Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've just looked at six of our AG dolls and they're all Pleasant Company. I was surprised when I read Mrs. C's post comparing the Emilies. There are TWO doll manufacturers? (Maybe I missed a detailed thread on this before? My apologies if so. [img]frown.gif[/img] ) I remember learning through these threads about Mattel purchasing AG back in 1999(?)Is Pleasant Company going to retire?

Thank you for any info anyone's able to provide. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Priscilla

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I made a board before you a few mins ago about this,I'm still waiting for replies.

-Caitlin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, Same company, but when Mattel bought AG in 1998, several changes were made. They tried to keep the prices the same, so had to cut costs somewhere, and some people feel that the quality has lessened with the changing of hands. Consequently, collectors tend to prefer anything tagged Pleasant Company. Not every tag was changed immediately, and they are just getting around to changing the stamp on the back of the dolls' necks. I always laugh when I see a Kit doll listed on Ebay as Pre-Mattel...she was released in 2000, nothing of hers is PM, although, I have seen her Meet sweater with a PC tag. Just goes to show they use what they have laying around until it's gone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pleasant Company was what AG was originally called.

There are differences between the dolls, but Mattel dolls aren't really all bad and Pleasant Company dolls aren't really all good. It's a personal preference. Typically, dolls made before 2000 have thicker bodies, softer vinyl, less facepaint, and brown eyelashes, while dolls made during or after 2000 are thinner, have harder vinyl, more facepaint and black eyelashes.

It really depends on what you like best as to which is "better".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While Pleasant had the company they changed vendors, but no one paid as much attention. It's about keeping the price down. Obviously the items made while Pleasant owned the company are limited to what was produced at that time - and are becoming more limited.

I think people trying to sell the earlier dolls for more money are making a bigger deal out of it than need be.

Things changed since the beginning.

I have Molly's lunch that I bought when the company was new and the foods were handmade - you can see people's fingerprints on them. Obviously with the size the company is now they can no longer do that.

I don't think the quality has gone down - it's just different. I think the company will take some shortcuts to save money, otherwise the dolls would continue to go up in price. I think people think they are expensive enough now.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Although Pleasant Company became American Girl when it was purchased by Mattel in 1998, they have only recently begun using head molds that say "American Girl" on the back of the neck instead of "Pleasant Co."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you! (I never paid any attention to the necks until Mrs. C's post, but will check each new one now. Makes it that more 'interesting.')

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Can you have a JLY no. 22 PC or does that doll need to be a AG since it just came out last year? Just wondering.. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

thepidget

Originally posted by starling:
    Can you have a JLY no. 22 PC or does that doll need to be a AG since it just came out last year? Just wondering.. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think it's possible that a #22 it could be PC. Emily came out just this year, and some of the Emily dolls are stamped PC. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Personally, I prefer dolls that are stamped PC on their necks, but it's mostly for sentimental reasons. (I first got into AG as a child, while it was still called Pleasant Company.)

emsmombuysdolls

I just wanted to add (I hope I am correct) that the dolls are made from more than one factory. So between the two factories and poor quality control you can have many differences among the same doll. Last week we were discussing the two different Jess dolls.