Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The flute is nice, but I'm planning to get the trumpet for Kumi to march with from sew-dolling.com It's the right size and as we are a brass family around here, she wants to play the part.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, how did I forget about buying from somewhere else? I could actually get a clarinet, because that's what I play. Or I could make a whole band.... a few more dolls and all the sections would be covered!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It does not play (and I have a pre-Mattel one) because violins (the real instruments) are such sensitive, precise instruments it would be impossible to duplicate the sound of one in a piece so tiny... especially for a reasonable amount of money. However, the AG violin is incredibly realistic looking and very beautiful and I'd highly recommend it! It's by far my favourite AG accessory!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The violin was the first AGT accessory I got, so mine is PM...and I've had problems with it from the beginning. The bridge comes off and the chin rest is always coming off, too. The bow loses horse hair, the case is beat up, the stand always falls over...and I've always been a careful person! And no it doesn't play...which I really wouldn't expect it to since it's so tiny. The catalogue used to say it really played, though.

However, on the plus side, it is a nice prop, and the girls can easily hold it. Mine don't play often since I put my violin lessons aside though.

100 2318 edited

Felicity_Fan85

Thanks for the info and review. I'll most likely buy it in Dec. (then the guitar or flute will come later). I have a soundtrack of the Nutcracker so I think there might be violins in that in which my dolls could "practice" to it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have an OG violin, flute, and guitar. We also have the retired electric AG guitar. The OG violin doesn't play, but the guitar does a little bit... just not the right notes. The electric guitar my sister has is really fun, but you have to press the strings, not strum or pluck them, to get it to play. Personally I just use them as props. Kit plays the violin, Marie the flute, Sam the guitar and Molly the electric guitar.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, Pnut! I think I'm going to have to get the guitar now. I love the scene with Emily standing with the case open, just like street performers! So cute! My dad's guitar looks very similar to the AG one, and I think it'd be fun to set up photos with Beatrice and myself holding them - or maybe I can get my dad to "teach" Bea how to play!

... Or maybe I need to get a second doll, so that she can be our musician. Beatrice is a bug collector, you see. It's totally gross, if you ask me, but she loves creepy crawlies! Especially centipedes. EW. I don't think I'd want her touching a guitar after she plays with bugs.

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Felicity_Fan85

I think I read that the violin doesn't make sound. Has it always been this way, even in PM days or is it just Mattel? I guess it wouldn't really matter to me since I could just get a cd of violin music and have my dolls play (so it sounds like they're really playing). I'm thinking of getting this for one of my dolls for christmas (they're going to have a great Christmas this year), so i was just wondering. Is the same true for the guitar? Any reviews of both versions of the violin and of the guitar are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 24, 2006 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Felicity_Fan85 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't be sure my violin is pm, but here's my two cents about tiny musical intruments.

I'm pretty sure the reason they don't play is because the strings are so tiny, and they are designed to be played with by younger kids, so they need to not break too easily. If they were tightened, they would break easily, because they are so small. Same with the guitar.

HOWEVER I would STRONGLY recommend the guitar... if you want to see it in action, look at my latest album (I'll go put my albums in my sig right after I post this).

I liked the violin a lot when I was younger, but when I decided to stop playing violin, the girls didn't play with it as much [img]wink.gif[/img] Still, it's a very nice thing to add to a collection, so I would recommend it (but I like the guitar better).

Now I need a flute so that one of my girls can march!