Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How did everyone first get introduced to AG?

Inactive Member christhedolllady's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My first real office job fresh out of secretarial school was for a couple who bought AG for their daughter. I saw a catalogue and fell in love with Samantha but it was YEARS before I finally gave in. When AGPC opened up I went to pick out my birthday present (yes, I'm a grown woman). I ended up with AGOT brown hair and brown eyes and a bunch of outfits.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It was 2002 and Cathy (cathy66) at work came and asked me if I had heard of American girl. I thought she was talking about Our Generation at Target. She had been recieving the catalogs for years and was going to order Kaya for her daughter.

After a brief trip on-line. I fell in love and within months had ordered Rachel Kit for Christmas. It took a while longer before I got myself a doll. Now it is just never ending.......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe sometime after Nicole was born(1994) we started getting the catalogs in the mail(not sure how, prob. got put on a mailing list somehow). Well, I always enjoyed looking at them and sometimes would show my husband, but I never bought anything. I loved the table displays with the dolls birthdays etc.I marveled at all the detailed little accesories and beautifuls dolls, but thought they were expensive. Several years later a friend of mine was talking about her train trips to Chicago(we both went to Chicago many times) and how her and her Mom had visited the American Girl store and how great it was.Her daughter had also recieved an old pm Kirsten from a lady at their church.So that was our first time seeing a doll in person.We were instantly in love after seeing Kirsten and some of the clothing and started to keep our catalogs and then we bought our first doll Felicity off Ebay and we have never stopped since. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Janie3082

Back around '91, one of my aunts gave my sister and me a Pleasant Company catalog. She had 3 boys, so she had no idea how she had gotten the catalog! My sister and I must have looked at it a lot, but I don't have it anymore.

I know that shortly after that we got the books from the library. At that time, there was only Kirsten, Samantha and Molly. I remember sending in one of the postcards from the back of a book so that we could get the catalog at home.

Our first one we got was for Spring 1992. Amazingly, I do have this one and a few others that we got along the way. At one point we had so many that our mom told us we needed to get rid of some of them, so my sister and I tore all the covers off of the ones we had to throw out. I do still have those; I guess the actual catalog was very similar, like they are now. So I have a lot of covers and several actual catalogs.

By the time we got our first catalog at home, they had introduced Felicity. We read all the books, probably a few times before we got the dolls. I had loved Kirsten from the beginning because at that time I loved reading the Little House books and watching the show on tv. To me, Kirsten was the most beautiful, so I got her for Christmas in 1993. My sister got Felicity for Christmas in '95.

monimarine

My aunt bought my cousin Molly for Christmas 2002. DD and Cousin are the same age, so when DD saw Molly, she wanted a doll too. I got online and requested a catalog, and it was all down hill from there!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234