Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hope you guys can help me. I got a Samantha doll around 1988. Slowly got a good chunk of her collection, including a few now-retired items (Xmas dress). I'm missing a couple small things, like her velvet hat and a couple pairs of shoes, but everything is in good shape, as is the doll, except for a few strands of hair as a result of my pre-teen attempts at working on her hair. Nothing major. Around 1992 or maybe before, I bought the whole Kirsten collection.

Alas, my poor gals have been sitting in boxes for five years or so, since my parents moved and mailed everything to me here in Seattle. I haven't had room to set them out; and I'm beginning to wonder if they wouldn't be happier elsewhere. (Is it a bad sign that I'm worried about inanimate objects?!)

Anyyywaaay, I'm not looking to get rich from the sale, but I know pre-mattel dolls with white bodies are supposedly worth a little bit more. I'm wondering if anyone knows a ballpark value? I tried posting on Craigslist but everyone there says they don't want to insult me and say I should give them an idea. I know spent a lot 15 years ago. And I'm still emotionally kind of attached to those two lil rascals. So I don't want to let them go for too little... Is there a place to find out reasonable prices? If the dolls aren't in absolute mint condition (no scratches or anything) is it unrealistic to expect to make at least my original money back?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 06, 2006 10:20 PM: Message edited by: OSusannah ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would check e-bay completed auctions, and see what items similar to yours sold for. I think that would give you a ballpark. So much depends on the condition of the dolls, unless you can post pictures, I really don't think we can help you much.
    Jo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the board. Checking ebay is probably your best estimate. You may make more selling items individually. If you do sell as a collection, I would set a reserve price so they don't go too cheap. If using craigslist, just set your price and see what happens. You might be surprised. You probably will make most of your money back. Good Luck!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I live in the Seattle area and have sold things on Craigslist, ebay and here on the Hostboard. My experience is that things will not sell for ebay prices on Craigslist. I've had a lot of things that have not sold on Craigslist even though I have offered them at very good prices. I like the fact that you do not need to deal with shipping on Craigslist, but if you are interested in getting as much money as you can for your items, I'd go to ebay and sell things separately. I've found that selling things at reasonable prices here on the HB is great too! You can help people out finding things they need and you don't need to deal with the ebay fees.

That being said, I did see your add on Craigslist earlier today and did e-mail you (Meg Barry). If you are willing to sell your items separately, I'd certainly be willing to come by and see what you have. I would be happy to give you ideas of what you could sell things for on ebay if you'd like. My daughter and I would be happy to give you a fair price for a few of your items too! - Meg B.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 06, 2006 08:38 PM: Message edited by: stebbarry ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with the comments above -- check eBay's completed auctions for a good idea of what you might be able to get. eBay is the way to go if you want to make some decent money -- a lot of people on Craigslist want to pay "yard sale" prices for AG stuff. As far as making back what you paid for everything goes, you most definitely can -- particularly for the WB dolls, Kirsten's retired dresses and the retired accessories. I also agree that you'll probably get more money if you sell things separately -- it's more work, but you'll make out better in the end. If you can wait a little while, eBay prices will be going up shortly -- right now it's more of a buyer's market than a seller's market, but that will be changing soon.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Thanks guys for responding so quickly! I'll take some pictures and (assuming I don't get all re-attached by looking at it again) post them with some more questions.

You guys are really helpful, thanks again!
    Abby

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi: I would advise dividing your collection. Sometimes a person just wants one thing and if they want it bad enough they go nuts. If something is listed for over $1,000 - well, most people don't bid on things that high - I know I don't.

joelanddeborah

Yes, I think you're going to have to divide it up and sell items or accessory sets singly. I think, if you do it right, you would make plenty of money on them. You'd be surprised what would happen on ebay with your auctions if you cleaned everything up and took killer pictures! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would advise listing the items seperately and on eBay...

You would probably make more of your money back that way, too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to say Welcome!!!!!
    It sounds like you might want to keep your dolls [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] .
    Good luck with your decision. [img]smile.gif[/img]