Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Inventor Nia Doll.....(OT?)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was so happy that my fave top two made it, the restroom stall door clip, and the Sandbag scoop. Both are ingenius, and I can totally see making it in the market. I like the Therapy Buddy too! I didn't like the voice he had, but I thought he was adorable!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's a link to American Inventor if you want to find out about contestants or inventions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://abc.go.com/primetime/americaninventor/index.html

Here's more information on Niya:
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/american...rt-powell.html
    I have to admit, I don't really understand the concept of the Niya doll yet. Niya was created to teach the inventor's daughter about her own heritage, and speaks a few phrases in English and Swahili (and Spanish). But there are so many different African languages that I'm not sure how just teaching children one is expanding acceptance--it's more like a doll that was custom-made for the girl who originally owned it (could they personalize her with other languages, maybe?). But it's still fun to see a doll in the top 12, and I'm interested in learning more about the concept, because right now, I'm just confused! [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 15, 2006 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For those following American Inventor, or even for those not, the Niya doll will be up next week. The inventor gets to take her product and tweak it with experts. It might be fun to watch for everyone here, just to see how a doll is manufactured. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was really disappointed in the sandbag scoop guy. His attitude REALLY put me off, and I can't believe he spent $2,500 of the money on a new suit! Honestly, I think the best person moved on to the final round last night. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for Niya, I don't think she'll win, but she might make it to the final four. It's a really cute idea and I would even be tempted to get one if they did make her.

DaisyDee...I thought 'My Theraphy Buddy' was really cute too! The voice was scary, but the animal itself was adorable. I want one of those to cuddle with at night! lol

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by BohemianMare:
    I was really disappointed in the sandbag scoop guy. His attitude REALLY put me off, and I can't believe he spent $2,500 of the money on a new suit!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We were too! I really liked his product and I can't believe that he didn't spend the $50,000 wisely to help the sandbag shovel move on in the competition.

The next show should be interesting to watch. It will be fun to see how they will improve the Niya doll.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with you both about the sandbag inventor. I was rooting for his invention . . . until I saw his attitude. It was silly for him to say it was fine as is when he knew he had to impress the judge who was mentoring him. It sends a really bad message when you decide the $50,000 meant to go into product development belongs to you instead of the invention.

He could have gone with all the new concepts and if they didn't work, he would have had the one he called "done" all finished and ready to go as well. He just wasn't open to anything except his own ideas, and showed that he would be a difficult inventor to work if he won.

I don't think there were any big winners in this group of three, so I wish they hadn't been sorted this way. Some of the other inventions look a lot more like winners to me, and they might get weeded out due to how they divided up the competitors.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oops! I thought last week was only a clip show! I didn't realise there was a second episode that was new. Which three went up before the judges again, and who moved on?

~Dee

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The three inventors on Thursday's show were...

The lady with the Un-brella, the sandbag shovel man, and the man with the Receiver's Training Pole vest to help you catch a football correctly.

The football vest was the one that went on in the competition.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 22, 2006 02:15 PM: Message edited by: MOM to JILLIAN ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bumping this back up to the top because TONIGHT is the night that the Niya doll will be on the show.

ETA: The Niya doll will not be going on to the top 4 in the competition. I was really impressed with Niya's inventor. She made some very positive improvements to her doll using the $50,000. I really think a doll company will eventually market her product.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 27, 2006 10:08 PM: Message edited by: MOM to JILLIAN ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12