Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emily Sighting--sort of (AG should watch)

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right now on Channel 11 (WTTW--PBS) in the Chicago area, there is a movie showing called "Carrie's War". It's a movie set in World War II, in Wales, where 2 children from London have been sent to keep them safe from the bombing. I think that she looks just like Emily, and I'm really loving seeing her clothes!
    Joy

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 16, 2006 10:08 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh! I really, really hope that AG watches this movie and gets good ideas about what kinds of clothes to make for Emily!! They're so wonderful! And so British! [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Joy

MapleLeaf

Thanks Joy!! I just switched over to watch it too. She does look alot like Emily.
    Nia [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh! It was such a wonderful, wonderful movie! I wish you all could have seen it! It made me cry.

If you want to learn more about it, you can go to PBS.org, and if you want to buy the movie, you can call 1-800-255-9424.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/carrieswar/

http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index...entPage=family

If AG doesn't make Emily clothes like these, I will just have to figure out a way to do it myself! These are the clothes that she really deserves! They are just perfect for her!

Joy

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 16, 2006 10:43 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been watching Masterpiece Theater almost every week (since Bleak House aired), and meant to tell you last week about this movie, and forgot to! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Carrie reminded me of Kit, rather than Emily, although the era wasn't quite the same. She wore a gray jacket and beret that were very similar to Kit's, as well as a pink sweater set that resembled hers.

I loved the movie . . . until the end. The pacing at the end was horrible. My mom was watching it as well, and got very confused and needed someone to explain what was happening. But it was still a really fun movie to watch for fans of Narnia (which is also about children moved to the countryside during the war) and/or Emily! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] It was also a "feel good" movie, which isn't always the case for children's books.

Thanks for mentioning it, Joy!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 16, 2006 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I watched it ,too.
    It was a great movie!

MapleLeaf

I just checked our listings and it's going to be repeated again at midnight so I have set our PVR to record the whole show.
    Thanks again Joy!

Nia [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm watching this right now, haha. I had to stop to go look up the name of it because I missed the very beginning and TV Guide channel is listing it as "Masterpiece Theatre" as if I didn't know it was part of the series, lol.

Anyway, I don't think the girl looks much like Emily, but I agree with Melissa on it being Narnia-ish. My mom and I watched Narnia last night (her first Narnia encounter, she hasn't even read any of the books), and watched some of the special features a few hours ago. Turned this on, and immediately thought it looked like Narnia without the magic. The older boy, who I'm guessing comes back later (it's only about 20 min in for me) looks SO much like Peter from the Narnia movie, and the little girl has a sweater that looks nearly identical to the one Lucy had on when she first went to Narnia.

According to the PBS siteabout the movie, it's based on a book. [img]smile.gif[/img] . Off to watch the rest!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just watched it, too, and I was going to post about it...guess I got beaten! [img]wink.gif[/img] It was a really GREAT movie! Even Molly and Emily (my Precious Day Julia) liked it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I couldn't understand what was going on. I think they did find the will though, they just never showed anyone with it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Considering you only watched the last 20 minutes, it's easy to see why you might not have understood everything, [img]wink.gif[/img] . But, I'm quite certain they didn't find the will. After searching for it for so long, they would have made it perfectly clear if they had found it. They made comments all the way to the end about how they'd never found it.

The guy let them live in the house, even though they didn't have the will. They said something along the lines of him being more compassionate after the other lady left to be with her American husband.

And the paper Carrie had seen in the jewelry box was just an envelope that had held a picture and the ring that he gave Carrie that had originally belonged to the lady that died.

If they did find it, that just makes the movie even worse, as my mom and I were both under the impression that they did not find it, and we watched about 95% of the movie (missed the first few minutes, and a few in the middle).

Obviously, I've already forgotten everyone's name. [img]confused.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast