Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Has anybody ever tried to make a marching band uniform for their dolls? I'd kind of like to make some that either match my school's uniform or the SC uniform (Fight on!).

How do you think I should do bibbers? Actually make bibbers, or just elastic waist pants? I would probably just make the jacket velcro in the back like everything else, because the weird zipper in the front would be too awkward/difficult. What about shakos? And plumes?

Anybody tried this before/have tips?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've never designed clothing before, but I've thought about it some. The only trick with zippers length. I think I've got enough pattern pieces to come up with something (after the wedding quilt I'm finishing for one of my friends.) My prefered colors would be orange and black (Go Bears!) from Ohio Northern University. but the idea would be similar.

Then I just have to get the trumpet. hmmmm...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OG used to make a marching band outfit, and I have the top on Lissie right now. I don't know how you'd go about making one, though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OG?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Pnut Butter:
    OG?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Our Generation. It's the Target brand of doll clothes.

Here's a picture of the top; it also came with a hat and pants.
    12Pagetwelve

Had an idea for pants. Our pants are just black pants with stripes down the sides, so I'd just make elastic pants in the color yours are and then hot-glue ribbon on the sides. For the plumes I would also just hot-glue feathers to the top of the hat. For the jacket, it depents on how yours is, but you might be able to embellish it with beads or ribbon decorations. I'd just velcro it in the back too. Our shoes have spats, which are white things that cover the feet, so I'd just do that and put them over any pair of shoes.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 24, 2006 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Kit, Kat, and Friends ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it'd be easy enough to make your marching band uniform.

For the bibbers: make a regular pair of trousers, but stitch on the bib part so that it ties around the neck (or, I'd make a halter tie with snaps, so that it didn't tangle with the neck ties). I think that if you did this, you could make the bib part look cool, maybe unauthentic though, so it could be worn as a separate outfit.

For the jacket: SNAPS. I love snaps and buttons. But you can use snaps to have it close in the front, and then it'll be slightly more authentic.

For the hat majigger: whatever it's called [img]wink.gif[/img] - use a piece of stiff felt and stitch it into the shape you want. Then cover it with the appropriate fabric to match the uniform, so that there isn't a hole in the top. You could also use the hot glue gun, I think. The chin strap, if you want one, could attach with snaps, which I think would work better if you put them on the fabric covering than the felt part. Plus, if you do it this way, you can change out the color for different uniforms!

For the plume: art supply stores probably have quill pens. Maybe craft supply stores. If it's inexpensive enough, you can snip it to the proper length and remove the feathery bits as necessary. Usually, they're already colored. If not, you can put it into food dye (or Kool-Aid [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) or spray-paint it. Then, if there is a little loop or two on the front of the hat bit, slip it in! You can remove it for safe storage, or change it out for different uniforms.

Honestly, I'm thinking of the Florida Marching Sunshine Band when I think of the uniform, because they're the ones I'm most familiar with. When I went to the Gator games, only a few wore the tall hats, but most had smaller ones with orange and blue sequins rather than plumes, and the girls usually had two braids with orange and blue bobbles on the end.

(Also, this reminds me: Bean_Bunny! You're at UK, right? Are you a football fan? I kept thinking of you last night when my family and I were watching the UK/UF game - usually my parents go down to Gainesville, but they'd just got back from a weeklong trip to Disney in the morning, and gave the tickets to my little brother and dad instead.)

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

there's some good pictures of our uniforms here:
    http://miracostaband.com/photoshtf.html

however, we're (hopefully) getting new uniforms next year that will be dark green jackets and black pants.

What I'll probably do is make one of the USC uniform (my bro can send me detailed pictures of his), and wait until I have a definite picture of next year's uniform.

Thanks for all the tips (especially about the shako)!