Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Are there any dolls you DON'T like?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't like Marisol Her face is just yuck to me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Platinum Blond Today doll as that is my moms original hair color

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Katie, I agree with you so much. As an adult I'm just now coming to realize the losses experienced of my family members who passed on before I had the ability to understand--even though with one of them it wasn't an unexpected and my parents tried to prepare me for it. This is why I think it's realistic that Molly would have done things like playing bomb shelter or being excited about meeting someone displaced from her own country. To kids that age, the concept of death is not necessarily a permanent or scary thing (As monimarine said, though, every child will develop differently), and Molly was someone with a big imagination who tended to romanticize situations.

I probably sound silly defending Molly's stories this much . . . hee hee! [img]redface.gif[/img]

At the same time, I think it's great that we all have different favorites! [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 28, 2006 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by FarmhouseGirl:
    I want to add one thing about blond dolls (because I think I was the first that posted they aren't my favorite! [img]redface.gif[/img] ), the reason I don't like them as much is because I am not blond. It has nothing more to do with it than that. I grew up in Utah were many many little girls were blond, and me, being half Jewish, have dark features. I always wished there was a Jewish girl, and because of that I've never gotten a blond.

Larson is my brother's doll, mine all have dark hair. I loved that Lindsey was a Jewish doll, and got her because I think she is adorable, but was a little put off that she had blue eyes. I've grown to love her look though!

It's not that I don't think they are pretty dolls, they just don't relate to me as well.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, awesome insight. I think there's some research out there about how most girls will pick a doll that looks like them, but there's a noted few that won't. I forgot the reason, but I never wanted a doll with brown hair/eyes like myself (thus, like I said before, my dislike for Samantha) unless they weren't the same race as me. In other words, I guess I'm happiest with a doll DIFFERENT from me.

I think that might have been part of the reason I was so drawn to Kirsten as a kid. I REALLY wanted blonde hair, because, as I understood it, blonde girls were prettier than brown haired girls and everyone liked them better (I know better NOW, but back THEN ... ) I have a list of other reasons I liked Kirsten, but at the time, she was the only blonde among five girls, so it doesn't surprise me that I liked her. If I were a little girl today, I think I might have picked Kit. I do remember going through a catalouge and wondering what historicals I'd like to get: "Well, I really want Nellie, and Kit's so cute, and hmm, I might like Eliza -- wait a minute."

Oddly enough, when it comes to the today girls, I usually dislike the blondes, especially the light blonde girl (AG22). I don't know why there's a switch, maybe it's some sort of repressed memory from middle school of the pretty girls teasing me. AG17 (Sara) and AG26 are my current favorites. However, I really don't like AG3, which is weird because she's essentially Kirsten, my favorite. Also, Jess is my favorite LE, and Kailey's my least favorite.

In short, I guess I'm weird.

I'm hearing a lot of people say they don't like/do like Kirsten AND Molly. I wonder if there's a correlation between "if I like this doll, I will like this doll." That'd be an interesting poll to tally.

In terms of stories, I really hate how Felicity is in her stories at first. She grows up a bit and is a perfectly respectable character, but at first she's really grating. Which makes me torn, because I'd kind of like a Felicity doll.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

originally posted by Melissa:
    Psychologists claim that children can't fully grasp the concept of death (because children's brains are still developing) until around age 12+.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with that completely. This is not to say that kids don't understand that something terrible has happened, or that they can't be sad about it, but I do think death is something that you can't fully grasp the enormity of until you are older. My grandfather, who was a true kindred spirit to me, died right after I turned nine. I was very sad when it happened; I thought about him a lot and kept his picture next to my bed for a long time afterward. But I couldn't quite grasp the idea that he was gone forever, that I would never see him again, that it was final. That understanding didn't come until I was about sixteen, when it suddenly hit me all at once what I had lost. That was when I really went through the grieving process for real, when I finally dealt with the loss and what it meant to me. My concept of death at nine was totally different from what it became at sixteen.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Kirsten is very cute but I can never read her books. They just seem boring to me. I have tried to read them quite a few times but I can never get into them.
    My favorite is Kaya because I love her books and I think the Kaya doll is adorable.
    I also think that Lindsay's book is a very good book and I loved reading it, but I never really though the Lindsay doll was really cute. I love her face and her outfit but I just don't like her hair all that much.
    Sorry Kirsten and Lindsay fans.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 28, 2006 04:55 PM: Message edited by: kayakacey04 ]</font>

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011