Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will American Girl hold its value?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it might be that way with most collectables. Sometimes you can sell it for a good amount and other times it's not as valuable. On Antiques Roadshow they've mentioned several times about that kind of thing. It all depends on what is "in". So there may be times when AG or certain AG items aren't as sought after/ valuable, but then later on they could be the "hot" item for collectors.

And I don't think comparing them to Beanie Babies is exactly fair. The markets seem different to me. Plus with AG you not only have the doll collectors, but collectors of miniatures and maybe collectors of historical things (for the older AGC items) and other collector groups may find certain things they'd want (in the future of course, I still think it's kinda too soon to really consider AG a collector's item even though I know some people do collect them)... I don't think Beanie Babies have quite the same potential for appeal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I totally agree with what Judi said. The historical items of higher quality will keep their value. As long as AG strays away from the mainstream doll items, I definitely think they'll be fine. I think the books make it so the collection will have a large fanbase for years.

I think, as is true now, most of the AGT/JLY items won't go up in value, (some may even go down, when the styles aren't desirable, like some of the original items), but I really think the historical items will hold their value for quite awhile.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that AGs will hold their vaule indfinetly. I think we can all agree we don't see an end to doll collecting in sight. AGs may wax and wane in their sales, but there will *always* be doll collectors. Now you take a collection that's been running for 20+ years, with very unique accessories and clothing, I would say that it will hold it's vaule for quite a long time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will be the first to admit that I began collecting My Child dolls because I saw them double in value within a couple of weeks on ebay. I didn't even like the dolls that much but when I bought my first two dolls I fell in love with them. There was a time when long blonde haired dolls would be snapped up for $200 each.

That stopped and now the prices have evened out a bit.

What I learned from this experience is that it is best to buy what you like because in the end, if it does lose it's value monywise, it will still hold dear to your heart and be valuable to you personally.

I personally don't plan to play with my dolls but rather display them or even let my daughter play with them, but I get so much enjoyment just form looking at them (something my husband will never understand).

But yes, you are right, sometimes it is comforting to know that your collection is valuable in a money sense and that if the times comes you can sell something to pay for something else. It is however, best not to sell when you are desperate as you may have to sell for less than you believe the item is worth.

Juliette

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I doubt AG will crash like Beanie Babies; the items that are selling for many times what they're worth are all retired. But prices could deflate, and I'm sure will continue to fluctuate. I believe a lot fewer of most AG things were made than most Beanie Babies, and many of them are either breakable, or have pieces that can be lost. So complete older sets will still probably continue to be worth more than list price.

(While I hope for the sake of many collectors here that there is no "price crash", I have to admit I myself wouldn't be crushed by any means. I don't plan to sell the little I have anyway, and if prices deflated drastically, I would be able to buy stuff that I wanted!)

Are there any other doll markets (besides Barbies) that anyone follows? How have their values changed over the years? That would be a better comparison than Beanie Babies, IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12