Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, everyone!

I've been eyeing the Hair Care Kit on the AG Web site (I'm getting hooked by the second!). I have JLY/AGoT #23 (light freckled skin, light brown hair with highlights, blue eyes). Her hair has gorgeous, loose waves at the bottom and I'm wondering if brushing/styling her hair would contribute to her losing this natural wave. Does playing/styling the AG dolls' hair make permanent changes, or does it tend to fall back to its original style after time?

Since you all have much, much more experience than I do, and familiarity with the texture of the hair, I figured you'd be able to help!

Thanks!
    Erin

PS: What's a Downy Dunk? I have so much to learn... can't wait!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 24, 2006 05:52 PM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font>

Inactive Member aero_AGdoll_lover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A downy dunk is when you soak your dolls hair in Downy fabric softener to make it smooth and soft. (this is typically done if your dolls hair is in really bad condition.) I wouldnt recomend doing it on a dolls hair if her hair isnt tangled or wiery or matted. I dont know what it would do, but if your doll DOES have really bad hair, this works WONDERS!!!!! I did it to my Kirstens hair when hers was all icky and matted from all the dust and stuff in my room. It was pretty bad. After I did the downy dunk, it was soft and fluffy and easy to handle! it was a miracle!! lol. I have heard that steaming makes the dolls hair really streight. But I dont have one otherwise I woulda tried it. lol. I hope this uuuh, helps answer your question! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In my experiance, the dolls' hair is quite good a retaining it's original volume through lots of brushing and styling. Just make sure that you use a wire wig brush (like the one AG sells) to brush out her hair, and don't let her use any of your hair things either. The oils on human hairbrushes and hair accessories are VERY damaging to dolly hair. It also helps if you liberally spritz her hair with water before brushing and styling. ^_~

Also, if she does lose a bit of that pretty body wave, it's fairly easy to restore. =) Just put the ends in curlers and pour hot water over them, and those curly ends should pop right back into place. I hope that helps!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, I found a wire wig brush for $3 at Sally's Beauty Supply, and one of the ladies in the craft area at Wal-Mart says she swears by baby brushes (you know, those really soft ones) for her nylon-wig porcelain dolls, to smooth (though I don't trust them).

And I've found that the little girl sized hair doodads are perfect for the dolls, if you want to make sure your hair oils don't get on her hair. I bought a lot of little clips and ties, and they're set aside especially for Beatrice, not for me!

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I heard that at the AGP stores, the stylists use a toothbrush to smooth down stray hairs. So, the nylon baby brushes would probably work for that as well. I don't think they'd work well for actually brushing through doll hair to style it or untangle it, though. (Porcelain dolls generally don't get their hair re-styled, just smoothed down. Those dolls almost never get played with the same way our AGs do!)

horselvr2

No, she will not loose her wavy-curly-ish hair, b/c the wig has "memory". (sorry if this was posted already...)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have no idea if brushing will un-wave your doll's hair over time. I *doubt it*, but I'd hate to be wrong.

As for the AG hair kit, save your money. Go to Krogers, buy a dog brush (with metal bristles!) and a squirt bottle. It's cheaper and nicer than the AG one.