Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know about Jewish names? After seeing how cute my Life of Faith dolls Violet and Kathleen were together in 1930s clothes, I wanted to make them friends- Kathleen would be Episcopalian and Violet would be Jewish.

Of course, Violet is not a Jewish name. I was thinking of Hannah Violet, because I already had a Jewish doll named Hannah, but since she is non-articulated I wanted to use a different one to replace her character.

So... would Hannah Violet work? Or would Jewish people not use a non-Jewish name for the middle name, either?

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 26, 2006 01:06 AM: Message edited by: horsemom ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm...Esther? I'm bad with names.

Inactive Member AGPrincessGirl92's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont know about jewish names to much but I had a friend named Sigal and its an awesome name!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi there,

My mom and dad are Jewish and my name is Erin Blair! Nothing Jewish about it, haha! However, a lot of people have asked me how a Jewish girl got a name like that since both of my parents are religious. It is common for Jews to have Hebrew names, but it is not required. I know many, many Jews named Lauren, but that name isn't of Hebrew origin. Some names just tend to be more "Jewish-sounding;" these names can be of American, English, Latin-origin, etc. I've even met a Jewish girl named Christina, although that is very uncommon. It all depends from family to family and how traditional or religious they are.

One thing that Jews don't usually do is name babies after living relatives. It is common to name babies after relatives that have passed by giving them a name starting with the first letter.

Jewish babies are traditionally given a Hebrew name by a rabbi shortly after birth. My Hebrew name is Esther. These names are also commonly derived from deceased relatives' names.

Here is a Web site with Hebrew names for girls: http://www.babynamenetwork.com/baby_...&gender=Female

If you have any other questions, please ask! I'll do my best to answer.

Erin

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 25, 2006 04:51 PM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^^^^^ What she said! LOL!
    I'm Jewish... my Hebrew name is Malka (which means Queen) and my middle name is Shira (which means song... Queen of Song... haha.)

Most of my Jewish friends have names like Jessica, Emily, Amanda, etc... Common-ish names... But I really think you can be named anything nowadays and not have any idea what religion you are!

Mindy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Mindylane:
    I'm Jewish... my Hebrew name is Malka (which means Queen) and my middle name is Shira (which means song... Queen of Song... haha.)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oooh I love the name Shira. That's my sister's Hebrew name. I actually really like Shiri, too, a variation which means 'my song,' or 'song of my soul.' My full Hebrew name is actually Shandel Soro Esther (2/3 of it being Yiddish), and translates into Pretty Face Princess -- oy vey!

horsemom -- Have you considered a modern Israeli name? They are beautiful. Gali, Gili, Yael, Tali, Shira/Shiri, Michal, Sarit, Ayala... I have a baby name book that I bought in Israel and it has traditional Hebrew and modern Israeli names.

Erin

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 25, 2006 05:05 PM: Message edited by: sparklyyy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone! Good to know!

I'm still deciding... It'll either be:

Hannah Violet

or

Hannah Sigal

I love the name Hannah and want to keep her original name as part of her character. Votes, anyone?

Also, she'd be from the 1930s- anyone know if back then Jewish people still named their children frequently with Gentile names, or were they more traditional and just stuck with the Hebrew? Thanks again for the quick info! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by horsemom:
    Thanks everyone! Good to know!

I'm still deciding... It'll either be:

Hannah Violet

or

Hannah Sigal

I love the name Hannah and want to keep her original name as part of her character. Votes, anyone?

Also, she'd be from the 1930s- anyone know if back then Jewish people still named their children frequently with Gentile names, or were they more traditional and just stuck with the Hebrew? Thanks again for the quick info! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While I am inclined to say that I feel people were more traditional back then in that aspect (perhaps they were), I think I'll say, once again, "depends"! [img]smile.gif[/img] I would think that people were a bit less experimental and liberal with names back then in general. Thinking about my grandmas, great aunts, and their Jewish friends, some have very traditional Hebrew names, others don't.

I vote for Hannah Sigal... that's so pretty! Sigal is a common Jewish last name (with variations such as Segal/Segel, etc.).

Erin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hannah is my Hebrew name (it means pretty one).

Jews do not name children after living family members but it is very common to name children after family members who have died. So I would avoid giving Hannah Violet a living mother or grandmother or aunt with either name. Aside from that you're fine. Violet is a sort of old fashioned name to begin with so I think it works well for the 1930s.

If you want common Jewish names-- Sarah, Rebecca, Ann (and umpteen variations there of), Leigh, Ella...

Have fun!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are VERY few Jewish people in the area where I live, but the ones I do know all seem to be named Rachael! My daughter just read a book about a young Jewish girl and the Holocaust and has since become obsessed with all things Jewish. She talks about the book a lot, and the characters she mentions are Hannah, Chaya, Rivka, Gitl and Eva. I have always loved the names Tirzah and Shoshanah.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast