Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am asking about this because many of our members have said that very long signatures significantly decrease their enjoyment of this board because of slow downloading, missing the posts in the clutter of all the signatures and a lot of scrolling. Remember, not everyone has a fast connection and/or a big screen monitor.

I certainly don't want to make it too complicated, but I also hope that everyone understands that without rules, this board wouldn't function. There are also newbies who want to know what an appropriate signature length is.

So, thanks for weighing in everyone. I appreciate it! There will be a signature length guideline versus a hard and fast rule at this time.

Also, because members here are also part of other HB forums that do not deal with AG, requiring signatures only about AG would be unfair. Of course, AG signatures are preferred. However, if the signature breaks a rule on our board such as links to inappropriate websites, etc., it will not be allowed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

since a lot of people have said they are intimidated by the new rules, I just want to suggest that any specific problems be dealt with over PM. Then no one has to be worried that other members will get mad at them. If there's a problem, we should just PM mods, and they can make the decision if a siggie is appropriate, and they can deal with it tactfully [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by mayergirl:
    since a lot of people have said they are intimidated by the new rules, I just want to suggest that any specific problems be dealt with over PM. Then no one has to be worried that other members will get mad at them. If there's a problem, we should just PM mods, and they can make the decision if a siggie is appropriate, and they can deal with it tactfully [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please - don't get so worried about your signature not complying. We are just trying this out to see if it makes our board better. This isn't really a brand new issue. It just resurfaced again when a newbie had 5 tickers because she didn't have any idea that would be a problem for anyone. We will tweak this guideline as necessary. I would do this by PM, but many people have full PM boxes and that would take a lot of time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

oh, you misunderstood. I just meant if a situation like this crops up in the future with someone who doesn't know. I just didn't want anyone to worry that they were going to get singled out if they mis-uploaded a picture or something. I didn't mean right now for the transition to a new guideline.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes - I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing it up.
    I just put the new signature sticky up. It will be a temporary sticky. I am PMing people with signatures that fit within the maximum guideline to put a post up in the sticky so we can all see an example. If your signature is smaller than the guideline, I won't be PMing you since I am just looking for signatures that are significant without being too long.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, I really like seeing everyone's pictures. Like the stickies at the top of our board, signatures tend to get ignored when they get a little old. You can use the "tag" feature on Photobucket.com to just put a picture in a post when it is relevant. That way, we get to see pictures, but they are not the same pictures over and over.

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't read every post here, word for word, but I do want to respond to one comment by someone, about our not censoring avatars. Just so you-all know, it hasn't happened very often, because most people who post here are sensitive to and supportive of our goals. But once in awhile we have someone who has an avatar that represents things like the occult, or death, or something gruesome, or something otherwise somehow inappropriate for our members and it doesn't fit with the general positive, cheerful, life-giving spirit that we want to try to have as a standard here. So in those cases, we have quietly asked that person to please change her avatar, and generally we have had people be cooperative about that.

Some other times, when the avatar is in a grey area--somewhat insensitive to who we are and what we prefer to see here--we have let it go, but it's always nice when that person changes the avatar as they grow to understand what kind of atmosphere we all enjoy here.
    Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

Mine is ok right?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm with Aunt Cornelia. I feel intimidated just reading this thread. I fine with people using good judgement. If I don't want to read the signature or tickers I just skip over them. No problem. Please don't make too many "rules".