Thread: OT: oh I can feel the summer stress start...

mori

Poor you! I hope you find something that doesn't kill you to have to do! And good luck with your license. You'll have to keep us updated.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good luck. I know how you feel about the job search. My husband is returning to school for his PhD and I have to find a job that can pay for our food/shelter/clothing. I'm going crazy because as an editor/teacher I don't make a lot of money in a good job and who knows what I will find when I leave my current job.

Good luck with your license and job search.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was very much like you - I didn't like driving and was very shy. I did get a job as a cashier (at Montgomery Ward) and although I was nervous at first it was a good job and helped me to come out of my shell a little. As far as driving it just takes practice. Once I got my liscence I used to practice by just driving around my neighborhood by myself. It was easier for me when someone else wasn't in the car. Gas prices are so high this might be hard but it helped to practice without alot of traffic and such. Good luck with both.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hear you, although I have had my driver's license for nealry 8 years. I have managed to find a summer job, actually I have to call and accept it this morning. I did a phone interview last night for a position as a Unit Leader at a Girl Scout Resident Camp. I am really want to do it be there is just something about it that keeps me up at night. I think I have an over active imagination.

Ashley

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Ds9jullian:
    . I did a phone interview last night for a position as a Unit Leader at a Girl Scout Resident Camp. I am really want to do it be there is just something about it that keeps me up at night. I think I have an over active imagination.

Ashley
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You should totally go for it! I was a program leader at a GS resident camp (and had a live in position with the girls) and it was the best summer job ever. The pay wasn't that high, and the hours were long, but it was WONDERFUL. I always wish I could do it again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good luck with the license and the job search! About the license, when my kids were prepping for it, we drove the streets around the dmv where we knew the test would take place. We made sure to note stop signs, railroad tracks, any particularly difficult intersections, etc. We also practiced backing up into spots in the dmv parking lot (that's required on CT tests). By the time test day arrived, my kids knew the area's streets and the lot so well that much of the stress was taken off. After they got licensed, I encouraged them to drive at night when the streets around us are pretty much empty. That also helped them gain confidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI,

Good luck with all your upcoming summer activities.

I didn't get my license until I was 18, so I can relate. As far as jobs go, do you have a local library where you could apply for a job? My dd8 thinks that would be the coolest job. [img]smile.gif[/img] I started working at a grocery store & then went on to a Kmart store when I was 18. Working w/ the public can be nerve wracking when you are shy, but it does help you overcome it a bit as well.

Take a deep breath & tackle each challenge one at a time. Remember you can always come here to vent when things get stressful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bren [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

P.S. Remember to love on & play with your girl's. What a great stress reliever! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Felicity_Fan85

This week is packing and finals. My parents are coming down Friday and we're leaving Saturday. I forget if we're actually leaving for home on Saturday or staying at the motel and leaving Sunday. Anyway, I have to try to get my license this summer- tried last summer and don't like driving but I have to try again this summer. And I have to try to find a summer job. I'm pretty shy and don't really want to work as a cashier but it may have to come to that. I don't like math and there aren't many places in my town that I could work. I don't think I would mind Halmark because it's small but even though the grocery store isn't huge, it's still bigger than halmark and what if I don't get hired there. And I also really have to majorly clean my room (my dollies need more space for displaying and stuff) and I would to try to make a movie with my dolls, plus sew some doll clothes (maybe I could try selling some). But I think I'm slightly getting stressed out byt the license and job thing the most. Sorry for the long post, but I just needed to say something [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 09, 2006 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Felicity_Fan85 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, I hear you. I've been struggling to find a job too. I really need to make some money to pay for fall semester. The problem is, I need to help with my family's farmhouse (that's been seen here on the board) about every other Saturday, and it's been really hard for me to find something that will give me every other weekend off. A couple of weeks ago, I thought I was getting a good opporunity at a credit union, but that didn't work either.

It's defintely frustrating. Good luck with your license and let us know if you get a good job!