Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did everyone first get introduced to AG?

emer222

I was introduced to AG last summer. My husband has a huge family. His sister and her extended family came up from NJ and a bunch of us got together for a pot luck supper and bingo. My husband's great-niece walked past our table carrying the cutest doll. I said to my sister-in-law, "Isn't she beautiful?" (I was referring to the doll...) She replied, "She's really tall for 7, don't you think?" I opened my mouth to say that I meant the doll but stopped in time. After we got home, I spent hours online googling "doll + bangs + freckles". This led me to the AG web-site. That was 24 dollies ago...

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 27, 2006 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Jean C ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a friend, three years younger, introduce me to them when I was still pretty young (maybe 11 or 12). She was really in love with her Samantha doll, and used the facial cleaner on her all of the time, told me Samantha had real human hair, and she wanted Samantha's life-size boots (her parents had to keep telling her she had no use for them!). We were very good friends, but my family had moved far away, and I was only visiting, so I didn't learn too much about the dolls at the time.

Some time later, my mom was looking in a magazine and found an ad for Pleasant Company. She asked if that was the same doll my friend had. "Why don't you send for a catalog?"

Once she saw the prices, her enthusiasm for the line completely died out [img]wink.gif[/img] but once I saw the catalog in my very own home, mine sure didn't!

Then I started checking the books out of the library, since that was all I could afford. They were incredibly popular, so I read them all out of order and forgot which ones I read (Samantha Learns a Lesson was so popular that I never read it until years later!).

Anyway, that's my story! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My cousin had 3 American Girl dolls and was collecting since she was 5. When ever I was at her house I never really paid attention to them but one day I did and I just became atatched to them. So my mom went and got me my first catolouge, Christmas 2003. I'm now mad at myself because I threw it away but anyways. I saved all my money from Christmas and kept saving it until I almost had enough for a doll which I almost had enough at my birthday and my parents gave me money for my b-day too so I had a lot over $84 which was the price at the time.. We then went to American Girl Place Chicago and after that I was attatched to AG.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know exactly how we started getting catalogs, but anyway, I think the first time I say one was when a neighbor girl who was about 5 years older than me got # 3... I guess it was her who showed me a catalog. At first I liked Kirsten best, because she looked most like me, but then I decided that I really wanted Samantha. This must have been around 2000 or 2001.

I started begging to get her for Christmas... she was the only thing I on my Christmas list that year (Well, besides an outfit or two...) Anyway, I remember being so excited when I finally opened her... I grabbed her and started dancing around the living room! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The <s>End</s> Beginning.... [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was first introduced when I was about 7. When we visited my aunt and uncle my sister and cousin were the same age so they found someone for me to play with when we went to visit. The girl I played with had all four dolls and their collections. They were very wealthy. I went home and kept asking my mom for one but I didn't know what they were called. Two years went by and I forgot about it when at school in the Library they were showing the dolls in cases. I just knew that they were the dolls but they weren't at the library very long to find out more about them. That same year I ordered a book from schelastic- "Kisten Saves the Day" just by chance and in the back was the card with all the dolls and an order form to get a catelog. I had finally found them. The rest is history.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom started getting catalogues when I was still very little, so it was the early 1990s...I'd guess 1991 or so. Being the doll collector she had always been, she enjoyed looking at it and immediately wanted Kirsten. But she didn't have much money at the time, so she just kept looking at the catalogues. However, when I was old enough for a doll, she knew she'd make an exception. So, in 1992, I began looking at the Our New Babies. I was only 3, not quite old enough for a real historical, but the blonde Our New Baby was perfect. And I got her for Christmas that year. Then, at 6/7, I wanted Molly. So, I read her books and got her just before my 7 1/2 birthday in the summer of 1996...and I STILL love my AGs!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know how I got my first catalog but I did, and my Mom and I thought they were gorgeous. I got Samantha in 1988 and I loved that doll. She went everywhere with me. When I was a teen the AG fascination wore off. This past fall my nieces got into Felicity big time and really wanted her. I actually watched the Felicity movie with them and I remembered that I had most of the AG books from when I was a young girl packed away. The books I had were Felicity's, Samantha's and Kirsten's. In that one weekend we unpacked them and read through all of them and my obsession restarted. When I heard that my nieces were going to Felicity for Christmas I splurged on myself and bought a Felicity off of ebay along with a few of her clothes. Now I want an AGT as well.
    I blame it all on my nieces.

Felicity_Fan85

Well even though I got the catalogs when the today girls first came out, I never looked at them- I flipped open to the page with all of them and the way it was set up kinda freaked me out. Later on the next year I saw an AG book (either Kirsten Saves the Day or Molly Saves the Day) I got from out school's RIF project. and the other one I got from it another time. So I think it was the books that got me into AG.

ooh, I love your Garfield quote- he's so cute and I have a stuffed animal of him that I got when I was young [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ April 27, 2006 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Felicity_Fan85 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Back in 03' I believe, Before Christmas, I got a catalog in the mail. It had #21 and a little girl on the cover, both dressed in red I believe. I looked through the catalog and was hooked. Still don't know who sent me the catalog!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had seen the books at the book store when I was in high school and thought they looked interesting, especially since I loved history. [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] Fast forward to 1997, my mother-in-law gave me a catalog that she had received and thought I might like to look at it. [img]smile.gif[/img] I was completely hooked. I drooled over the whole catalog. [img]redface.gif[/img] What drew me in was Felicity, because my daughter has red hair and her personality. Even though my daughter was only three at the time, she exhibited certain traits that Felicity had. I could just picture my daughter eating an apple on top of our roof. [img]confused.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast