Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"A thought: Why don't we start a thread here about gifts that can be made or are inexpensive? I'd love to hear some more ideas!" from Mareunwritten in another thread.
    I would love to hear these ideas too. So please post away [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This isn't my idea but I remember Oprah talking about how much more personal homemade type gifts were and she said that Stedman has his won special recipe for Spagetti sauce and that he makes it every year and gives out jars of it at Christmas to their friends.
    I usually make the traditional fudge and cookies that we deliver on Christmas eve to the neighbors but my husband has a "secret" recipe for Apple Chutney (Whatever that is) that he might make this year instead.

One year I made boxers for all the boys in my family and bought terry cloth robes and decorated them with towel fabric in different shapes for the girls.

I can't wait to hear what others have done or have to suggest. Great thread!!

Kristin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom makes baskets of cookies for family and friends. Last year's basket was all different sizes and shapes of snowflakes, decorated with white icing and glittery sugar. I think she included cellophane cones of Hot Chocolate mix too.

We give out trays of homemade cookies, wrapped in clear plastic wrap and tied with ribbons.

One year I made sets of placemats with matching napkin rings. A couple years I've made different decorative pillows.

Kristin, what a fun idea to make boxers and robes. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love to make homemade gifts for my family....but only certain members, who appreciate the effort and the finished product. Sadly, there are those in mine and DH's family who just don't get it, like I did something "on the cheap" or something, which generally making anything by hand does not save you money at all and typically costs more, let alone your labor cost.

I've made afghans for each of my brothers and mom, I've needlepointed and cross stitched pictures for my mom, my MIL still carries a cross stitched book mark that I made for her almost 10 years ago. Each year, I usually make matching holiday jammies for DH, myself and Diana, corny, I know! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I made a gorgeous black burned-out velvet reversible vest that can be worn several ways for my SIL. Never seen it on her or ever discussed again. Get it? Same with a knit scarf for my niece.

Last year I made stamped calendars with pix for each month for the grandmas. They took a lot longer to do than I imagined, and I ended up finishing both on Christmas morning!

Laurie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yea!! We just started and I have ideas already [img]smile.gif[/img] Love the matching pj's, boxers, and placemat ideas. Thanks everyone and keep them coming!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Right after I got to my first duty station, we were short on money (due to moving, my DH at the time still looking for a job, and me not making a lot of money) I decided to make poppuri jars fro some of our Secret Santa gifts. They were such a big hit with the recipients and all it took was a jar each, a bag of poppuri to split between 2 jars, ribbon, and maybe a doiley. Under $5 for each one, and very easy to make.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We make Rich's family a gingerbread house. It is a combined effort for us. I do the baking, he does the patterning and the structure of the house...then we both do the decorating.

It is a nice way to work together on a project.

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm loving the ideas so far!

Not exactly homemade, but I like to do gift baskets with a theme.

A couple of years ago I did "Breakfast on Christmas Morning" gift baskets for Sunday School teachers and they seemed to really appreciate them. In the basket I put: a box of pancake mix, maple syrup, hot cocoa, marshmallows, a red silicone spatula from Bed, Bath and Beyond, holiday themed plates and napkins (from Dollar Tree) and a Williams Sonoma or Crate and Barrel Holiday shaped pancake mold. I bought the food items using coupons so the cost was very minimal and it all looked pretty in a basket with a holiday printed basket bag to cover it.

On another year, we sent family and close friends a mixed CD of our favorite Christmas songs. We started listening to Christmas music in October and each of us picked our favorites from my HUGE collection of Christmas CDs. I think we ended up with 20 songs on the CD and each one was really special. DS had just lost his front teeth so we included "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" and DD loved to dance around the house with a bell singing "Christmas Times a Coming." It was a big hit and I've had many family members ask if we planned to do another. The CD Label was a picture of DS and DD on Santa's knee and the title..."A (our last name) Christmas 2003." I bought red and green paper CD holders for the CD's and sent them out in our Christmas cards.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These are inexpensive, beautiful, smell wonderful, and are easy enough for kids to make. They're also best enjoyed throughout the season so they're fun to give at Thanksgiving (hand out as people are leaving) or early in December. And best of all, it's a gift that keeps on giving. Every year, just refill with with fresh potpourri.

When I have made them I forego the glue gun. Instead, I get a pretty thin ribbon (velvety kind) and weave it through the doily and then tie around the lip of the jar. If you glue the doily to the jar you can't refill the potpourri year after year.

Lighted Holiday Potpourri Jars

Love the clipboard idea, Laurie!!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 26, 2006 10:27 AM: Message edited by: busybusybusy ]</font>

Felicity_Fan85

I've made little paintings and crafts-like yearn dolls. Also, I think those "recipe in a jar" things are good.

Though not homemade, one year my brother and I just exchanged things we each had that we thought the other would want.

ETA: I've made ornaments too-one time, though for my own tree, I made a Christmas ornament out of some lego bricks.

I have Christmas songs recorded onto two cassette tapes and I would love to be able to put them on my computer and on a cd. Most of them are songs that I just can't find on cd and I love them. The editing is bad but that doesn't bother me-it's got a lot of the songs I love!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 26, 2006 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Felicity_Fan85 ]</font>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast