Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked the peace! I'm happy thats its coming back (which it is!), and I'm glad MissCurlyCat is a member of HB.

Jessica

TitanicLover15

Whats a "ticker"?

rolloverrover

I for one would miss the uniqueness of individual signatures if too much paring down is required. I will admit that I have a very fast computer so loading time is a non-issue for me.

As far as the tickers go, I've never had a problem with them because for some reason my eyes just bounce over them. My eyes really focus on pictures.

It's too bad that the tickers can't be posted alongside each other (two side-by-side) rather than only going down the page.

I also don't think that everyone's computer knowledge is at the same level. Asking someone to decrease their pixel size can be pretty intimidating to hear (especially if you're new and excited over the fact that you can even post a picture).

It seems more the norm nowadays on the board to have shorter signatures since the discussion of a month ago. What if we deal with this issue on an individual basis only. If someone is truly having problems with someone's signature they can contact a mod and the mod can then inform the poster that their signature is causing problems and could they "modify" it somehow.

I've been a member of this board for about a year and half now. When I started no one had pictures, tickers, etc. I think it's a lot more fun to scroll the threads nowadays with all the pictures and individuality shown through signatures.

Perhaps there could be a rule that signatures need to be AG related. I hate to rain on anyone's personal family joy, but do we need to know that cousin Ralph will be 76 in three months and 10 days. And instead of doing individual doll birthday tickers, list them in a jazzed up marquee.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by TitanicLover16:
    Whats a "ticker"?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is the picture that looks sort of like a ruler in some people's signatures. It usually counts down the day until a special event.

The tickers and pictures are cute, but signatures with like 5 tickers and long, long lists have been annoying to some because of all the scrolling and long downloading times.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked the peace! I'm happy thats its coming back
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know -- I have totally loved this board (minus the past couple of days). I used to chat on a couple of other boards (not AG), and they all started out fun and then turned awful because of flaming, trolling, Nazi-style moderation, etc.

This board is awesome, though -- nice, fun, polite, interesting AND informative!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm on board for a rule about sig size! Every other board I visit has limits on sigs and it really helps to make the board look better.

Download time is not a problem for me as I have a supremely fast cable connection. But as Melissa*Olivia said, it can cause joint problems and hand pain if you do it too much. I'm in that category of ending up with very painful wrist and finger joints if I scroll too much. (even with my touchpad mouse now I still have those problems)

It's just being courteous to everyone else to keep things at a reasonable size and not too flashy. People can get migraines from bright colors or flasing images. My mom is one of them, and it contributes to headaches for me too, although not migraines thankfully.

Nobody is trying to be a Nazi or over-mod the board. It's just an attempt to keep things easy on the eyes. Overcrowded sigs and too many images can be a BIG turn-off to potential newbies. If I had found out about the board in the last couple of months, I highly doubt I'd be posting because of all the too-long sigs. It's distracting and I prefer my boards with sig limits.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Well, I LOVE this board. I hope NO ONE leaves because everyone is important to the success and fun!!!!
    I have to confess.....I don't have a
    fancy signature with pictures or whatever because I don't know how to do it yet. I just today finally fixed a custom avatar!!!

HOWEVER, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures in the signatures! In fact, some of them have inspired me to be on the lookout for some things that I probably wouldn't have before. It's fun to see
    how AG fits into everyone's life. Just to see the individuality.

Great Board! Everyone please stay.I'm sure the problems will get worked out.

I do agree that if someone strongly disagrees with something that someone is doing on the board that they should probably speak to them about it privately.

Sometimes people just don't know that something is annoying to someone else. I always think it's best to try to protect someones feelings if at all possible.

[img]smile.gif[/img] Smiles [img]smile.gif[/img] to everyone!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think having a rule is a good idea--I don't think there are too many rules on the board right now. The reason rules are created is to address issues that repeatedly come up or are a valid concern. In most instances they prevent problems, not create them. With rules posted publically, people are forewarned about an issue rather than having it come as a surprise.

Like others have mentioned, I think everyone has tried really hard to self-police their own signatures, but new members will always be caught unawares if there aren't any guidelines posted for them to follow.

For example, if a rule had already existed about signatures, MissCurlyCat would have known the ticker limit, and wouldn't have had to ask on the board.

My opinion is that it would be great if the mods came up with a pixel size limit, bytes limit (since this is what is easiest to check on photos and what causes slow loading), ticker/photo number limit, and perhaps a line/space limit (since this is what causes excess scrolling). That way it would be easy to understand what was expected of us with our signatures.

I also wanted to second the motion: Don't leave, MissCurlyCat! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 22, 2006 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Dancin'4'AG

I also think there should be a rule about sigs. IMO if you have to scroll, no matter how little, to view the whole sig, then the sig is too long. i also think one or at the most two tickers should be the limit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I want to start off by saying, I like this board a lot. It is the only board I post on, ever. I also want to add that I love seeing peoples pictures in their signitures, but I agree that there should be some limits, and stated rules. I do feel like the occasional flare ups we have here are normally when things simmer a bit and then blow up. I like the idea of having rules that aren't overly restrictive, but kind of set up our expectations for courtesy on the board. For example, instead of saying a certain number of pixels, we can even put, in the rules a sample signature and say, no bigger than this please. That way, if someone wants to put up several very small things, they can or just one larger thing. Other rules I'd like to see instituted are ones that require us to deal with issues via PM with mods and the individual/s involved. I feel that that way, if people are having problems, they can take care of them immediately, so that they don't simmer and explode. There are so many of us and we are all so different (that's what makes the board so great), but we're bound to disagree from time to time, and I think that we just need to remember that problems aren't fixed by ignoring them until we can't anymore, and that honesty is the best policy for all of us to stay friends [img]smile.gif[/img]