Thread: Contemplating the unthinkable--exchanging Jess!

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi!

Please, please do give me your opinions as I am contemplating the unthinkable--exchanging Jess for either Nellie, #24, #28 or Elizabeth!

As many of you may have read previously, I've been "on the fence" about Jess for many months now. Today I called AG CS and asked them if I could exchange Jess, despite the fact that I've gotten her out of the box, taken her hair out of the braids and undressed/redressed her several times. I fully expected them to say that I couldn't exchange her as she is now gently played with, but the CS lady I spoke with said I could definitely send her back.

I've tried just about everything to bond with Jess--dressing her in all the outfits we've got, playing with her hair etc. and as of yet I still just don't care for her. I spoke with my DD today about Jess and she isn't particularly drawn to her either. DD is enraptured with Kit right now and actually took her nap/quiet time with Kit today, which was pretty sweet!

As far as collections go, I've decided I will NOT be crushed if we don't have every LE doll. There's no way to really get Kailey or Lindsay anyway at this point ebay is just too expensive and I'd rather put the $$$ towards other AG items.

Am I crazy to exchange Jess? Just so you know, I've never exchanged a doll like this before--all of my Madames that I've ever gotten, I've kept, largely for sentimental reasons. But, as I look at the MA's on display in our living room, I can't help but think about the fact that all they do is sit there, whereas the AG's have already taken road trips and had tons of fun. I'd hate Jess to wind up in the "sit there" category, since she should be having adventures.

Please give me your opinions! Also, if I do exchange her, any votes on Nellie, #24, #28 or Elizabeth as her replacement?

Help!

Katie

Felicity_Fan85

I may be in the minority-not sure- but I don't think you're crazy for wanting to exchange her. I think she might get kind of lonesome if she just sat with the other dolls that just sit. I don't really like to see dolls just sit around (unless of course it can't be helped like my dolls at home-though my mom is making sure they're played with and loved). Maybe Jess will go to the MCM next year?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awww Katie......so sorry you haven't bonded with Jess. I have her and think she is such a cutie.

The first thing I thought of when you said you wanted to send her back was, "No, hold onto her for a few more months and then sell her on Ebay". You will make a little money and can then buy Nellie or Elizabeth and an outfit.

We have Elizabeth. My daughter wanted her since she already had Felicity. I think she is a beautiful doll but almost too beautiful. I guess I like the "cute" dolls better.....like Kit and Nellie! Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will get tons of advice!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Honestly, I can understand your troubles perfectly! I have had this happen to me a couple of times before! First, I had the wrong Bitty...exchanged her for another and LOVED the new one! Then I had Felicity...couldn't bond...tried hard....still couldn't bond...exchanged her for Emily...TOTALLY bonded with Emily! I have found that it is NOT worth it if you can't bond with a doll....just exchange (or follow agmama's advice and re-sell later). Otherwise you end up missing out on having a doll that you completely bond with. The thing is, it's near impossible to tell if you can bond with a doll just by looking at her picture online or in a catalogue. Sometimes you just don't know until you have her in your home. Don't feel bad! It happens to many people!

And look at it this way...if you return her, some little girl will likely grab her up at next year's MCM sale and be SOOOO glad you did! [img]smile.gif[/img]

horselvr2

Originally posted by happyAGmommykatie:
    Hi!

Please, please do give me your opinions as I am contemplating the unthinkable--exchanging Jess for either Nellie, #24, #28 or Elizabeth!

As many of you may have read previously, I've been "on the fence" about Jess for many months now. Today I called AG CS and asked them if I could exchange Jess, despite the fact that I've gotten her out of the box, taken her hair out of the braids and undressed/redressed her several times. I fully expected them to say that I couldn't exchange her as she is now gently played with, but the CS lady I spoke with said I could definitely send her back.

I've tried just about everything to bond with Jess--dressing her in all the outfits we've got, playing with her hair etc. and as of yet I still just don't care for her. I spoke with my DD today about Jess and she isn't particularly drawn to her either. DD is enraptured with Kit right now and actually took her nap/quiet time with Kit today, which was pretty sweet!

As far as collections go, I've decided I will NOT be crushed if we don't have every LE doll. There's no way to really get Kailey or Lindsay anyway at this point ebay is just too expensive and I'd rather put the $$$ towards other AG items.

Am I crazy to exchange Jess? Just so you know, I've never exchanged a doll like this before--all of my Madames that I've ever gotten, I've kept, largely for sentimental reasons. But, as I look at the MA's on display in our living room, I can't help but think about the fact that all they do is sit there, whereas the AG's have already taken road trips and had tons of fun. I'd hate Jess to wind up in the "sit there" category, since she should be having adventures.

Please give me your opinions! Also, if I do exchange her, any votes on Nellie, #24, #28 or Elizabeth as her replacement?

Help!

Katie
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol, no, your not crazy, I feel the same way about Jess, but I don't think I am going to return her...anyways, if you do, exchange her for Nellie!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're not crazy at all. If you don't like her, you don't like her. I would definitely send her back and get a doll that you want.

I really hate the whole LE thing anyway (not the individual dolls - we have Marisol and Jess.) I wish AG would just introduce the dolls and keep them forever.

Out of those you're thinking about, my choice would be AGT 28!

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for reassuring me that it is really ok to exchange Jess. I just feel kind of sad that there hasn't been a connection and, for some unexplainable reason, kind of guilty that I don't care for Jess. who knows why? Maybe because I really did look forward to getting her and now it's just a bit of a let-down you know?

Carrie, I did contemplate going the ebay route, but then I also thought about the MCM sale and I'd much rather have Jess wind up there where someone (maybe even one of you all) can get her instead. I don't want to make a profit on her, just to get a different doll who DD & I can play with and enjoy right away, if that makes sense.

I'm seriously leaning towards Nellie, because I've wanted her since Samantha's movie came out and Nellie is just so spunky, IMHO. I almost got Nellie instead of Jess and I guess I'm still just thinking I shouldv'e gotten Nellie in the first place.

My plan is to get #24 and/or #28 at AGPNY in a few weeks--I'm already looking forward to picking them out myself in the store.

Please if anyone else has an opinion, do share it with me! This is a hard decision so I appreciate any insights you've got to offer.

I'm planning to call AG tomorrow during DD's naptime, if I go for the exchange. Does anyone know if Jess's meet outfit is available as a replacement part? I like her meet outfit a lot and will be sad to see it go...

Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

I know what you mean about feeling sad about the lack of connection.

Last year when Elizabeth first came out, my daughter wanted her really badly for her birthday which is the 24th of September - perfecting timing for the new dolls. We got Elizabeth for her and I noticed that Elizabeth was placed in Felicity's bed and never moved. When I asked my daughter about her, she burst into tears. She really didn't like Elizabeth much at all. She felt that she looked like a young lady, not a little girl. The whole thing was very traumatic and actually put her off of AG for a while. We sent Elizabeth back and decided to wait for the new LE before she made a decision about a new doll to replace Elizabeth (her main birthday gift!)

Jess was the LE of the year and that's who my daughter chose to replace Elizabeth.

I must confess that I wasn't really all that thrilled with Elizabeth myself. She always reminds me of Martha Washington when I see her in her tea gown. I think I prefer her as a modern girl which is due in part to the great picture of her in the new Coconut outfit (I think it's Bitsy02's siggy pic!)

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 29, 2006 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Molly-Felicity ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Isn't it great that we all have different tastes and likings? Why should any one hold it against you if you can't bond with Jess? Exchange her for one of the girls you feel more comfortably with and I'm sure your Jess will go to a little or big girl who will give her all the love she needs, while you give all your love to one of the girls you feel more at ease with.

Now to make up your mind who the new girl will be!