, but covers the books.

joelanddeborah

OOOhhh! I really want that! I should start trying to find it in out-of-print online stores!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast