Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am so excited! I was running errands today, and I happened to drive past a sign for a yard sale at the Evanston Quaker church. So, inspired by the successes of some on this board, I decided to stop in.

It took me awhile to find the room with the toys in it, and when I got there it took me awhile to wade through it all. By this time it was about 2-3 pm, and apparently kids and/or their parents had been rooting through it all since about 8 am. It was quite a mess.

I saw an AG Penney, but it was not in great shape, and not a very good value for me to re-sell, at $8. But seeing it there inspired me to keep looking--"Where there's smoke there's fire", as they say--kind of like an archeologist who, after many years of unsuccessful searching, finally finds a pottery shard of some rare dynasty.

I can't believe that they were so hard to see, but the next two things I was thrilled to find were Felicity's bed and Kirsten's Scenes and Settings! The bed had all its hangings, but it was missing the coverlet and the pillow, and I couldn't find them anywhere, so I went to pay for these 2 things and put them in the car, so that I could keep looking, unencumbered.

The lady hadn't priced them yet. So she priced the bed at $20 and asked me how I would price the S & S. I told her that I didn't want to say. She saw the AG name on it, and my hesitancy, and then priced it at $40. [img]frown.gif[/img]

When I came back to look again, I found the coverlet and pillow, buried under various other things. Gradually, as I searched through boxes of Legos, stuffed toys, games,and various other items, I found little treasures, each one making me gasp when I finally realized what I was looking at in the chaos--like gold nuggets in the sand.

So here's what I found......

Josefina's Desk(missing the legs, front door put on inside out)--with the inkwell safely stashed inside, plus a kitty eraser and a pencil stub.

Kirsten's School Bench--looks like it might be old enough to be PM. It's heavy and looks like real wood, with real bark on the outside.

Josefina's Sambrito--looks almost new, except for some scuffs on a hoof.

Kirsten's School Supplies--in the bag, with the ruler the slate, the cloth eraser,a pencil, the reader, and the awards.

Kirsten's Spoon Pocket--empty

Felicity's Bedwarmer--AG sticker is gone, and there's a very small scuff of red paint, but otherwise in perfect condition

AGOT Purple Backpack--containing the green water bottle, Josefina's book of poems from her mother, the first aid kit with the scissors, tape, and gauze pad (opened--really does have gauze inside!), and a plastic top possibly non-AG

Josefina's Lunch Cloth

Kirsten's Lunch Cloth--and her apple!

Kirsten's Saint Lucia Sock--just one [img]frown.gif[/img]

Felicity's Meet Sock--just one [img]frown.gif[/img]

Samantha's Plaid Gaiter--just one

Hangers--1 historical, 1 AGOT

Green Elastic Bookmark (Girls)

Kirsten's Blue Lucia Tray--vertical handles

Molly's Glasses Case--empty

Handkerchief--unidentified (looks AG, but I can't match it with any in the old catalogs)

Non-AG Items--AG-sized book "Pierre:A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue", an AG-sized delta kite, spoon and fork, 2 china cups, 1 china saucer, 1 china plate, and 1 lid for china tea pot.

Now, as for the fish that got away.......

The lady pricing these items for me said something like, "There was a lady here this morning who took a whole box of American Girl clothes" [img]eek.gif[/img] Boy would I love to know what was in THAT box!!! Was anyone at the Evanston Quaker church this morning? If so, could you check it for my missing socks and gaiter? [img]wink.gif[/img]

THEN a fellow shopper mentioned that she and her friend had been at a church yard sale in Winnetka the day before, and that she'd seen a LOT of AG dolls selling for only $8 !!!

Sorry this was so long, but I just had to share my excitement!

Joy [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ October 07, 2006 12:19 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any ideas on whether there's any way to tell what era a Felicity bed comes from?

Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wonderful finds, Joy - congratulations! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Sorry I can't help with dating Felicity's bed. I'm not sure there is a way to tell when it was made.

thepidget

Wow, what finds. Some of you gals have all the luck. [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] Congrats, and enjoy! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, Wow!!! How exciting Joy!!!
    I got excited just reading this!!!!!
    That is incredible!!
    I would have loved to be at that sale!!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WOW! GREAT finds! I would be floating on air! That was some sale!

Congratulations and ENJOY your new AG treasures! [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow!!!! Joy, what great finds! Sorry to hear on the things that got away, but no worries, next time, it might be you who finds tha box of AGs for $8 each! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really enjoyed your post and could feel the excitement as you talked about digging! So happy for you.
    I search flea markets, goodwills, and shows and am so disappointed.
    I did luck into a goodwill ONE time that had quite a few AG dolls. I was holding up the dolls and doing a little dance, shouting WOOOHOOO!!!! I got a Josefina, 2 Mollys, and 2 AGOTs. I was in AG heaven. There is nothing as special as cleaning up and fixing up a pre-loved AG for me!!
    PDW

*AG Star*

Whoa! What a haul! Congratulations on finding so much great stuff! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congratulations on your great finds!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast