Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I LOVE the name Yael! I used to babysit for a family of three girls, and their names were Devorah, Yael, and the youngest was Avital, but they called her "Tali" for short, and I thought that was really cute.

Hannah was my grandmother's name, and she came from an orthodox Jewish family. So that's definitely fitting [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Melissa*Olivia:
    There are VERY few Jewish people in the area where I live, but the ones I do know all seem to be named Rachael! My daughter just read a book about a young Jewish girl and the Holocaust and has since become obsessed with all things Jewish. She talks about the book a lot, and the characters she mentions are Hannah, Chaya, Rivka, Gitl and Eva. I have always loved the names Tirzah and Shoshanah.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I read that book, it was really good but also very sad. [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the information, everyone! It's been so helpful! [img]smile.gif[/img] There are so many lovely Hebrew names out there...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm Jewish and named Angela Charlene- not particularly Jewish sounding, although both first and middle are derived from deceased relatives (mostly by first letter), my grandmother and a great aunt from my dad's side. My sister is Paula Kathleen, named after two relatives on my mother's side (grandfather Paul.)

I do have a Hebrew name- Hannah Tsriel. (I'm not sure I spelled the second part right. I don't have the certificate in front of me.)
    My grandmother Anne (my namesake) also had the Hebrew name of Hannah which is why my AGT is named Hannah Rose- Hannah for that grandmother and Rose for my mother's mother.

My cousin's long time friend from childhood is named Sigal. Her parents are actually from Israel, and she also has a sister named Tamara.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My family is Jewish. The most important points to remember about naming a Jewish baby is

1. The name should somehow be reflective of a deceased relative, even if only the first letter of the deceased name is used. Grandparents names (first and middle) are the most often used for this.

2. The name doesn't contain certain names associated with other religions
    a.k.a Christina, Christopher, Chris, etc cannot be used because they contain the word Christ.

Popular biblical names for girls:
    Sarah/Sara
    Rebecca/Rebekah/Rivka (all same name)
    Rachel
    Leah
    Esther
    Miriam

My regular name isn't exactly Jewish (Katina) but I was named after my maternal grandmother, Kathlyn. My Hebrew name is Kelilah which I chose just a few years ago, but usually parents choose a Hebrew name for their children shortly after they're born.

My brother's name is Joshua(after my paternal grandfather Harold JACK), my mom's name is Roberta and my late father's name was Allan. My paternal grandmother who was born in 1915 is still alive and her name is Pearl. She also has a friend around her age named Pearl and my maternal great-grandmother who was born in the late 1890s was also named Pearl.

If I ever have a daughter one day I plan to name her Allison, since my father who died when I was 16 was named Allan.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 26, 2006 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We're Jewish-and through my life, with family and cousins heard lots of Jewish names-here is a few:
    (My family is also Israeli)

Ava
    Sarah/Sara
    Leah
    Beth
    Audrey
    Rebecca
    Stephanie
    Orli
    Nili
    Nurit
    Eliana
    Jaidyn
    Jordyn/Jordan
    Madeline
    Hannah
    Skylar
    Shari
    Jaime
    Alisha
    Erica
    Jill
    Jennifer
    Amy
    Jessica
    Marisa
    Dori
    Mindy

There is a lot more [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1930's

My dad was born in 1935 and was Jewish. He was named after a recently deceased relative by using the first letter, 'I'. He was named Ian Barry, but Ian is pronounced eye-ann instead of the common ee-ann so the eye sound matched the relative's. As far as I know, Barry isn't a Jewish name. I guess this would be 10 years after your girl got her name, but hopefully it's close enough to let you know it's not impossible to have a non-Jewish name at that time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My host-Mum in England was named Nomi and their daughter's name was Yael, which has already been mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast