Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since a lot of us here do mail order, I wanted to mention that there's a confusing type of shipping method you might encounter.

Some non-USPS shippers work in conjunction with your local USPS. Instead of delivering the item directly to you, they will deliver it to the closest USPS location; it might not even be in your state. The tracking will then say "delivered."

More than once I've tried to track shipments and am surprised when it says "delivered" and it hasn't really been delivered. This is because they delivered it to the "local" USPS, sometimes a couple states away.

It's really confusing, and I think it's silly that companies even give us tracking numbers when things aren't being delivered directly; especially since few companies explain that is how the shipping works. Supposedly I had a package delivered two states away two days ago! [img]wink.gif[/img]

It seems to be online bookstores that are doing this indirect shipping method.

I just wanted to mention it since I know it has thrown me for a loop more than once and might also confuse other people who use mail-order.
    ----
    Edited to add an article about the service, specifically about Airborne Express and USPS doing this.

http://www.directmag.com/news/market...ate/index.html

(Edited to remove "OT" notice)

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 23, 2006 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

mypinkmermaid

Exclamation

Scary, and I'd stay away from it! Paypal's buyer protection is no good to you if a seller uses delivery confirmation and the package says delivered, but you didn't ever get it. I have had this happen once to me. Tracking number said delivered, but I never got the package, and Paypal dispute resolution let the seller keep my money because the online tracking said the package was delivered, and I ended up with nothing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

UPS does this also. I get quite a few of my AG packages delivered this way. It goes UPS till it gets to my local sort facility and then they take it to the PO and then the PO actually delivers it.

I also got a package from Target the other day this same way - UPS then they take it to the PO.

It's some kind of agreement with the company you're buying from and the shipper. However I don't think there is any way to know when you are purchasing an item that it will end up at the PO for the final delivery.

I never know which of my AG orders will come this route until I see the tracking info. If it says UPS Rural or Basic - then I know it will be going to the PO.

<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ February 23, 2006 05:07 PM: Message edited by: beccachris ]</font></font>

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 23, 2006 05:08 PM: Message edited by: beccachris ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rebecca, that's true about UPS also being one of the carriers (which is funny, because the 1999 article I posted a link to says UPS didn't like the idea--hee hee!). My most recent book order that I'm waiting for is UPS. I'm not sure how many carriers are involved, but I know UPS and Airborne Express are two.

USPS (postal service) is doing this to help companies be able to ship more economically, and also to help themselves get more business. I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, except for the fact that they provide tracking numbers. The tracking is of little to no value to consumers and can only serve to confuse.

I will edit the subject line to remove the "OT" (off topic) notice, since Rebecca mentioned AG is doing this now, too. I think it's really important for people to know.

Nana, I wouldn't worry too much about small-time eBay sellers yet. I think right now it's big-time companies that have deals like this, not individuals. (I could be wrong, though.)

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 23, 2006 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, this has happened with several of my AG packages lately. I always track my orders and the tracking shows the UPS tracking information. Several times it has said en route to final destination and I thought for sure UPS would deliver it that day. Then, the package ends up coming by USPS the next day. It was really strange the first couple of times that it happened, but now I've gotten used to it. Usually the larger AG packages come UPS all the way and the smaller ones end up coming by USPS.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Airborne is the pits. I've had huge boxed that I wanted to come to my house and they drop them off at the PO and Ihave to land up picking them up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Melissa! I remember hearing about this from some board members last year. As I recall, it did take everyone quite some time to figure out what was going on, and it was very frustrating for those affected.
    I have been lucky enough not to get any of my AG packages this way yet, but I nearly didn't get an order in time from the Disney catalog due to this (a princess costume for my daughter to wear to a party - I think it took about 10 days to arrive, and it came the day before the party).
    When I called the shipper to get more info., they were completely clueless as to why the package had disappeared from the system, but the Disney CS person I spoke with knew what was going on and was able to retrieve the second shipping number and give me an approximate date of arrival.
    Nana: that's terrible about your non-delivered package - does insurance help in such a case?
    Shawn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gymboree does this, they say they fedex, but fedex gives it to the local po where it sits for a couple days and then get's delievered by usps with my mail.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This happened with one of my packages once while I was away on vacation! It said "delivered" online so I had a friend go to my house to pick it up because it was winter and I didn't want it to get damaged from sitting outside. She and her husband looked all around the yard and outside of our house but couldn't find it. I was seriously panicking that it had been stolen or something! Finally when I called UPS we got to the bottom of it and I found out it was at the PO and would be delivered with my held mail when I got back. Whew!