Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

HELP!

My DD brought her Samantha in to me this morning to show me a big green stain on her cloth body! A friend was playing with her yesterday and this may be when it happened as they were also doing drawings! DD is very very careful with her dolls, almost to the point of being neurotic about it. Anyway...Sam had this big green stain on the top of her torso that looked like green maker rubbed off on her. I gently used a Mr. Clean Magic eraser on her because I was trying to avoid a lot of wetness on the cloth. Some of the stain came off but, I was having a hard time on the area where her neck was under the cloth. Scary as it sounds I made the decision to remove her head so that I wasn't pushing the stain into her stuffing thinking that I could clean her more efficiently by doing this.
    This was easy as pie!!!! Well since we were considering sending this Sam back to AG for them to fix her VERY loose joints (she was bought new in Dec!) DD and I decided to give it a try! We unstuffed her and put the stuffing in a zip lock bag. Well, I went back to work on the cloth body. I got the stain out but, now the area where is stain was is lighter than the other area??!!!!!
    I was careful as could be and the green is gone now which is great because it was BAD!
    Should I set her in the Sunlight to try to lighten the rest of her body some to even it out????

Now another question. I can get hemostats and ferrals for the re-stringing with no problem. They are available locally but, what kind of store could I find the elastic cording at locally. I don't want to wait to order some. We want Sam back NOW!!!

Help!!!! I know all you restoration experts out there know just what we need to do.
    Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Jess is kind of freaking out because she can't find Sam and DD just told her that she is visiting a friend. She said that she can't let Jess see her like this!!!!!

Thanks!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't restrung a doll, but at least two members said you can get the cording at Hancock Fabrics. If you don't have those locally, I'd try maybe a hobby shop. I don't know about the body problem, though. Good luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by 3castles:

Jess is kind of freaking out because she can't find Sam and DD just told her that she is visiting a friend. She said that she can't let Jess see her like this!!!!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is SO cute! Good luck with Samantha!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The right kind of elastic cord is very hard to find locally--I can't find any in Charlotte, NC--a fairly major shopping area.

What is available at Hancock Fabrics is similar, but it is nylon-covered, not cotton-covered, which was particularly recommended. I have been warned away from the nylon-covered kind, as not being as long-lasting as the cotton-covered.
    (It seems to me that it would be more prone to slipping through the brass sleeves, too, thus loosening the joints prematurely, but maybe that's just my paranoia.))

I ordered my elastic from a doll-supply site--it was only about $10 for 10 yards, which may be a lot, but I re-string lots of dolls--my own, plus anyone else's who wants me to!

(The re-stringing guide in justmagicdolls.com lists a couple of recommended doll-supply sites--I think I got mine from miniworld.com.)

If it were me, I'd just order some elastic as an investment in doll maintenance--they ship promptly, and you'll know Sam's new joints will last. Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know how many of you live anywhere near Raleigh, NC but, I just found the cloth covered 1/8" elastic cording (round) at the Mill Outlet Village in Raleigh!!!! The lady even told me that a couple of people have bought this before to restring their dolls!!! We are going to a Renaissance rally tomorrow so we can stop by and get some and get Sam on the road to recovery!!!!
    It's only .50 a yard too!!!! This is a upholstery supply place so maybe others could get some at the same type of store!!!!

I will update everyone on Sam's progress!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We have a store here in my town called "The Rain Shed." They sell all kinds of cording, fittings, duckcloth, and other stuff needed to sew backpacks, tents, rain gear, you name it. When I'm ready to do my restringing, I'm heading there first. I remember they have elastic cording from the last time I was there. Maybe your town has a similar type store. Of course this IS Oregon, it very well could be a one-of-a-kind shop! LOL

~Dee