Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Careers and Penny Pinching

joelanddeborah

Well, I am a stay-at-home Mom, but except for the mornings, I don't do much staying at home! [img]wink.gif[/img]

I wanted EVERYTHING in the Pleasant Company catalog from the time I first saw them in the late 80's. But I was in college and supporting myself... After that, I got married, and started having children... Well, I bought a Kirsten for my first daughter in 1998, but really still had to be very very frugal. PATIENCE.... [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

Finally, last May I started collecting the Pleasant Company things I'd wanted for so long, and it has cost us a pretty penny.

I guess the moral of my story is, just buy a little bit here and there at a time. There is no rush, right? I wish I had done that starting in 1986, even just with little tiny bits of money here and there. I wish I hadn't waited until so many of the nicest things became retired and so expensive. [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]

My collecting has inspired one of my friends to start collecting old Pleasant Company things, too, and now I'm spending her money instead of mine!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] (She runs an office, so I'm finding things on ebay for her!) This is the most fun way to collect, I'm learning, because I don't pay the bill! [img]smile.gif[/img] And, I can go over to her house and oogle all over the things whenever I want!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ooo that sounds fun! And I know what you mean Deborah! Patience! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

I think because I have always wanted all these things for American Girl as a child, now I can afford them, I want to just buy everything all at once.

And of course with the impending grey cloud of "possible retirement" of certain items, I feel like there is some hidden clock tick-tick-ticking away! [img]graemlins/clock.gif[/img]

MickeyFan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jerseycow6:
    [QB]Hey, that's a good idea! Maybe my geology major will come in handy... I'll get to work on those oil reserves...

You never know. My Brother-in-Law got his degree in Geology because the girl he was dating was getting her degree in Geology and he wanted to take classes with her. He also took some computer classes on the side since he was interested in computers. After graduation, he was hired by one of the big oil companies and became one of the bigwigs making major $$. All because of a Geology degree so go for it [img]smile.gif[/img]

MickeyFan

Originally posted by adorevintage:
    I'm just curious, since there are a lot of adult collectors here, what do you do (job wise)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm a stay-at-home Mom also. My husband is a sales rep and that is what lets us afford to get the stuff we have so far. I think it is all in what you put your money into. People spend money in different ways and in different hobbies. We don't travel a lot because we enjoy the things our state has to offer so we don't have that additional cost. I agree, that patience pays off and there is always ebay for selling some of that extra stuff that you don't want anymore. AG is expensive, but I'm sure you'll eventually get what you want [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You know, I just thought of something.

While I DO want everything right now... I think half the fun of collecting is being able to pick and choose what you will get next (even if can be a bit tedious...so many cute things!)and seeing your collection gradually grow throughout the years.

Ebay is great to get good deals (I got Samantha's Table & Chairs for $53) and also for the retired goodies. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Well, I'm a grad student (graduating in less than a month!) and I work as an accountant. Cost of living here in DC means that I can only just barely pay my bills. I rely on the Madison sale and Christmas for most of my AG stuff. Even when I'm making more money (starting next month!) I'd like to stick to my old pattern, it keeps me from spending too much, and it lets me enjoy what I have. I guess, since I've been collecting for almost 15 years, I have a pleasantly long view of my collection. What I really want though, is air conditioning [img]wink.gif[/img] LOL.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am a Compliance Auditor for a government contractor. I'm also still putting myself through school at the grueling pace of once class at a time. I make the average income in our area.
    My husband is a contractor and builds specialty houses (we're going to move into one in July/August). It's going to be a 3-story on Wheeler Lake, and I can't wait. My father-in-law will be moving into the basement, and he will help with expenses. My hubby makes more than I do.
    My pay goes for bills, and my hubby's pay goes for gas, groceries, and stuff as well as paying any extra I can on credit cards that have 0% interest.
    I'm collecting a little at a time, but relegating it to stuff I really want and could retire, and then I ask for AG stuff for all the holidays. Our anniversary is coming up in May, and that will be my "Kit" anniversary. Then my AG21 birthday is in July, and I'm having a Felicity Christmas. I'll probably get next year's LE,too, in January with Christmas money from relatives. I buy little stuff during the year, but that is more of a equality in spending thing. He gets a game of golf, and I get $25 for dolls. I use my credit card to purchase everything, and I pay all my extra $$ to my credit card because they give me a gift card to a store of my choice ($50 for every $5000). As long as I put all my bills on it and pay it, I take those extra gift cards and buy clothes, or use them for groceries at Target. That frees up some extra cash to go shopping on too!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting thread, I loved reading about everyone's jobs and how they are funding their AG addictions!

Here's my story...
    I am single and soon to be 27 (this Saturday!!) I graduated from grad school last May, and am working as a Speech-Language Pathologist in a Rehabilitation Center/Nursing Home. (Have been there alomost a year now!).

I only collect the historical dolls and their collections. I have all 8 dolls so far (didn't care to collect the "friend" dolls) and am working on getting the items I like from each of their collections with a focus on the outfits and accessories.

As for funding my AG addiction, I have been collecting AG items for nearly 18 years so I have many items I received as gifts from birthdays, Christmases, Easter, etc. not to mention my own purchsaes. I used to fund my purchases from babysitting, part-time jobs, and odd jobs around the house when I was younger.

Now, my paychecks are divided into saving for a house, making car payments, paying bills and then about once a year I make an AG purchase. However, since becoming a member on hostboard, (only 1 month now!) I have made 3 AG purchases!!!!

I have put these purchases on my credit card, but will need to pay them off as soon as the bill arrives! I am waiting for my birthday presents this year because I asked for Kit's bed and her bedding, and have a feeling I'm getting it as it was the only thing I asked for.

My next purchase will be a few more furniture items (Kit's desk, Molly's desk, Molly's table and chairs as well as Samantha's desk) and then I'll have to quit for awhile (at least until AG decides to release an Asian AG, then watch my credit card balance rise again!).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a college student. I currently don't get a lot of help from my parents (my dad's been sick) so I live off of student loans. Generally, I have around $10-13 a day budgeted for misc. expenses like food and gas. That also includes spending money, so I can't buy a lot of AG, you can imagine. Right now, though, it's the end of the year so I've been "loser" with my money and it will only get worse when AGPLA opens [img]wink.gif[/img] . But usually I rely on gift-givers for my AG fix.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 13, 2006 08:41 PM: Message edited by: only1genevieve ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a chemist. I'm also working on my MBA right now and will be graduating in 3 weeks. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast