Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all --

Less than a week on the board, and already I'm thinking that one doll isn't enough. You were right when you said you were enablers! [img]tongue.gif[/img] I have #23 now, and I was thinking about #7 (light skin, light brown hair with bangs, blue eyes). Does anyone have her (and have photos to post)? She's the one I always wanted when I was little (this was before #23 came out, who looks a bit more like I do!). I feel like I could be satisfied with a total of two dolls (I just heard you all laugh at me, hah!).

Also, I need some advice. If I do start collecting more AG items, I'm wondering how I should break it to my family. If anyone remembers from my first post on the board, I exhibited hesitation to the whole craze because my family can be a bit judgmental. My dad would criticize me for spending so much money on "a doll," and my mom would also be skeptical, thinking that it's frivolous for me to be in my 20's and want to buy dolls. Do I say something ahead of time or wait until I buy something...? I need some lines to feed them to help them understand that they're collectors' items and I shouldn't be embarrassed...

Thanks,
    Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think this is the doll you're thinking of....light skin, light brown hair, blue eyes. #7.
    It's also the one that looks the most like my GD, so it's going to be a Christmas gift.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0609260001.jpg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome Erin...If you ever want to feel sane about your AG collecting, just hang out here for awhile! I've become an avid AG collector now that I'm into my 40's and my family and friends know of my passion and any comments I get are in a humorous and good-natured way. I don't mind being known as AG crazy, there's alot worse out there in the world I could be spending my money on. There is definitely the collector aspect to them as well as the great quality and joy they bring us. The commraderie among those here on the board brings some sunshine into my world every day too. In a crazy stressed world, the ones that have their little outlet (and especially those who LIVE close to that little special outlet [img]wink.gif[/img] ) will likely enjoy a fuller and more happy life.

How's that for a debate to any non-doll people out there?? Anyway, here are some photos of the two #7 I have had. The first is Pre-Mattel and the second is Mattel. They are very pretty dolls. Hope that helps (and you may as well start thinking of doll number three!)

DSCN3040

DSCN0471

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Traveling Ann (formerly Ruthie) is a PM AGT #7. I have some pics of here in the Welcoming Anya album, Traveling Anya's items, Anya (Incomplete) Adventures Album, and at the end of My Doll Clothing Album

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 26, 2006 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Gomunk ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awww, #7 and #23 would make PERFECT sisters! How sweet. I know how you feel, my hubby and kids are the only ones who "get" my dollys too.

thepidget

I hope your family won't make you feel bad about collecting AG's. If AG's are important to you and if you can spend responsibly on them, then I think this is a fine hobby to have.

Personally, it's been a little hard for me to break the news about my doll collecting to my friends. I'm in my early twenties, so yeah, I'm way out of the AG target range, LOL. My friends are very nice about my hobby, but I still get the weird smiles every now and then. But at least they are trying to understand.

I guess in my head, AG collecting seems totally normal, but then I realize that this isn't a common pursuit among most twentysomethings. But my dolls make me very happy, so in the end, that's all that really matters. [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Use the words "investing in the collections". Explain to them that you can get your money back, or more, somday. Maybe that will help to other adults. My family didn't take me too seriously last year, but they bought me things all year. I am 60, and have just been collection for about 15 months. I do have two grandchildren for excuses, but they are really for me.

Brenda

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

#7 and #23 look very much alike as far as hair and eye colour. But the freckles add a cute look to #23 and the hair styles and length are quite different. If you are looking to have unique dolls I would say they are too similar. In pictures/displays their colouring will be almost the same. BUT (!!) if this is THE doll you wanted since you were little then nothing else will do. I'm pretty sure of that. You'll probably always want her in the back of your mind even if you get another doll instead. So I would get her (and get it over with.) And soon enough you'll need another doll with a different hair or eye or skin colour or a different face mold to add variety to your collection [img]smile.gif[/img]

As to what you can say to your family. My experience is if they don't understand there is nothing you can say/do to make them understand. They will just think you are wierd and something is really wrong with you. So I wouldn't tell them. They can give you money for gifts or something else you need and you'll just have to buy yourself anything you want.

Or you can say you need them to help write a novel/movie that they are the main characters in.... or.... they have been recommended as help to work through some issues and as such cost WAY less than a therapist... or .... you need them as props for the jewellery or fashions or something that you are creating... or ... you need them to take babysitting or entertain friend's children .... or ... they are a style of interior decorating (much cheaper than some art) ... or ... they are instead of having kids right now (how expensive is a real baby!!)... or ... you could say you like them SO THERE and its none of their business!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Even so they will think you are wierd so you may as well save your breath. You know at some level why you want/need them and that is good enough. They cost no more than some people's shoes or purses or jeans or a fancy dinner out - and do they need to justify/explain that? Probably not.
    If you can afford them and are managing to pay for whatever you should be paying for in life then it really is all up to you.

Oh my, I must be in need of a good venting. Sorry!! [img]redface.gif[/img] Good luck!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's one of my old posts from last May, regarding how to explain the "AG attraction" to one's family---

HA! Tell him that 10 dolls is what we call a good start!

Actually, when I got up to 8 dolls is when my DH started to get uneasy, and asked me how many AG dolls I "needed".

"All of them", I said.

Well, below is what I told another board member in reply to her post last September, on how could she explain the appeal of AG to her DH--

quote:
    Just tell him "If I have to explain it to you, you'd never understand."

Actually, you can explain how you really feel a connection to the deep-down wholesomeness and the message of one's American heritage that is tied in to this line of historically accurate, heirloom-quality dolls.

(Wow, maybe I should get a job with AG's PR department!) Good luck trying to explain the unexplainable to your DH!

(Mine just thinks I've gone barking mad, and smiles tolerantly, but condescendingly)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I left in more than I should have, for my own amusement, but this is the important part--

Actually, you can explain how you really feel a connection to the deep-down wholesomeness and the message of one's American heritage that is tied in to this line of historically accurate, heirloom-quality dolls.

You might also try explaining that while AG items seem to be high-priced, remember that you're not only investing in your heritage, but also in your future--these items are made to last, and you should be able to pass them down to your children someday. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the great advice, guys.

I want to order something shortly and I'll probably have it shipped to my apartment at college rather than my house. I'd rather my roommates know about it! [img]tongue.gif[/img] I think that eventually I'll start a little display in my room at home and say, "I think that they are a great, fun thing to collect, and would love to pass them down to my children one day." I can just see my mom raising her eyebrows, oy! Haha...

Oh, and Nicole J: Great point re: #7 and #23 looking alike. I really like the dolls that look similar to me, though. Oh, and like you said, it's the one I wanted since probably 1993! I feel like I owe it to myself, hahaha! Yeah, yeah, then I'm sure I'll want doll number three!

Erin

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 27, 2006 01:04 AM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast