Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I found some camping equipment on ebay and want to know if someone has the retired AG tent and can tell me about it. When the poles slide out do they fold up like a "real" tent. I'm trying to decide if I want to get it to go witht he backpack. Will it fold up to be strapped to the frame pack?

Also, anyone who sews. I bought the retired Simplicity pattern with all the camping equipment, mummy bag, tent, etc. It hasn't come yet, but I was wondering how the tent in that set worked as well. It's hard to tell from the picture.

If you can't tell, I'm big into back packing and I think Kumi would like it too [img]wink.gif[/img] .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by schillil:
    I found some camping equipment on ebay and want to know if someone has the retired AG tent and can tell me about it. When the poles slide out do they fold up like a "real" tent. I'm trying to decide if I want to get it to go witht he backpack. Will it fold up to be strapped to the frame pack?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have all of the Today camping items. I LOVE that stuff -- it's my favorite! Anyway, the tent poles are about a foot long and don't fold, so they are too long for the doll to carry. If you fold the fabric part of the tent up really small, it will fit in the purple backpack, but it pretty much takes up the whole thing. The tent is not really made for the doll to haul with her gear.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, anyone who sews. I bought the retired Simplicity pattern with all the camping equipment, mummy bag, tent, etc. It hasn't come yet, but I was wondering how the tent in that set worked as well. It's hard to tell from the picture.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I made the Simplicity camping pattern stuff. Couldn't locate suitable "reed" to use for poles, so the tent is still waiting to be put up. Went together fine, though. I used an old retired tent from a garage sale for the fabric. The sleeping bag is real cute too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I made the Simplicity camping pattern stuff. Couldn't locate suitable "reed" to use for poles, so the tent is still waiting to be put up. Went together fine, though. I used an old retired tent from a garage sale for the fabric. The sleeping bag is real cute too.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 22, 2006 02:01 PM: Message edited by: leafbyniggle3 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've looked at that Simplicity pattern, and the type of reed they are referring to is for basket weaving. I have the AG tent too, but it came without poles. Luckily, I also have the Target tent, and the poles fit the AG one very nicely. Having both, I can definitely say I like the AG one a lot better.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have that pattern, I haven't used it yet since I bought a tent at Target and figured that was cheaper then all the supplies I'd need to sew one. I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to do though. I think it called for some kind of reed to hold the frame into shape. I don't think I could of found all the stuff it calls for where I live. I can't even find half the fabric I want here. If you do make it post pics I like to see it done.
    carol

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We bought the $5.99 Target tent. It is really cute, and seems very Sturdy. My 2 1/2 year old daughter plays with Samantha with it all of the time. It is nice an big. You can take the flexible plastic tent poles out of it and store the tent in the little bag, just like a real tent.
    The door and two windows can be tied open. It could probably sleep two dolls.
    d8bdcf7d

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 22, 2006 01:38 PM: Message edited by: American_Mommy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The reed problem was solved before I even bought the pattern. I can't really afford the set on ebay and I don't mind sewing, so I was going to design a tent myself. The pattern just makes life easier.

Hehehe...The PetStop near my house has "rigid" tubing for fish tanks. It bends very nicely, is quite sturdy, cheap, and easy to cut with a utility knife.

Now if I could just figure out how to make them collapsable. Hmmm...a puzzlement.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Excellent idea! I will stop there this week and take a look. There MUST be a way to make shock corded poles.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The reed problem was solved before I even bought the pattern. I can't really afford the set on ebay and I don't mind sewing, so I was going to design a tent myself. The pattern just makes life easier.

Hehehe...The PetStop near my house has "rigid" tubing for fish tanks. It bends very nicely, is quite sturdy, cheap, and easy to cut with a utility knife.

Now if I could just figure out how to make them collapsable. Hmmm...a puzzlement.

AG Crazy in Wyoming

I've got it!!! At least it sounds good in my head. Shock cord poles -
    1.)Rigid fish tank tubing (awesome idea) cut into packable lengths.
    2.)Thin elastic cording
    3.)Eyelet snap rivets (comes in package near snaps at craft store) not riveted attached with super glue into each end of tubing. They seem to fit o.k. without glue but long term might wiggle loose.
    O.K. I have poles -now does anyone have an extra pattern they would part with? I would love to experiment. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Bugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast