Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AG dolls are NOT toys to be played with , they are collectables to be displayed More

Polly Marie

horsemom wrote: "I think perhaps your MIL needs to find the little girl inside herself and let her loose... give herself the things she didn't have and let herself play with them!"

Oh! How I wish my now deceased MIL would have done this in her lifetime. But sadly enough, she never did. [img]graemlins/wilted.gif[/img]
    She died still the quite proper dignified woman. I wished often that she would let herself enjoy life and not always try to be proper.
    Jaen, I hope your MIL changes, but only time will tell. [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it's all about how you take care of them. I see parents getting their children who are 4 and 5 these dolls and their hair is all ratted and such and I think Oh my goodness what were they thinking buying such an expensive doll!? But then again it's not my money and they can do what they want with it.

This is a very touchy topic I have noticed over the years. My idea is once you buy the doll it's yours and you can do what you want with it. If you believe they should be a collectable and sit in the box or on a shelf and never touched that's fine. And if you want to buy it for a child and have them play with it that's fine. It's whatever makes YOU happy. There is no right or wrong answer.

Parent's know their children. It seems like you feel your child is ready for an ag doll. You know how she has taken care of her things. If she takes care of her toys then you know the doll will stay nice if she doesn't well then you also know how it will end up. So I would tell MIL that you have noticed that she has taken care of her toys (if this is true) and is ready for a high quality doll and that you want her to learn from these dolls through play.

I got my first doll at 9 and I always took really good care or my toys and the doll is still in great shape. Now I don't really 'play' with my dolls but I do change their clothes and I like putting them in different scences. This is what makes me happy and enjoy the dolls.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 25, 2006 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Molly92 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]smile.gif[/img] Maybe you should connect your MIL up with AG Customer Service--I hear that they insist that AG dolls are toys made for children to play with, and NOT collector's items! [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by NH_Mom_of_2_girls:
    Anyhow, she does not know about the trip and I probably won't mention it unless is comes up. Every time I do hint that Lauren wants an AG I get the same lecture as my thread title "they are collectors items, not toys!!!!" I just have to ignore her, she is a little clucking hen who just does not understand. I will just have to come here for my enabling!!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I really think you've made the right decision. I think we ask for trouble when we try to change people to fit our ideal of what we want them to be, when they clearly aren't that person and don't want to be. Your m-in-l is not just expressing a whim about AG; her attitude is one born of a lifetime of experience, including formative early trauma. Plus, she's clearly indicated that she's not open to changing. I say enjoy AG with DD and your mother (and all of us!) and find other common ground with m-in-l so DD will have different memories to treasure with her.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 25, 2006 03:10 PM: Message edited by: EleanorofAquitane ]</font>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123