Thread: Been awhile, sad news, and a gifted doll project?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Was my last post really in MAY? I can't believe it! There have been a lot of factors that have kept me away, some great and exciting, and some not so great, but that's all for another post.

What brings me here tonight is one very special little AG lover named Christi and her just-as-special sister Shayla. I've posted about Christi before--I've had the opportunity to get to "know" her through her family's website, and I have continually been amazed by this wonderful family and how they have responded after being dealt the most crushing of blows--Christi's diagnosis at age five with Neuroblastoma, a rare and extremely aggressive childhood cancer.

I think what really impressed me about the "Thomas Team," as they called themselves, was that they were a team in every sense of the word. Christi's parents searched the world over for a cure for her, and when it became apparent that a cure would not be found, focused on making memories with their daughter and giving her the quality of life that she deserved.

Christi gained her Angel wings yesterday morning, eight days after the four-year anniversary of her diagnosis. After defying the odds again and again, she is finally pain and cancer free. Christi lived her life on her terms, fighting, like her mom said, "with the grace of a ballerina and the courage of a prizefighter."

I always thought of Christi as "my" hero--I had no idea how many lives she'd really touched. The fact that the "Christi Thomas Memorial Fund" has received over $18,000 dollars in contributions since it was announced just over 24 hours ago was my first real indication.

Anyway, my real reason for posting is Shayla, the littlest Thomas Team member. Shayla absolutely idolized and adored her big sister. Shayla was only three when Christi was diagnosed, so this "cancer world" could very well be the only one she remembers.

Anyway, and I'm getting to the point here, I promise, is that I was planning on sending a little something to Shayla, and wondered if anyone else might like to do the same. Shayla has Kit and Christi had Felicity and Jess. That's all I know about--they might have others. I know that there are other gift projects taking place on the board right now, and I don't want to take away from those at all. Also, the last thing I want is for anyone to feel badly if they are not able to send anything--I'm sure Christi's family would appreciate just being kept in your thoughts and prayers. But with the funeral, etc. coming up this weekend, I thought it was important for Shayla to feel remembered. This doesn't even have to be a "gifted doll" project. I'm completely willing to coordinate that, or I could PM anyone who's interested the link to Christi's website, which has their P.O. box on it. I'd post the link here, but the blog has been just heartbreaking over the past few weeks, and it might be more than parents would want their kids to stumble into on a doll board. I'd encourage anyone who's interested to check out the site though, because I can't even begin to do Christi's story justice. (Although I realize I am sounding more and more like a journalist here, which is good, 'cause that's what I went to college to be!) [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just moved (one of the great and exciting changes in my life that I mentioned before) and my Internet is spotty, so please understand if you PM me and I don't answer right away. I can't access the board from work, but I'm adding my e-mail address to my profile, so you can try e-mailing me from here.

That's it--I apologize for the long post and the even longer absence from the board. I'll try to be more active over the next few weeks...I see *a lot* of new names that I need to become acquainted with!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I remember the story from your posts last spring. It saddens me to hear the latest news. I will keep the family in my thoughts and prayers. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Polly Marie

Same here. My prayers are with the family and the girls. Thanks for the up-date.