Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey all, I'm 21 years-old and recently got my first AG doll. It's the Just Like You doll (light brown hair with highlights, freckles, blue eyes). I loved the books when I was younger and my mom never got me any dolls. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img] I love looking at the dolls and outfits on the Web site and I feel like I could get addicted! [img]tongue.gif[/img] I feel kind of silly because I don't think many people understand the fascination with this type of collecting after one is past the age of 12! Have any of you felt that way?

Anyway, I'm sick of the outfit she came in (the fuchsia jacket and jeans) and she could use a friend... [img]tongue.gif[/img] How did you all start your collections?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and: Do you mostly buy things from the Web site/catalogue/store, or look on eBay, etc.?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board!! I like your enthusiasm and hope you enjoy it here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We started our collection when a coworker brought a catalog in to work. I was 16 when AG first came out and out of the target range so I had never heard of them. I bought my 2 girls their bitty babies and soon after Samantha and Kaya. I discovered this board and I've been hooked since. I buy PM dolls off ebay and if I'm looking for a new doll or item I usually use a coupon code to buy from AG.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

OH WOW!! Are you in the right place!!

We all started somewhere, and now here we are.

I buy things from the AG Shop, ebay and also from my friends here on the board. The women here are the best people to buy from. They are fair with prices, tell you the condition of an item accurately and can answer any question that you have--just ask! No questions are stupid!!

I have greatly increased our collection since joining this group. Beware of a quickly growing collection, but just remember there is always someone with more than you have --

Welcome and enjoy!

Felicity_Fan85

Welcome to the board! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

You've definitely come to the right place as there are a lot of adults on this board. I'm going to be 21 at the end of December. I got into AG by reading a couple of the books and looking at the catalogs almost every day. In 1997 (when I was right at the end of their target age) i bought Felicity with my Chrismtas and birthday money. Well, I didn't play with her too much since she was the most expensive thing I owned. As the years went buy I didn't buy anything for her and I wouldn't admit I still love AG so I kind of started to grow out of it a little. However, as soon as I heard about Felicity's movie, I googled AG and found this board. They helped to rekindle my love for AG and now I have 4 lovely 18" AGs and a bitty baby!

I usually buy from the website but sometimes I buy from ebay if I'm looking for something retired.

I think you should your doll a friend! You'd both enjoy it! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome!

One day I discovered American Girl, read each catalogue with glee,
    And then I bought some dolls, until they numbered three.

The first one was a Marisol, I renamed her Piper,
    I paid dearly for my Lindsey (and some would love to swipe her!)

Samantha was the next, whose curls I do adore,
    But I?m a woman, not a girl, why should I buy more?

But then one day I googled ?dolls,? and much to my delight,
    I found an online family, a place I fit just right!

I felt so proud, I had three dolls, I was so elated!
    But when I saw the other?s pics, my ego was deflated.

Dolls lined up, all in rows, some had ten or more!
    My three seemed insignificant, should I buy number four?

?Of course!? they said, ?Go for it!? They pushed buttons left and right.
    Then the brown truck left me Mia, the #4 I now hold tight!

After that it gets quite blurry, a new one here or there,
    There?s only one place that I blame, I don?t have to tell you where!

Now I have ten dollies, accessories galore,
    Oh then there?s shoes, a hundred pairs or more!

And though I now have doll things too numerous to count,
    I?m sad I can?t buy any more, I?ve emptied my bank account!

So let this be a lesson, hold on to your purse!
    Or you might be a victim, of the Hostboard curse!

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] ~Dee [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome Sparklyy!

First of all, you're at the right place! We spend much time here discussing our AG addictions.

Second, if it's any comfort to you, I just turned 49 and received an American Girl for my birthday. (My parents gave me $$, and I ordered the one I'd had my eyes on for a long time.)

Doll collecting, in general, has gained momentum as an adult hobby. You might have SOME people who seem surprised that you'd enjoy dolls, but, if you were to visit any AGP you'd find quite a few your age and OLDER. Just thumb through any womens' magazines and you'll find ads for 'limited edition' Ashton Drake dolls. I'd venture to say that Lee Middleton dolls have more adult, than child collectors. You might have already noticed there are many adult AG fans on these boards as well.

Anyway, hope you have lots of fun here. We're sometimes bad for one another, LOL. (We encourage each other too much to add to our collections.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi: I was around 37 yrs old when I started collecting AG. I was fascinated with the detail. I started out buying Molly's school bag and I've been hooked ever since. I didn't want to start out too big, just in case it wasn't all I hoped it would be. I then went to her school jumper - and then the doll. That was back in the 80s when the dolls were relatively unknown - so I had to one to ask.

I am now in the process of hanging all the JLY outfits in the new cabinet my husband fashioned for me. It's a tall white cabinet with 4 shelves - he put clothes rods in two of the spaces and cloth drawers in the other two spaces.

He made two of those cabinets for me and I am quickly filling them up. He asked today if I wanted him to buy more. Of course!!!

Have fun collecting.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The poem may have been an old one, but it's good and TRUE. I haven't seen it before, but I sure fo love it -- Good job with it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello! Ok well I actually might be one of the younger ones here, but im still too old for dolls in everyone elses point of view. Especially my moms, shes almost mad at me for liking dolls. she wants me to stop buying them. and she doesnt believe im collecting them, she thinks i only wanna be little. at least you guys are old eough to say your collecting, i have to be in that "cant let go of toys stage" But I do love dolls!

(Edited by Julie to remove age)

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 23, 2006 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast