Thread: Cool DD Story

emsmombuysdolls

Every summer DD sends out a newsletter of things she does over the summer. She pretends she's Kit. It's a lot of fun and secretly gets her to do "homework" like stuff over the summer. She sends them to distant family members and teachers. This is the second summer she has done it. When we went to school the first day one of her ex teachers gave her a book of stamps so she can keep getting newsletters and her new teacher said, "I know you, you're the one with the newsletter! I hope I get one next summer" The best part was her last year's teacher said she was disappointed that DD didn't bring in her fixer upper Molly in to show her (that was one of DD's projects over the summer). So the second day of school DD stayed after for about 45 min talking to her ex teacher and showing her Molly, how you care for the dolls, and restore them. They went through all the Molly books and chit chatted about the controversy surrounding Emily as a friend doll. They talked about 1940's house and the future USO dance we will be attending. I was a very proud parent. I reccomend this summer activity if you can.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aw. I loved to talk for hours with my elementary school teachers. Brings back memories...oh, Mrs. Sterling, where are you? [img]wink.gif[/img]

I still end up talking with some of my teachers. There are just some I don't want to talk to, I could talk with my English teacher forever.

Which reminds me, I still keep in "somewhat" contact with my most favorite teacher, and she's just had a little girl! Emma is a "future" American Girl fan...if I have anything to do with it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cute idea!! I love talking to my elementary - and, er, high school - teachers as well!!

My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Olecki, lives down the street from us, and we've stayed in really close contact with her and her family through the years... I was in her daughter's wedding last year. I think a little enabling might have been going on when I convinced her to buy not just one, but ALL of the mini-dolls [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

I became really close to my AP Euro teacher last year. Hopefully we'll keep in contact too. I've been emailing her on-and-off during the summer, and we went to see Wicked together. Sadly, she only has boys, so I can't enable her daughters to buy AG... but I think it would drive her husband crazy if I got her hooked on AG dolls herself (since my friends and I are already to blame for her new Harry Potter obession). Tee hee. I'm bringing Harper to visit her when I drive down to her house later this year. Hmm... and maybe someone else who has something to do with Euro [img]wink.gif[/img] .

I'm hoping to convince one of them, or my third-grade teacher (who teaches at the same school Mrs. Olecki does) to host one of the traveling dolls coming to visit me in their classroom for a day.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a sweet daughter you have that she thinks of sending out such a fun newsletter. The recipients are fortunate indeed. That's great that your daughter keeps in touch that way.

I'm glad she has former teachers who can appreciate your daughter's writing contribution like that. Your dd will have fond memories of those teachers for years to come. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing your DD's story with us. The newsletter is a great idea! I'll keep it in mind for next summer. That is so neat about your DD's ex-teacher wanting to see Molly. I know you DD must have been thrilled to see her teacher take such an interest in her love for AG.