Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Call me what you will. . .I think Pleasant would approve of anything that was sound business sense (i.e. made money!).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I totally agree.

Yes, Pleasant was more into the educational aspect than current AG is, but she obviously was also in it for making money, or she wouldn't have sold her company to Mattel for the 700 million, she would have picked a smaller company that would stay more true to her original idea, but for less money than she got from Mattel.

I don't think that everything that's happened would have, as in no attempted Lissie retirement, but I do think she wouldn't have been above getting rid of/changing an accessory set if it meant more money on something that wasn't selling well anyway. I definitely don't think she would have gotten rid of the school acccessories, though.

I do think, though, that she would have done it in a less business like way, and a more friendly way, giving advance warning of retirements. Telling buyers that they only have a few months to buy so-and-so item before they stop making it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I received Samantha's Original Paint Set this afternoon and I have to say, I am so very impressed that the little paint tubes are real with real paint!

I just feel since Mattel, the Historical line has gone down in quality. I know Pleasant wanted things to be as authentic as possible and even functional!

Like Molly's wooden ballerina in her stocking, her Christmas globe, her Nurse doll... all the newer changes completely cheapened those sets for me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that Addy's Winter Amusements, Felicity's rescue kit and Sam's paint set were retired in 2002. I remember I was able to get them that summer, before they were sold out. I'll have to check and see if I can find any reciepts to verify or at least look through old catalogs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by adorevintage:

Like Molly's wooden ballerina in her stocking, her Christmas globe, her Nurse doll... all the newer changes completely cheapened those sets for me.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those changes happened long before Pleasant sold the company, but I understand what you mean and agree 100%.

Addy's Sweet Potato Pudding set goes for so much because the skillet is real cast iron and the bowl is a real Yellow Ware bowl made by Rowe pottery, which by itself is a bit pricey.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 14, 2006 02:48 PM: Message edited by: QNPoohBear ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12