Thread: What's better - Sam's Gingerbread or her Music Box?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm placing my Christmas order today in order to use the free shipping e-mail, and I can rarely resist a sale. What do you think of Sam's Music Box which is on sale from $16 to $14?

Also, how about Sam's Gingerbread house kit which is $15 and the regular price. Are either of these items worth it as a fun, extra St. Nick's Present?

edited for grammar [img]eek.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 21, 2006 04:34 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Judi,

I have Samantha's Music Box and I love it. It is an adorable Christmas accessory that you can display from year to year. With the sale price you just can't go wrong!

Glenda [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Even though the gingerbread house is fun, I would go for the music box. The reason is that the music box is something that you can keep forever! The gingerbread house might get kinda yucky if you keep it too long. [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

Really, though, the music box is an adorable piece. It winds up to play a happy version of O Christmas Tree. And all of the songs included have three or four stanzas of lyrics - so you can impress family and friends when you start singing all the words that hardly anybody knows anymore. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your input. Sam's Music Box does sound cute!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had the gingerbread house - the 1st one arrived broken and the frosting didn't turn out right on the second. You can't go wrong on the music box! It's lovely.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm...
    The gingerbread house looks so cute on the AG website, but I can see that there could be problems with it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a tough choice! I'm inclined to say both because they're both so unique. The Gingerbread House is really fun to make. My daughter got her first one when she was 10. That was back when they were still edible. Now the gingerbread kit sits on a shelf in a warehouse so it's not promoted as edible. It is very fun to make though and my daughter still remembers the fun she had making hers all these years later.

The music box is really sweet. I got my daughter the music box when the case was solid wood. She still has it and it's a wonderful keepsake for Samantha.

Of course, we no longer have the gingerbread house because it got eaten. But I do have a gingerbread ornament my mom made and it's at least 10 years old. She dipped it in paraffin wax and that preserved it. Some day I may try the same paraffin dip to preserve Samantha's Gingerbread House. Even then, I don't expect it to last longer than 5 or 6 years because the icing will probably break down first, even dipped in paraffin wax.

If you want your daughter to remember a delightful activity you and she can do together, go with the Gingerbread House. If you want something she can play with all year long, get the Music Box.

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't they sell small gingerbread kits in grocery stores around the holidays? I know they wouldn't be AG, but they'd be cheaper, and most likely edible. [img]wink.gif[/img]

(I hate music boxes, myself, so I can't really recommend that either. [img]tongue.gif[/img] But it's on sale which means it may retire in the not-so-distant future, so if you like it, I'd go for it!)