Thread: Addy as Bessie Coleman (female aviator)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a thought for the Addy fans on the HB - since Molly's Aviator Outfit is on sale dirt cheap ($10), this would be a good time to snap it up if you would like to dress your Addy up as Bessie Coleman. She was one of the first AA female pilots in America. She went to France around the time of WWI to be trained and then returned to America . Awesome story to research for Black History Month, etc. There is also a children's picture book out there about her, I saw it at my children's school book fair in May, but I don't remember the title. I will edit post to include it once I look it up. Just a thought. Here is a cool link with a gorgeous picture of what Addy might look like dressed up like
    Bessie Coleman

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 29, 2006 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Marytam2 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm that sounds like a good idea. I'd like to get Addy (again, had her in the past) someday, so maybe I'll try that [img]smile.gif[/img]

Polly Marie

Since I have 2 Aviator outfits, I was trying to think of how to use them. Great idea! [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]
    I didn't even know about this bit of history--have to go and do some research.Thanks!
    Polly Marie
    P.S. ---just found out she is from Texas.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 29, 2006 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Polly Marie ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do have to make a slight addendum to this post in order to be historically correct. There were no black female WWII WASPs. The Aviator uniform is a WASP uniform with the logo, etc., but the patch could be covered up or replaced with something else. There were minority applicants to the WASP program, but due to the newness of it and the difficulty of gaining acceptance with the public at that time - Cochran (director of the program) declined to accept any AA applicants. Here is an excerpt from a book about the WASPS.

"There was never a need to recruit women pilots as over 25,000 women applied for the program. A handful of Chinese women was accepted as cadets; but no Black women were accepted. Jacqueline Cochran did interview a Black pilot at her New Your City office. Cochran explained to her the difficulties the program was having gaining military acceptance, and suggested those problems would be compounded if Black women pilots were in the WFTD program. Cochran did not refuse to accept the interviewee who was well-qualified, but following the interview the woman removed her name from consideration. The former applicant spoke to other Black pilots interested in the WFTD and no more applications were received from Black candidates." 2

Good, bad or ugly - that's how it was at that time. But, black women did participate in other millitary areas (WAVES, WACS, etc).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What an incredibly awesome idea! I love it! Thanks so much for the information. I was just looking at the aviator outfit I ordered for Molly and couldn't get over how neat it is. I was thinking that Kit could wear it too since she loves Amelia Earhart. Now I need to get another. Someday I hope to add Kit and Addy to my collection. I just started actively collecting outfits and accessories when they go on sale. I'm hoping my DH will buy me dolls now for my bday and christmas, LOL!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd been thinking of ordering the aviator outfit and now am so glad I didn't wait too long. My niece will be 8 early in August and has been quite taken with the idea that there is a famous woman, Harriet Quimby, with her same first name who was a famous woman aviator. She learned about this in the school library. Hearing this from a 2nd grader impressed me. I gave my niece Kit when she turned 5. Kit has become her one special doll in that my niece thinks Kit looks like her. Maybe we'll cover up the patch for now but I think Kit in the aviator outfit will be a hit. Harriet Quimby was the first woman to fly the English Channel and the first licensed female aviator in the U.S. Thanks for inspiring me to do a little research!

GreyMyst

Originally posted by Auntie Barb to Two:
    Maybe we'll cover up the patch for now but I think Kit in the aviator outfit will be a hit.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you want to use it in another time period, the patch DOES come off. It's only held on by one row of stitching. Use tweezers to carefully pick out the row of stitches and it falls right off.

I put my patch in the pocket in case I ever wanted to put it back.

It's probably NOT a good idea if you care about it's resale value, but at the current price, it's great to get one to use in multiple time periods without the patch identifying it as 1940s

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 29, 2006 05:31 PM: Message edited by: SaraLovesHerDollys ]</font>

prasnlrd

Originally posted by Marytam2:
    Just a thought for the Addy fans on the HB - since Molly's Aviator Outfit is on sale dirt cheap ($10), this would be a good time to snap it up if you would like to dress your Addy up as Bessie Coleman. She was one of the first AA female pilots in America. She went to France around the time of WWI to be trained and then returned to America . Awesome story to research for Black History Month, etc. There is also a children's picture book out there about her, I saw it at my children's school book fair in May, but I don't remember the title. I will edit post to include it once I look it up. Just a thought. Here is a cool link with a gorgeous picture of what Addy might look like dressed up like
    Bessie Coleman
    <font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ June 29, 2006 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Marytam2 ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EXCELLENT and Welcome to the board! Your inspiratiion is a definite asset to the AG community! What an awesome piece of history you are sharing. It also helps AG because I am going to get that outfit and use it just like you have suggested. I had looked at the $10 reduced price, but passed it up as I was not real fan of the outfit.

You have given the Aviator Outfit a whole new meaning, and with that said, let me go order it! Heeee-Hawwww!!!....hope the 10% code still works...HA! [img]redface.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/island.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img] Welcome To The Board! [img]cool.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Prasnird for your comments - it is very kind of you. I love history period, all and every aspect of it. I'm an elementary school teacher and my family is military (Air Force). I have strong family ties and history that goes back to the late 1800s in Texas/Oklahoma (AA and Native American), South Carolina (West African/Gullah) and Ethiopian/Eritrean (Amhara tribe). I've been very blessed in that as an African-American I know my family history - so many of us were robbed of that. But I love world history period - European, Asian, Americas, Africa, etc. We are all so connected and history reminds us of that.