Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Over the weekend we went to AGPC for the Valerie Tripp signing. We finally met our personal shopper, Tracy Smith (love her!). My daughter brought Emily of course and a doll I had customized to look similair to her. She was an ebay doll with a bad haircut so I gave her freckles, pierced her ears and bought her a short bobbed wig. Our personal shopper thought she was amazing so she was showing all the employees at the store.

One older woman who worked there was flabbergasted. She said to me, you know this is a very old doll right? I said I didn't, she was jus cheap on ebay. The woman told me I could buy the doll cleanser to remove the freckles, now why would I want to do that? She kept repeating that it was a very old doll. Sheesh, it's not like I defaced he Mona Lisa or something.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If your daughter is happy with the doll that is all that matters. It is her collection.

My son found an antique doll in the trash about 15 years ago. That doll was about 30 minutes from being crushed. I'm just glad the people threw her out - I don't criticize them - without them I wouldn't have her.

In both cases I think it's great that the older doll found someone to love it again and take care of it.

I think it's great your daughter has a twin!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since the doll could never be made to look original again (unless you could find another AG wig for her--difficult, since the hair is usually first to go on older dolls)--you may as well fix her up to look like you want. It's MUCH better than trying to keep her "original" and leaving her with bad hair!

(I don't really approve of "making over" AG dolls that are in good shape just for the sake of it--I'd rather the makeover be for rescue purposes for dolls who might otherwise be considered "ruined"--but that's just me. I also recognise that such dolls belong to others who have the right to do as they like with them.)

Congratulations on your DD's unique "lookalike" AG--I hope you both enjoy her for years to come! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sigh..... When will people ever learn to MindTheirOwnBusiness.

When I decided to make an Anne of Green Gables I started to look on E-Bay for a Molly in need of love - Yup I landed up getting a lovely PM Molly at a right Jolly old price. That poor girl needed some TLC and DH and I made a wonderful team re-making her. Yes, she was an old AG Doll and you know what she is once again a LOVED AG OneOfAKind doll.

Post pictures of your little beauty so we can see

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 05, 2006 01:25 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Felicity_Fan85

The doll is being loved and that's what matters most. If she came with a bad haircut, she wouldn't really be able to be fully restored to her former self, so you rescued her.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Like Robin, I personally couldn't alter a doll who wasn't already in need of a rescue, but that's just me. I love seeing photos of all the personalized dollies out there and think they are lovely.

I had orignally thought of rewigging a brunette Bitty twin with sandy hair so he'd be my son's mini-me. But once the twin came to live here, I just couldn't bring myself to remove a perfect wig. And what's funny is that my son's hair has suddenly darkened. While it doesn't exactly match the twin, it's no longer the color of the wig I might have used.

Don't let that lady's comments bother you. You rescued a dolly and have given her a new life...which is a darned sight better than trying to preserve a doll that someone else ruined. Can't wait to see photos!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 05, 2006 12:49 PM: Message edited by: EleanorofAquitane ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Heeeey, I thought AG had been claiming that there's no difference between the old dolls and the new ones! So I guess the bright spot is that some employees notice the difference. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, very sorry that lady was so rude. I really like most of the "one-of-a-kind" dolls I've seen, and I don't even see anything wrong with redoing a doll that's already in good shape...the main reason I wouldn't (besides that I really like only having 2 dolls) is because I'm cheap. [img]redface.gif[/img] Now, if you happened to have a perfect condition PM doll and customized it, I don't think that's the most economical move (you could easily sell and buy another doll with a haircut and pocket the difference!). But as long as the doll is loved, I really can't have a problem with even that.

(Although, I can't say I'd ever pierce a doll's ears; they can look very nice, but my OWN ears aren't pierced. But even if you came in with a heavily pierced doll, as long as it wasn't bothering any other customers, no salesperson has a right to treat you poorly because of it. [img]frown.gif[/img] )

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 05, 2006 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kenshinchan:
    Heeeey, I thought AG had been claiming that there's no difference between the old dolls and the new ones! So I guess the bright spot is that some employees notice the difference.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, the same thought occurred to me. Too funny.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think the AG employee was right. It is your doll, and you can do whatever you want with her. It's great that you rescued her from eBay. I would love to see a picture of your customized girl!

Piercing - I pierced Marie's ears. I'd been wanting to pierce a doll's ears and since I would never sell her, and she's not in perfect condition anyway, why not? I think it adds to her appearance but it doesn't work for everyone. I think it's cute how you customized the doll to look like your daughter.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi: This is just a FYI - if you have an older doll or one that is retired, AG Doll Hospital keeps a stock of the heads so that if a doll that is no longer available comes in they can fix it.

I am only saying that in case someone does want a new head - I agree that the employee was totally out of line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast