Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences between Molly Movie and Molly Book?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In the book, Molly's Mom works for the Red Cross -not an airplane factory.

The changes in the movie didn't really bother me, I just wonder what the reasoning was behind making the changes. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some of the changes bothered me, like curling Molly's hair. I like that part of the story, because it showed the sisterly bond between Jill and Molly. The movie didn't capture that. Also, I like in the book that Molly didn't get to be Miss Victory, because it taught a valuable lesson. However, I didn't expect the movie to stay true to that part. They showed Molly dancing in the Miss Victory costume so I knew it would be there.

Overall I thought it was a good movie. I thought Molly Ringwald would be better though. She seemed to have the same espression on her face surprised/scared and I didn't really buy her as a mother. My family enjoyed the movie too, especially my father.

I forgot to add that I thought the tap dancing would be a little better. I think they looked better in class than they did in the performance. It did look realistic though!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 27, 2006 09:51 AM: Message edited by: marilyn2222 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. Brad -

He really wasn't an enormous part of the book series. Ricky and Jill each had parts to play for Molly's development, but Brad was just there as her baby brother. It didn't surprise me that he wasn't included, especially since he would have had to be a young child, and thus would have had even fewer work hours.

Also, it seemed to me that Ricky was younger than Molly in the movie, so they could have decided to use him as an amalgation of Ricky and Brad.

2. Allison

Was her blond hair ever really important to the stories? I know that it was prominent in the illustrations, but even a brunette could be a "golden angel" - perhaps she had blond-tones or gold wings or something.

Also, I suspect that when they reviewed the casting call auditions, they thought the Allison actress was best suited for the role. And since she was a minor speaking part, and the bits where her blond hair was mentioned in the books weren't included in the film, her hair color wasn't important enough to dye or use a wig.

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the film. I agree that the ending with Molly being sick would have made it really spectacular instead of just predictable. Also, Miss Campbell kept weirding me out, I'm not sure why. I just couldn't bear watching her on the screen! Maybe it was how she was portrayed?

Another difference not mentioned yet is Miss LaVonda. She didn't hold tap lessons during school, but in a different building, wasn't it, and after school? And the Miss Victory thing was for a fund raising rally, not a Christmas pageant.

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alison's hair color wasn't nearly as much of an issue for me as Elizabeth's in the Felicity books. She was only a minor character, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There were some HUGE differences, and some little differences, but none of them really bothered me. I've stopped expecting movie adaptations of books to be even close, because they never are, which makes them much easier to watch. But Molly has always been my favorite historical and she still is (but I like my Kit doll better... shhhhh).

However, it might have bothered me more if the last time I read the Molly books wasn't about 5 years ago. I don't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12