Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I need help knowing which dolls my stepemother would have had when she was a kid. She was born in 1957 and she said that she would have liked to have had several dolls, but didn't. She did not have a Chatty Cathy though thought that they were neat. My dad said she loved the AG store in Chicago, but was thinking of maybe getting her some dolls for Christmas.

He would like to begin her collection with dolls she may have had when she was a child. Can anyone help me with this???

What dolls were there, were there ones that were better/neater than others??

She would like AG, I'm sure, but he really wanted to begin with older ones....THEN we will convert her--he he he!!

Thanks for any help!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, the Madame Alexander dolls were considered the pinnacle at that time. Cissy or Elise (adult fashion dolls) were new & very popular. They're also really expensive now but Cissy has been reissued by the Alexander doll company. Not sure about Elise. Betsy McCall by Ideal was really popular. So was the Nancy Ann Storybook Muffie & Vogue's Ginny. There are some really nice nostalgic Ginny reissues. They look pretty much just like the old ones. You can find them at Dollsville among other places. Just look for the "vintage" ones. Or you can get an actual vintage Ginny but ones in nice condition are pretty expensive. Check out eBay prices.

Polly Marie

If you do a search on eBay under the catagory of dolls and with "1967" as the item name to search, you'll find about 6 pages of dolls.
    In 1967 your stepmother would have been about ten.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mom was born in 1950 and she had a Toni doll growing up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She may have had a Tiny Tears when she was little. They were popular in the 50s and I know they were still made in the early 60s when she would have been 5 or under.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I suggest Madame Alexander,my Grandmother simply love 'em!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Um, my mom (who is close to your mom's age) has this giant Thumbelina doll -- it's a big 22 inch baby doll that has a big flat knob on it's back. When you turn it, it coos and makes other baby sounds. It's pretty cool, and apparently they were pretty popular in the late 1950s-early '60s. My mom also has a ton of old classic Barbies -- even one where she has plastic hair, and has 3 wigs to change in and out of!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really wanted a Chatty Patty or Chatty Cathy but my parents could never afford it. I did have a Tammy doll (like Barbie) that my mom sewed a wardrobe for and I had a drink and wet baby doll when I was younger.

Naomi_S

Betsy Wetsy, Miss Revlon, Ginny, Dollikin, Patty Playpal, Betsy McCall, Chatty Cathy.

The 50s and 60s had a lot of great dolls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When my brother was born in '62 I was 10 yrs old, and my Mother got me a Madam Alexandar that was just like Thumbelina (sp) but without the movement. And yes she was big, or bigger than Bitty. I was never crazy for her, by then I was into my Tammy doll and a Barbie with her Austin Healy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast