Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit and Molly: Child fashions of the 30s and 40s?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You could check www.gettyimages.com . I always find what I'm looking for there [img]smile.gif[/img] When you get to the main page, click "Creative" then search for "children, 1940s" for example.

Inactive Member supernonamegirl's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I recommend looking at the young movie stars of those times, like Shirley Temple or Judy Garland. What they wore in and out of the movies, followed, or even set trends.
    Also, Vogue had some doll patterns out that are, so far as I can pretty historically accurate for those time periods. I believe they're vintage patterns, even.
    Vogue1
    Vogue 2Vogue 3 (and my favorite for what it's worth.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thepidget

Thank you for the links! These pictures are really great!!! In addition, I found some vintage photos of children from the Getty Images site, and they are sooooo cute.

I also found an unexpected surprise... At the Wisconsin Historical Museum site, they listed an AG, girl-sized replica of Molly's Christmas dress. This is a modern-made outfit, but it was still listed in the 1940s category. Very cool! http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/muse...y=OBJECT:79477

[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In the picture that has been circulating of Molly and her friend, it shows both of them wearing shoes without socks. All of the sources I have queried, including a number of women who grew up during that period, tell me that just would not have happened. Seeing the picture was very jarring...

Taffy

GreyMyst

Originally posted by Taffy Cheerful:
    In the picture that has been circulating of Molly and her friend, it shows both of them wearing shoes without socks. All of the sources I have queried, including a number of women who grew up during that period, tell me that just would not have happened. Seeing the picture was very jarring...

Taffy
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The dolls both have socks. On the Brave Emily book cover I just assumed they had flesh colored nylons on,but I never thought about it really. That is weird now I thought about it because nylons would be rationed and highly unlikely.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gombe Gal, thank you for posting that link!

WOW, doesn't this one look like Samantha's talent show dress???
    http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/muse...y=OBJECT:32863

MapleLeaf

I like this website:
    http://www.forties.net/

I also came across this picture on the internet awhile ago. Looks so much like Molly and Kit as they sit and have lunch together. Notice their lunchboxes? So cute!

MollyKit

Nia [img]smile.gif[/img]

thepidget

Smile

Hi all,

I am writing to ask if anyone knows of any websites showing pictures of child fashions from the 1930s and 1940s. I love fashions from many historical periods, but I do not know too much about what children wore. Right now, I am particularly interested in seeing clothes similar to what Molly and Kit would have worn back in the day.

If you have any photos or links in regard to this, please post them!!! I would definitely love to see them. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] OR you can describe outfits that you own or have seen from these time periods. That would be great as well.

(Also, during World War II, did American children mostly get homemade clothes, or were those purchased in stores?)

Thanks!!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Polly Marie

Here is a site of school children of the forties:

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cg...=&CISOVIEWTMP=

Long addy! But a good 2 pages of pictures.
    Polly Marie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast