Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

At long last, huh? In case no one remembers this story (for which I would not blame you), here's the other parts:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5.

~*~

?This is not going to work.?

?How do you know that??

?Because...it's just...crazy!? 23 sputtered. ?I'm usually the nutsy one here, but I think I'll be handing that title over to you.?

?It really is very dangerous sounding,? 15 said nervously. ?If it goes wrong, we'll end up on...on the Floor.? She shivered. ?And you're sending 26 down there on PURPOSE!?

26 stayed silent, merely eying the Floor with wide eyes.

?Sometimes you've gotta take a big risk to get what you want,? 24 said simply, not sounding fazed in the slightest. ?If this works...?

?IF?!? 23 shrieked.

24 rolled her eyes. ?Fine. When it works, she'll be on her way to that name of hers.? She glanced at 26, whose eyes were still glued to the Floor several shelves below her. ?Well?? she asked impatiently. ?Are you in or not??

Everyone was silent as they waited for her response. This was it: the key pivotal moment that would change everything. She could say no, and they'd spend the day and the day after it talking about that name of hers.

Or she could say yes, and possibly have a chance to get that name.

26 glanced over at the others: 23 was practically vibrating with nervous energy. 15 was biting her lip, looking worried as well. Only 24 looked confident: there wasn't a single trace of doubt on her face. She gave 26 a nod and a smile.

Slowly 26 returned the grin. ?Yeah, I'm ready.?

23 moaned softly in her box. ?This is gonna be baaaaaaad...? she whimpered.

24 rolled her eyes. ?It is not. Let's go over what we need to do, and where we need to be. Here's the main deal: you know those numbers they call? I think they're our numbers. So when they call 26 like they have been lately, we just send her down. Like I said before, I don't know how far off this thing we can propel ourselves, so we'd all better be ready. 15, you'll stay to her right; 23 to her left. When 26 starts leaning forward, you two will give her that final nudge to the corners of her box.?

?And send her over face first,? 23 said, glaring at 24.

24 glared right back. ?No, that's when I'll tip my box forward and hit the bottom of her box forward, meaning she'll land on her back, perfectly fine.?

?No she won't!? 23 yelled. ?She'll be hitting the Floor!?

?23, it's fine,? 26 said in an attempt to get her friend to stop talking about it. She'd been fine and free of any nerves, but 23's anxiousness was starting to rub off on her. She knew 23 was just worried for her, but she'd never wanted her friend to shut up so badly.

?No it's not,? 23 argued. ?Do you know what happens to dolls that hit the Floor, 24? They don't come back up here! They're in pieces on the Floor, and you want to send her...?

?How do you know they end up in pieces?? 15 asked in a soft voice, cutting through 23's nervous babbling and 26's growing panic. ?Have you ever seen it happen??

23 blinked. ?Well, I...no,? she finally admitted.

?Have you ever seen a doll fall down there?? 24 asked. ?Because I've never seen it happen.?

23 blinked some more. ?Then why are we so afraid of it?? she demanded a few moments later. ?26'll be fine. Let's do this already, people!?

26 just stared at her. ?Talk about your mood swings,? she mumbled.

24 grinned; she was more than ready for this. ?We all know our places?? she asked. Three little heads nodded back. ?Take positions,? she barked, hopping backwards.

The doors below swung open, the workers coming in for the start of their day. It was like every other day, as far as they were concerned. Work, take a break or two, then head home. Usual work day.

Something very unusual was about to happen, however.

?Hey, Harry!? a voice from a worker called out. ?We need a 26!?

?That's our cue,? 24 said, sounding as if she were behind her.

26 perched herself as close to the edge as she dared. ?Ready?? 24 called out.

?Ready,? 26 responded. She was more than ready for this, too.

?Then let's rock n' roll,? 24 said.

?'Rock n' roll'?? 15 asked, frowning.

26 imagined 24 shrugging. ?It's something the workers say,? she said. ?I thought it sounded cool.?

?Not for our present situation,? 23 muttered. ?The rocking part we need, but definitely not the rolling part.?

24 ignored her. She was getting good at that. ?26, start rocking, but slowly. You two, get ready for my signal. When I tell you to, push forward.?

?Got it!? 23 said cheerfully. 26 wished she was as cheerful as her. Of course, 23 wasn't about to plummet several shelves down.

Slowly she began rocking. Back and forth, back and forth...she could feel the edge of the box lean over the shelf, then back onto the shelf. It was an unnerving feeling. ?Someone push me already,? she muttered.

?Now!? 24 yelled.

26's eyes widened. ?I didn't mean it!? she said, shrieking as the edges of her box were tipped, and she began to fall forward. Then something was hitting the portion of the box near her shoes, and she was being flipped around and tilted upwards, just like 24 had planned. It had worked.

She allowed herself a split second to congratulate herself and the girls for a job well done, before the part that 24 hadn't prepared her for happened: gravity. With another tiny shriek she fell towards the ground, unable to see when or where she'd land.

Bam! She hit the floor with a loud sound that echoed all around her. ?Are you okay?? 23 yelled, her voice sounding distant.

?I'm fine,? 26 managed to gasp out. It had scared her, but she was unhurt.

?Glad to hear it!? 23 yelled again. 26 just shook her head and smiled.

?Hey Brian,? a deeper voice said close by, and 26 froze. ?Thought you'd put the boxes up safely? This one just tumbled right down!?

?It did not! I'm tellin' you Harry, the box tilted on its own!?

There was a sigh, and then she was being lifted slowly. Her lid was pulled off, and she gave a bright smile to the new face. ?Well, she's not hurt, poor thing,? the face said, giving her a smile and reaching in the brush a little something from her cheek. He closed the lid and checked the bottom. ?Hey, we needed one of these, didn't we? Number 26??

?Yup,? the other voice said. Brian, she guessed. ?But I'm telling you, that stupid box tipped on its own!?

There was another sigh. He sounded a lot like 24. ?Look man, the boxes can't tip on their own. I mean, they're cute and all, but they're dolls. You should go take a break, man. You've been in here for too long.?

?I've only been here for five minutes!?

?Too long,? Harry said. 26 could feel herself moving, and then the squeaking of the doors. ?I'll take this inside and put her through shipping.?

?Yeah, all right. I'm gonna go grab a soda and sit down for a bit.?

?Yeah. You do that.?

?Strangest thing,? was the last thing 26 heard Brian mutter. ?I could've sworn I saw the box just start tippin' on its own...?

~*~

Sorry for the long wait, but I hope the extra long bit makes up for it! ^_^

*Kas

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] Thank you Kas! Thank you! THANK YOU! ! ! [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]
    You are such a great writer and I am so proud of you!!!

[img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Love ya! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
    ~Mom

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 21, 2006 08:06 PM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yea!! I was so excited when I saw this! Keep up the good work.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes! I've been waiting. I'm excited for the next part!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That was fantastic Kas!!! BRAVO!!! loved the whole story!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fabulous!! But do we get to find out if #26 has a happy ending -- ie, she gets a name?? [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great job! More more more! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

I*love*dolls

<font size="1000">LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!</font>

I love having excuses for the big letters!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice work! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very good so far! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I'm glad to see an update, and I'm also glad to see #26 off to get a name finally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast