Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kinda OT: The Girls in my Grade say they never had played with dolls.

Inactive Member QueenNellieElizabeth's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mam was working at school and she was a <s>Teaching</s>Baby sitting a study hall and the girls in my grade (whom I hate) where saying that they never played with dolls when they where younger. That is so wrong, my mam and I both agree that our socity is teaching girls to act like boys at such a young age. what do you girls think about this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think not playing with dolls means we are teaching girls to act like boys. I personally do not prefer defined gender rolls such as this.

What I do think our society is losing is the ability for imaginative play. The ability to create a world without having every piece given to you first. Dolls are a part of this, but even the more "boy" play lacks this now as well- from what I have observed in classrooms and such.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Society or not, I never really liked dolls when I was younger, either. I had a ton of My Little Ponies, and then my very favorite toy was a vinyl-head doll of Gadget from Rescue Rangers.

But actual human dolls held very little appeal to me. I did get Kirsten when I was still a little girl, but her time period and historical authenticity were what appealed to me...I've played with her a LOT more as a grown-up than I ever did when I was little!

Odd to say, there's nothing wrong with a little girl not wanting to play with dolls, any more than there's anything wrong with boys WANTING to play with them! It's better if kids are allowed to play with what they like. If the girls were discouraged from playing with dolls, that is sad, but if they just didn't like them, there's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it's rather sad myself. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a little girl or playing with "gender defined" toys.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I didn't like most gender-defined things.I liked to play with the boys and girls,but now most of my friends are boys.But now that I have the dolls.I think being a girly-girl and tom-boy is nice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The loss of imaginative play is really sad. I think that kids try to grow up so fast now and deny what they may have liked when they were little. I'm only 21, but I already see such a huge difference in kids today from when I was one not too long ago. When I was 12, I would play with my younger sister with our huge dollhouses and create little towns. Now, the 12-year-olds that I babysit are into designer handbags and boys. Media pressure is so strong these days... it's sad.

Erin

horselvr2

Well, those girls seem like the "popular type" they probley did play with dolls, they just don't want to admit it, and they'll be "un-cool" if they do say they played with dolls.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 01, 2006 07:01 PM: Message edited by: girlag_crzy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by girlag_crzy:
    Well, those girls seem like the "popular type" they probley did play with dolls, they just don't want to admit it, and they'll be "un-cool" if they do say they played with dolls.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This could very well be true, sad, but true!

When I read this topic I was saddened. I think all children should have the opportunity to play with toys without feeling ashamed, no matter whom the toy was intended for.

I personally love dolls and always have, despite a phase during my teens when the "popular girls" made me feel as if it was un-cool to play with such dolls. Luckly, that didn't stick with me and now at the age of 27 I am a proud AG doll collector!

Inactive Member QueenNellieElizabeth's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They are the popular girls. I'm wondering if this one girl who has AG dolls was saying that. because if she was then she lied.
    My School is a small school and they mostly only care what the people in sports do, and your not considered popular if you dont play sports or are bad at PE. I think I lost some of my friends because of this, at least I have my best friend and my dolls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Like Kenshin, it was all about the my little ponies when I was a little girl too. Molly was the only doll I ever loved as a little girl, usually prefering stuffed animals and horses. I also agree, 12 was different for me then it is now. When I was 12 I was still collecting Breyer model horses like mad and playing with them. Now 12 year olds are dating and dressing more provactively then I do now at 24!

I say if you enjoy playing with dolls, follow your heart! My philosphy is that as long as I fulfill my duties to God, family and country (in other words, following the laws) then I'm going to persue my happiness despite what other people think. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast