Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Last week I e-mailed the other mods because we hadn't talked to each other in awhile because the board was so PEACEFUL. You may have noticed that has ended recently.
    I am thinking about deleting the thread about the using the Ignore function and the thread about Tickers. Many people are getting paranoid. Please remember, the main function of this board is to talk about American Girl Dolls and enjoy an atmosphere of friendship and support. If you are having a problem with someone on this board, PM them or a mod. Keep the negative comments directed at any single member off the public thread. No one likes being embarrassed. [img]redface.gif[/img]

As far as signatures go - keep the tickers limited to 2. Rotate your signature pictures and tickers to maintain interest. I love everyone's unique signature, but some of them have gotten too long. Don't put long lists like wishlists in your signatures. Put your wishlist in the sticky at the top of the board.

Let's try to be patient with our diversity. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ February 24, 2006 10:53 AM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font></font>

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 24, 2006 03:44 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well said, Judi! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When we originally discussed the signatures, we thought we wouldn't create another "rule" about the signatures since we have so many other rules to keep track of already. That is why we asked people to just be reasonable. However, maybe we need a rule to keep peace?

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 22, 2006 06:06 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By the way, if you start a thread, you can always delete your own post which will delete the thread. If you posted in a thread recently where you may have singled out someone for criticism, could you please edit it?

This is truly not directed at one person. Truly! Truly! Truly! You are not being singled out.

I have found that people would prefer often times to edit their own posts rather than be edited. Since nothing is too outrageous, maybe you can edit yourself if you feel it would improve things.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most boards I belong to, and even mod have a sig requirement-that way there is no "gray area" or "fuzziness". Unfortunately, not everyone is always respectful of others, and sometimes it is just simplier to have rules to keep the peace. However, on some boards I am-they are completely overmodderated, where the rules eventually get to be too nit-picky and drive others away. (such as what is considered spam-and will delete one word answers because they feel it is spam.)

Others are just right and they still need rules, just to more so keep the peace. This way no one gets frustrated, or doesn't know where to draw the line. I am not on a dial up now, but at my parents house, and I have a HUGE problem with the sigs. So much, that I actually tried to find a way to block all the images, so the computer would run smoothly. When I am back home, I don't have that problem.

At the board I help mod, I know the sig is 500 across and 200 high. Which is an easy to fix your sig into those spaces.

To check the size of an image is quite easy-you right click on the image and go to properties. It will tell you the height and width.
    Just a thought.

-Jordyn

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 22, 2006 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Starearedkid ]</font>

MissCurlyCat

Just kick me off.

I understand this WON'T at all be the first time I've been kicked out of a place. I'm the one who has done this, and I'm sorry. I know words are fleeting, but I mean it when I say, I was/ am out of line. Please, forgive me. I'm so used to being the odd one out that I'm wondering if this should even matter at all to me. Thank you for all of your patience everyone at HB.

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 22, 2006 06:36 PM: Message edited by: MissCurlyCat ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's Ok, Misscurlycat!!! Don't leave and I don't think anyone wants to kick you off this board, that would be silly!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Miss Curly Cat, you are not being singled out on this thread and neither is anyone else. We have had this discussion about signatures before you were ever a member. It was just brought back up to the surface again. Sometimes the board gets out of wack and needs to be aligned again. This is not the first time it has happened.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe a rule on signatures isn't a bad idea....

To some people, having a lot of tickers is just annoying and ridiculous (I'm in that category), but others have a very valid reason for not liking them, such as dial-up issues and even joint discomfort from having to scroll down so much.

In the past, everyone has been more than willing to comply with the siggy cut-down requests, as well as other requests, such as not using all caps and not using netspeak. But if people are going to outright refuse several polite requests, a rule is probably the only option. You can't force someone to be courteous, but you can enforce a rule.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK - I will re-visit the idea of having a pixel size rule about signatures with the other mods and see how they feel. I will keep this thread up a little while longer so anyone who wants to can weigh in about what is a reasonable signature. I think the guideline before was 2 tickers and/or pictures, but we never said anything about the lists - at least that I can remember.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast