Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This thread is in response to questions asked from new board members about how to get good dolly pictures and make interesting albums. Here are some things I have learned from my own experiences. Hopefully, all of our great doll photographers here will add their own ideas.

One of the best tips I can give is to have your pictures showing the girls participating in some kind of action/reaction.
    Some examples:</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you are taking a picture of one of the dolls showing off her new school desk, start with having her sitting at the desk - then raise one of her arms in the air, put another doll as a teacher in front of her, have the two dolls look at each other, and have the teacher be pointing at the doll who has her hand raised.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If two dolls are having a conversation with each other, turn their bodies somewhat towards each other, and have them look at each others' eyes; let them be gesturing with their hands, instead of having their hands just hanging at their sides; maybe let one doll be holding something she could be telling the other doll about; or have one doll be touching the other on the arm.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If two dolls are playing soccer or baseball, turn their eyes toward the ball or the place the ball will be coming from or going to; have them be "moving" into the position to kick or throw the ball; put their non-throwing/kicking arms and legs in the positions a "real" person would be in if they were doing that same action; and always be sure their bodies are turned in the correctly alligned position for whatever they are doing.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If your doll is interacting with an animal, again have her eyes turned to the animal's face and her body angled toward the animal; have her be petting or somehow touching the animal; or have the animal's face touching her face and the dolly's arms up in the air in surprise.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Always imagine that your dollies are looking at something instead of just staring off into space, and turn their heads and their bodies accordingly, trying to have them posed as naturally as possible.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Other general tips:</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Use props - they can set a mood or add to the sense of action. I use lots of clear elastic bands, or white or pink silly putty to help my girls hold things. Props can help show action, or just add a sense of reality to the picture.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Take way more pictures than you think you will use, and take shots of the same scene from all different angles and using different lighting - including lowlight with a candle (or a scooter headlight!). Even try turning your camera at a slight angle in one direction or another. When Jack and I took Fia and Susan and the horses up the canyon last weekend, we took over 200 pictures - of which I will probably use only 10-15 in Fia's album.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Watch what is in the background of your photos. Too much "stuff" or a busy fabric pattern can take away from the action or the mood of the scene you are setting with your girls. On the other hand, using trees, plants, flowers, pictures, mirrors, etc. placed in the right places can add to the flavor of your shot.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't be afraid to take close-up shots. Use your camera's setting for close-ups so you don't end up with blurry photos, or stand back and use your camera's zoom feature to get in close.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Use some kind of photo editing tools to tweak your photos a little if they are not just what you want. I often use the Edit feature on ImageStation to crop out unwanted background and to brighten or add contrast to my album photos.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">About albums, I usually start with some idea of what I want to do and take tons of photos of what I think might implement or add to it. With my Independence Day Parade album, I started with the idea of including all my girls, having some participants and some spectators, having a float and decorated bikes, and having a Parade broadcast announcer. Then I took tons of photos as we set up and after the set-up was completed, from every conceivable angle (and yes, I was even on my belly, propped up on my elbows on the sidewalk to take some shots), trying to make each picture tell a little mini-story. Then came the long but exciting task of going through the pictures over and over again to begin the elimination process. I find as I go through the photos I have taken, that they often (because of the action in the shots) tell a story of their own - I just try to find the words to tell the story of the pictures, and place them in the right order to help the story make sense.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 25, 2006 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jeanette,
    Thank you for the most imformative post, I too love taking dollie pictures.

Here are some of my suggestions:
    Try to use natural light as much as possible, a flash and indoor light doesn't look as good as natural light.

Try to take your dolls outside, even in the winter.

Try to take a lot of photos of the same scene. Try getting low, standing high, moving around and getting different angels.

If there is low light and you don't use a flash, try to keep your hand as steady as possible, and take a couple photos of the same thing, so you'll have more of a chance to not get a blurry picture.

Use clear rubberbands to have your dolls holding something, it makes the girls seem more real. Like this:
    IMG 4282

Think about what real little girls do, and try to have the dolls do that. Have them coloring, taking pictures, playing hide and seek, etc. Like this:
    rachelcoloring

Jeanette said this, and it can't be more true, try to keep the background simple, especially if it doesn't have to do with the photo.

Try to set up the dolls in different ways, play with balance and see if you can take a photo of them walking, skiing, etc.

You don't always have to have a doll looking at the camera, they can be looking off, thinking. Like this:
    rachel 1

Those are just some ideas. Keep in mind to have fun, and practice, you always are getting better!

Jessica

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 25, 2006 06:37 PM: Message edited by: FarmhouseGirl ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great suggestions, guys! Here are some more:

-When you take a picture of your doll modeling something pretend she's a real model! Make sure she is looking straight at the camera at eye level. I perfer not using flash because it makes everything too bright! Put her in different poses like looking over her shoulder at the camera. However, she doesn't always have to look at the camera, she can look into the distance like she's looking at something. Also make sure her hair is neat and not messy or in her face. Remember to have her says, "CHEESE!" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This one is my favorite. Maybe I'll have more later.

- Get to EYE LEVEL with the doll. You'll probably have to squat way down, or lay on the floor. I find myself doing a sort of half-sit up crunch thing. I promise, though, that the shot will look better than if you sent the shot over her head.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Different angles and poses can capture different emotions that your dolls have.
    For example...
    Kat is afraid of getting her shoes dirty [img]tongue.gif[/img] :
    eecd5ddf</img>
    Now she's preoccupied as she gives Kit the map:
    eecd64a8</img>
    Though it's risky, don't be afraid to shoot albums outside. It looks much more realistic if you're shooting an outdoors, water or adventure album.
    eecd624f</img>
    Er, well, maybe not an archery field.
    Try to shy away from blank walls by hanging up sheets, scarves, etc.
    And when you make your imagestation albums, try to include dialogue from the dolls. It makes them so much more realistic!!
    ETA: Scenes and Settings are good not just for albums but as backgrounds when your dolls are modeling something. For example, part of our fall fashion spread/album:
    0809Pageeight nine</img>

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 26, 2006 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Kit, Kat, and Friends ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another idea...
    Putting your doll close to the camera can make "real-life" objects seem doll-sized. Here is Harper with the gigantic Bruce puppet in the background. It looks like he's about as proportionate to her as he is to me. And it appears that she could walk into my closet and grab some clothes (oh, how I wish I could do that with the doll clothes [img]wink.gif[/img] ):
    DSCN0149</img>

Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Could those of you who posted more suggestions and photos in this thread, please reproduce them on the sticky for traveling doll tips? We've changed it to the traveling doll tips/photography tips sticky.

I've already moved Jeanette's initial post there.

Thanks,
    Joy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you very much, Jeannette. The albums that have been created along the lines of your tips are interesting and, in many cases, informative. I enjoy looking at them.

Unfortunately, my albums are pretty boring, with my girls just standing there modeling cute outfits. I wish I were more creative...

Taffy

Junior Hostboard Member JordynLerwick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Dolly photography/Albums

The first includes them being deceased and analyzing them through a microscopic lense, which is neither very gentle nor competent.

- - - Updated - - -

The first includes them being deceased and analyzing them through a microscopic lense, which is neither very gentle nor competent.