Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my most well-packaged AG items/dolls have all been from hostboard members . . .hmmmm, are we surprised? [img]wink.gif[/img]

I used to send things to my friend in Malaysia, and that was fairly expensive, but I do think that many sellers on eaby are getting away with highway robbery! That said, i have been surprised with how much certain things have cost me to ship when it comes time to visit the post office.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by wicksasc:
    It costs me at least $5.00 in ebay and paypal fees to sell a $40.00 item. Tack that ammount on and it makes shipping and handling fees look really high.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought ebay rules say that you cannot use shipping and handling to recoup your fees. Of course, we all know it happens.

Handling would be the price of driving to the post office, the cost of materials or the lost wages to get off work in time to get there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I always charge a flat rate of $12 to $15 to ship a doll. It's hard to find boxes to ship AG dolls, that aren't too big. The bigger the box, the more it weighs. I always ship Priority, and state in my auction that shipping price includes insurance.
    On a doll over $50, insurance is $2.30 of that shipping fee. By the time I factor in bubble wrap and packing supplies, I'm just covering my costs.
    What gets me upset is the sellers that sell doll shoes, and charge $4.05 Priority to ship one pair of shoes, just because the box is free.
    I sell mostly doll shoes, and charge $1.50 for the first pair, and 50 cents a pair after that.
    That covers the cost of padded envelopes and labels.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have been saving all of my bubble wrap and peanuts from AG packages I receive and ebay, and then I still had to go out and buy my own. I spent $4 on one thing of peanuts at the last minute at Walmart to mail one package. I wrapped a doll in bubble wrap, and then used old mylar balloons I had collected to help "pad" it. I am only charging actual shipping on ebay plus $1 for padded envelopes/boxes/bubblewrap. I keep all my AG boxes to ship stuff out in! If I run out of those boxes, I'll have to charge more for shipping! I don't even take into account the drive to the post office (if I mail on Saturday). I try to send things from work, too. It made it cheaper for HB members than if I had gone to UPS or the post office because we get a corporate discount. Still, some people are obviously trying to recoup fees. I'm not offering paypal (although if contacted, they can do a paypal direct transfer). I intend to keep all of my auctions low priced that way. I don't want to mess with paypal fees. Ebay fees are enough!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also save everything, but sometimes that's not enough. When I've had to use an unusually large box to ship a doll, I've lined the bottom and sides with foam egg cartons that I save. That saves on the amount of peanuts I have to use. That method also works good for anything fragile. The egg cartons on the bottom and sides is firmer padding, especially for breakables. When my aunt passed away, we sold a lot of her glassware and pieces of depression glass on Ebay. Nothing got broken using this method.
    As for Paypal....I have two accounts, and 2 ID's.
    When I list a more expensive item, like a doll, I list under the ID that accepts Paypal credit cards. I find I get higher prices if I can offer Paypal. My doll shoes are sold under the other ID, with no Paypal credit cards, since I'd have no profit accepting Paypal on those.

MickeyFan

Sometimes the shipping is really that high. I sold a doll on ebay and after adding the insurance and delivery confirmation the shipping cost was over $16. There were no added fees for shipping materials, etc. She was shipped in her box in a shipping box. I also just sent two dolls to the AG hospital and after adding postal insurance, it cost over $18 to ship them. I try to give sellers the benefit of the doubt unless they are charging $7 or more to ship doll clothes that aren't in the original box. To me that seems a little high.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 28, 2006 12:31 AM: Message edited by: MickeyFan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

After packing the doll securely, I have often paid $12+ to ship a doll. I don't usually factor handling costs into my shipping when I sell, but some sellers do. It costs me at least $5.00 in ebay and paypal fees to sell a $40.00 item. Tack that ammount on and it makes shipping and handling fees look really high.

I will take shipping fees into account when bidding. What bothers me is when the shipping costs are not stated. I makes me even more upset when they are changed after the listing closes. I know that that is "not allowed" on ebay, but I have had it happen anyway. The seller just said that she miscalculated and would not send the item unless I paid the extra shipping. I should have reported it, but I didn't and just paid the extra $1.50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12