Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Movie Order??

ButtercupFlibble

Originally posted by Skittl1321:
    [QB] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ButtercupFlibble:
    [QB]
    I would LOVE it if they made Harriet for Addy (she's more likely than Sarah because her family has money, so the doll can have more pretty dresses than Sarah would and would thus sell better), but it's probably not likely (though Addy is much more likely to get a movie than Josefina or Kaya).
    [QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NO! Harriet and Addy aren't friends. Harriet treats her really poorly. That would be like if they made Eddie for Samantha. I would be very disappointed if they went for pretty dresses (which Addy has a lot of -because her mom works in a sewing shop) over a character who she is friends with.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know, I don't think she's quite as bad as Eddie. It seemed to me like they might be developing a little more of a friendship in Addy Saves the Day (once again, I haven't read the books since I was twelve so I'm a little fuzzy on the details) and that short story where Addy and Harriet both get accepted at that school to become teachers (that could be a good plot they could run with). The thing about the AG books is they're a little unrealistic. (They're not aimed at adults or anything, and I know that, so they get some leeway.) By the end of the series, Addy's family is pretty much in tact when a lot of former slaves never found the rest of their families. Her mother works in a dress shop so she gets a lot more nice clothes than she would realistically have had. I understand the reasoning behind this - they're meant for fairly young girls and people wouldn't buy a doll that didn't have a lot of pretty outfits. (My favorite AG varies depending on what day it is, but Addy's clothes are always my favorites.)
    But the only people who seem to die are either older or bit characters. (Marta being the exception.)

To some extent, they're stuck with the way the authors wrote the books years ago. I don't think they anticipated that they would ever be making the best friend dolls, or they would have made sure that each character had a best friend that would be very marketable and appeared in more books. When I was at the peak of my AG collecting (between nine and eleven), I used to write Pleasant Company all the time telling them to make the friend dolls like Nellie (she was the one I REALLY wanted the most) and Elizabeth and they always wrote back saying that people wouldn't buy them and I should just buy some Girl of Today dolls and pretend. I never did because they didn't have the right hair and they wouldn't have the right clothes! (At the time, all of the GoT dolls had the exact same hair style.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sara, sorry I misread it! I didn't mean to sound snarkish at all.

Skittl- I agree with the Mary sentiment. I mentioned it several times last year as a possibility and no one agreed. If Emily can be a friend doll- and she was only in 1 book- then Mary can. Mary sounded very sweet- especially in organizing the girls to give the quilt to Kirsten.

GreyMyst

Originally posted by colette denali:
    Sara, sorry I misread it! I didn't mean to sound snarkish at all.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL I kinda figured. No big deal at all. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by SaraLovesHerDollys:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ButtercupFlibble:

Kirsten doesn't have a best friend her age except for Singing Bird, who would be a lot like Kaya and Kaya does not sell very well (though if they want to change the books around a little, they COULD do that girl (Mary?) whose family goes on the Oregon Trail in Changes for Kirsten).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've said it once, and I'll say it again, she doesn't have to look like Kaya. Native American vary as muc has any other group. Also her tribe would be differant with differant customs and stuff, and it would be modern enough she could wear some european influenced clothes and be accurate.

in 1855, a "treaty" that stole ginormus amounts of land from the Winnebago tribe in Minnesota happened, and while they never mentioned her tribe, this is what I always assumed made Singing Bird leave. They could elaborate on that, and it would make a good story.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/nativ...nebagohist.htm

Dark long hair in maybe a ponytail, differant face mold(jess maybe!), medium skin, and eyes like AGT26.

There are LOTS of possibilites.

Kaya doesn't sell that well because her hair is hard to manage and her collection is tiny. Singing Bird would also have a tie-in with Kirsten that would make Kirsten fans want her.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know one major difference that's right in the story: Singing Bird wears deerskin leggings under her dresses and Kaya didn't. Also I think Singing Bird's skin is closer to the color of Josefina's(lighter) than Kaya's(darker). If Kirsten doesn't get a movie or friend doll, Josefina would make a good Singing Bird with 2 braids.

I agree that all the dolls probably won't get movies. However, I do hope before they take a break from making movies, which would very likely be after this or next year that they do at least one of the minority main characters. I really do want to see the Kit movie, but I also think that before then one of the non-caucasian characters are done first.

I do think Addy is the most popular between her, Josefina and Kaya and an Addy movie would be really interesting, plus a Harriet doll in pincurls and frilly dresses (maybe even one she buys from Mrs. Ford) would be really neat, especially since we see the change in Harriet throughout Addys main and short stories. They already acknowledged war and slavery in Felicity's movie, and they will be addressing war again in Molly's movie, so many of these delicate issues have already been touched on in the AG movies.

Also, Addy (and Kirsten) are the only ones who still hasn't had a mystery yet so I'm eager to see that the next set of mysteries which BETTER include Addy and Kirsten! Since Samantha has already had 2, I think Molly might get the next 2nd mystery since her popularity will increase from the movie. Hopefuly, one with Emily since we only see Emily in one story not counting Brave Emily.

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ June 30, 2006 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ June 30, 2006 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 30, 2006 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To me, making Harriet Addy's friend would just be wrong. I don't care what they write Harriet's "meet" book about. They were not best friends in Addy's stories, and hardly even friends. Addy's stories are some of my favorites, and I don't like the idea of them changing it just to sell more. I'd much prefer some insane story about Sarah's family coming into money so she can have pretty dresses to them making up some more insane story about Addy and Harriet bonding, and Addy ignoring Sarah in favor of Harriet. As bothersome as it was to make Elizabeth blonde, I think it would be one hundred times worse to totally change Addy's stories. Harriet would look so much like AGT26, anyway.

I'm looking forward to Singing Bird. Considering how many Native American tribes there have been, I think it would be great for AG to show another's culture. As was said, Singing Bird could easily be very different from Kaya, and I hope AG would take the educational/diversity road instead of the "make more money" road. I know Kaya has a closed smile because of the teeth showing=anger. Does anyone know if this is all Native American tribes or just the Nez Perce people? In any event, they could easily make a new mold, with a more smiley smile, since so many people seem to dislike Kaya's.

Mary would be standable. I can't remember if she's Swedish in the books, but it would be a great way to show that not all Swedish people are blonde. I'm about half Scandinavian, (although the other half is Portugese and East Indian, so definitely not fair), which always surprises people, as I'm not incredibly fair and blonde. Mary's hair is short, brown, and curly, and she has brown eyes, she'd make an ok "fake" Lindsey. She also seems to be just as close of friends with Kirsten as Singing Bird is. The only problem I see with using Mary is that she moves in the last Kirsten book (although, I think Singing Bird moves, too). Of course, they could easily work around that, since they don't seem too concerned with staying in the "---6" date.

I wouldn't mind AG taking a turn from movies for a year (or 2) for a new doll or something, but I really hope they'll make movies for all of the girls eventually. I think it would be a huge disappointment to so many people if they just stopped after Samantha, Lissie, and Molly. AG is really taking a hit in the diversity market lately.

Does anyone have any information on which dolls are selling well at AGPLA? I've been hoping we'd get some news on that, it would make sense to me that Josefina would be selling incredibly well here, and perhaps bump her up to getting a movie. Didn't they not retire Lissie, in part, because of her selling well in NY?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would love a Kirsten movie but I really don't know how well Singing Bird would sell as a doll. If they could just make movies without having to introduce another doll I bet Kirsten would get one for sure!

I hope Addy gets the next movie IF there is one. But I have to agree, Sarah should be her friend doll, not Harriet. I know Sarah has short hair and girls might not respond to that but there aren't really any short hair dolls, maybe Kit would qualify. I think Sarah could have a very interesting meet book.

Maybe Josefina would work. I think she has a friend who appears in her birthday story but we don't meet her in any detail. However they should make Francesca. I think she would be interesting because she is impatient and likes to flirt. The only problem is she is older. I wouldn't mind an older doll, I think it would be fun to have a teenager but most 9 year olds wouldn't like that. Oh well. It was a funny thought though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My friends said that Jess kinda looked Native American (Eskimo) but she dosen't. Singing Bird's tribe also has lighter tone clothing, more yellowish. Her hair is shorter. Molly and Samantha look alike. Kinda. I think it's bad that Kaya dosen't sell well. I love her personality and her stories. Every book has an adventure. Kit or Addy will probably be next. Sarah SHOULD be the next girl. Just Give her a nice dress that maybe Addy's mother made her for being such a big help around Mrs. Ford's shop. Plus Sarah's family is far worse off than Addy's, so it's a completely different life.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do think that Addy's friend SHOULD be Sarah. However what SHOULD happen and what DOES happen seems to differ quite a bit. AG will chose profitability over logic in many cases.

Susan SHOULD have been Molly's friend doll, or even Linda(but Susan was a bit more involved with Molly's life). Even Alison Hartgate is in Molly's books more than Emily is. Emily is a lovely character, but she is only in one story and not as close or involved in Molly's life, and after the birthday story we never hear from her again. It would have been nice in Changes that Molly received a letter from Emily and reads it to her family for some closure, like Samantha did when Grandmary got married and she lived with Uncle Gard and Aunt Cornelia. But it didn't. Elizabeth SHOULD have been a brunette like her original stories but she wasn't.

We may not like it, but unless we work with the CEOs of American Girl and Mattel, we don't have much say over the decisions AG makes other than the occasional fan letters. [img]frown.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 30, 2006 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is probably off-topic, but I'd love to see some Civil War dolls besides Addy. The costumes during that period were fantastic, and there could be some neat accessories (i.e. a Lincoln campaign button, or a copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin, or a few accoutrements for a Civil War nurse). It'd be so awesome!

GreyMyst

Originally posted by Diamond Dragon:
    It would have been nice in Changes that Molly received a letter from Emily and reads it to her family for some closure,
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They could easily add a couple pages with that when they update the books. It's not nearly as bad as what they did with Elizabeth and would go a long way to explaining the whole thing away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast