Thread: Has anyone else done this before with ebay items?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I recently bought a WB Samantha signed and numbered by both Pleasant Rowland and Goetz owner for $150. When I bought her she did not have tights, underwear or shoes. She also needed a good brushing, styling and her dress was stained. I was able to fix her up really nice. I got replacement parts for what she was missing and unbelievably was able to restore her to practically new condition. The stain came right out. Even her hair after washing has restored all curl and I spritzed the signature with water which by my surprise made it darker and stand out (it was a little fadded). I was going to keep her but now I am thinking I should sell her because they usually go for a lot of money and I could really use it with just graduating from college. I just feel guilty for some reason that the original owner might see the auction. What do you think should I sell her or does that look bad on my part? How much do you think I could get for her?

I will post pictures when I can from another computer.

Here are the pictures of her: (I don't have pictures of her with clothes on, sorry)

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2103023821

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 14, 2006 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Molly92 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI! This is my first post, and I had a question for you. How did you clean your dolls hair?
    My daughter has a doll, and I am afraid of making it worse. Any help would be great!
    (It's a bit frizzy)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually learned how to wash dolls hair here on the board.

What you do is cover your doll I usually use cling wrap or press and seal so I don't get any on the face. Especially the eyes. Then I fill a pan or pitcher with downey and soak her hair for about two hours. Some people here on the board I think have done it for longer. Then you rinse it VERY well with water. Then I let the hair drip dry. You can also steam their hair dry which makes it very straight and takes out kinks. If it is an older doll the hair can take more heat than the newer dolls. Recently I have used a curling iron on low before it gets too hot and it takes kinks or friz out of their ends. Just be very careful.

Also welcome to the board!

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ August 14, 2006 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Molly92 ]</font></font>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 14, 2006 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Molly92 ]</font>

joelanddeborah

First of all, your new Sam is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!!

Just my two-cents worth: I definitely think she is worth more than $150.00. However, I really think you should keep her for YOURSELF!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I watched that auction, and honestly, I don't think that seller tried hard enough to make more money on it. I mean, how hard would it have been to just clean her a little and brush her hair?! I do think, though, that you are perfectly justified in reselling her if that is what you'd like to do. You've put time and energy into her, and LOOK!! Wow! She is a beauty! (You can tell I am a goner for white bodies...) Anyway, you should never feel badly about reselling, in my opinion. But look at her little face...and you got a great deal on a very collectible doll!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Donna Cotterman

I'm afraid I love her already. I can't afford her but she is a real beautiful doll. Aside from that, this Samantha is a piece of history. There are only so many WB, signed dolls out there.
    I do understand need... bills must be paid and we all have to eat... hold her for a little while and then be sure to present her in the best possible light. Tell her story. You are the owner and do not feel badly about re-selling this doll. Good Luck! ^j^ Mrs. C.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OMGoodness!! I love her too but think you should keep her yourself. You did an awesome job with her hair & cleaning her up. She's just beautiful!!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 29, 2006 11:18 AM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If I were you, I would tell a simplified version of your story on your ebay listing, particularly how you bought the doll and gave her some new things, but now have found that you need the money more.

I don't think the other seller should feel bad. I have purchased dolls from ebay that I adored on sight and could never part with, but there have also been dolls that I could never bond with. Buying something from a pic is often not a good indication of whether you are going to truly fall in love in person or not. Even if you had done nothing to improve the doll, you shouldn't feel bad about reselling her. It is sweet of you to consider the original seller's feelings, but she may not even notice the listing and if she does, that means that she is in the business of buying and selling AG so she should understand.

Good luck with your decision!

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 15, 2006 08:37 AM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a pretty Sam! I would definately think about it for awhile.. you may sell her and regret it down the road!
    I sold my pm sam that my grandparents bought me back in 1989 and I really regret it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First - you did a fantastic job making that sweet Samantha beautiful again!

Second - another thing to consider is that you do not have the certificate of authenticity for this signed Samantha. I know that her value increases if you have it, and the fact that it is missing may make some bidders with the money to spend on signed dollies leary of bidding.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth....