Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Informations on the 60s (not OT)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok I am working on a project (non school related) and not ot, you will see why later! But the 60s happened a long time before I was born, so I need as much information as possible, especially songs, movies, and tv shows that were popular, and anything else, thanks in advance.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 22, 2006 04:31 PM: Message edited by: simplysophia ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It?s difficult to know where to start since the 60s were a decade in which such a lot happened...

In the early 60s, there was this whole California surfing thing going on, beach movies were extremely popular. Check out the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Frankie Avalon for music.

TV-Shows... Gidget, Gilligan?s Island, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Dark Shadows... was the Brady Bunch 60s or 70s?... Bonanza... Gunsmoke... The Monkees... Star Trek (not too popular at first)...

In the mid-60s America got the British Invasion. In the wake of the Beatles? success, many other British bands and singers were popular in the US and all over the world: Herman?s Hermits, Freddy and the Dreamers, Gerry and the Pacemakers...
    Miniskirts were all the rage.

In the second half of the 1960s there was the Hippy movement. They dressed in an alternative fashion and propagated love and peace.
    There was also the Vietnam war.

Other movies... let me think... Doris Day and Rock Hudson were a very popular couple in comedies such as Pillow Talk.
    There were quite a few lovely musical movies made that decade - Oliver, Mary Poppins, Finian?s Rainbow, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (which is where I got my HB name from)...

The first James Bond movies were made in the 1960s and were an instant success. I think Goldfinger and Dr. No were the first two, with Sean Connery as James Bond.
    There were a lot of secret agent movies in the wake of the James Bond success. It really hit a spot since it was the time of the Cold War between America and Russia. The Man from UNCLE was a popular secret agent TV show which had a spinoff called The Girl from UNCLE.

Asides from those, Science Fiction and Western movies were still popular.

That?s all I can think of for now... :-)

thepidget

I just wanted to drop in with some information...here are some other famous TV shows from the 1960's:

The Prisoner
    The Avengers
    The Mod Squad (late 60's/early 70's)

Also, one of my favorite movies from the 1960's is "A Hard Day's Night" with the Beatles. Their British accents can be hard to understand, but the film is good at capturing the excitement and fun of Beatlemania in the first half of the 60's. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If by chance you are looking for footwear from the 60's, doll-sized perhaps?? On ebay I see a brown suede boot with fringed top. They are perfect for that time. I was a kid back then but can still remember alot of fringe and pop graphics on clothes. Headbands too. Another good group making music back then were the Mama's & the Papa's. Make sure you show us what you're up to!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 22, 2006 05:59 PM: Message edited by: luv*AG ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by luv*AG:
    Make sure you show us what you're up to!

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ November 22, 2006 05:59 PM: Message edited by: luv*AG ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok I will, there a two parts to my project, one is a story, which i'm writing right now, and then a doll! I want to make her girl of 2008 (but that won't happen) It's till fun though.

I always wanted a spy doll, so that's what I'm making.

Oh and all this information is great, I've never hear of any of these people, except Julie Andrews, from Eloise and the Princess Diaries.

I'm also working on a Historical doll, and her story. Here's a little about my historical (It goes for about a 2 year span, and I will probably change some of it, but I already have a lot done) So here's a short summry:

Maya is a 10 year old girl living in 1618 during the time the English came to the "New World". Maya lives with her mother, father, younger and older sister, and her older brother. They live in a small house with no gas, or electricity. Her Mother stays home with the her and her sisters, while her brother helps pick crops on a farm, and her dad is a cobbler. The conditions are poor, and her mother has come down with an illness, they try to take care of her the best that they can, until more of the family falls victim. Now there only chance at a new and better life is coming to America.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 22, 2006 06:15 PM: Message edited by: simplysophia ]</font>

MapleLeaf

I pm'd you about a website that has alot of great information about the 60's.
    Let us know how your project is going.
    Nia [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys that great info. I am making a 60's doll, with a line of clothing (pics to come!), and every doll comes with a book so I'm writing it right now. Bascally she is a girl grwoning up in the 60's and wants to be a spy, there's lots more stuff, I'll tell everyone more later.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ummm. Scuse me but it wasn't "oh and also there was the Viet Nam war."

The 60's was ENTIRELY about the Viet Nam war. You were either for it or against it. But it changed everything.

Folk singers like Peter, Paul and Mary came along about the same time as the Beatles. My father didn't like loud music so I didn't get to listen to Beatles. But PPM was allowed. And most of the folk singers in the 60's were making statements about the Civil Rights movement and the war.

When I was in college, several friends were drafted and ended up fighting in the war. Others decided they couldn't do that and moved to Canada -- and never came back. College students protesting the war were beaten by cops, some even killed.

The war was not an Also.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by pidgetgirl:
    I just wanted to drop in with some information...here are some other famous TV shows from the 1960's:

The Prisoner
    The Avengers
    The Mod Squad (late 60's/early 70's)

Also, one of my favorite movies from the 1960's is "A Hard Day's Night" with the Beatles. Their British accents can be hard to understand, but the film is good at capturing the excitement and fun of Beatlemania in the first half of the 60's. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My dad loves The Prisoner and The Avengers and has gotten me into them as well. Another one we like is called The Saint. Was that from the 1960s too?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really want AG to make a 60s doll and I've been considering making one myself also. After Nicki(and I get some extra $) I would love to do something like that. Since my mom is a baby-boomer I can ask her whatever I might need to know. And if you can get a copy of American Dreams the TV show that will really give you a lot to work with, especially what was popular for kids and teens during that time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast